General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dyna or Softail???

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2015, 07:53 PM
doc308
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Dyna or Softail???

I'm thinking about adding another machine to my stable and am considering either a new Dyna, maybe a Street Bob, or a Soft Tail, as in Slim. Does anyone have experience with these models who could give me a good comparison regarding comfort of the rear shocks. I'd be interested getting the one with the softer ride.

Thanks.

Old 09-09-2015, 07:57 PM
Iron lHorse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,375 Likes on 1,162 Posts

Originally Posted by doc308
I'm thinking about adding another machine to my stable and am considering either a new Dyna, maybe a Street Bob, or a Soft Tail, as in Slim. Does anyone have experience with these models who could give me a good comparison regarding comfort of the rear shocks. I'd be interested getting the one with the softer ride.

Thanks.
I'm really liking the Wideglide lately.

Old 09-09-2015, 08:39 PM
Prot
Club Member

Received 14,165 Likes on 6,216 Posts
Default Dyna or Softail???

Well, since this will be a second bike, what do you already have?

Your height, inseam, weight, intended usage, solo or two up, and other factors all come into play.

Generally, if you have one bike, get the one that is a jack of all trades that fits most of your usage.

If you have two bikes, get them at opposite ends of the spectrum.

The very best thing is to rent a couple of different bikes for a few days each.

I can't tell you that blue is better than red. Only you can decide that. However, I can tell you that black is beautiful.

Old 09-09-2015, 08:52 PM
16FXDLI
Tourer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I have a Dyna Low Rider and Softail Night Train. They are 2 completely different animals. Softail is smoother riding, by far.

I still love riding my Dyna too. Its more old school....rougher, more raw. Softail is smoother at speed, much less "felt" vibration.

Old 09-09-2015, 09:08 PM
UUNetBill
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 417 Likes on 247 Posts

I've been on a bagger for a few years (SG) and also wanted to add a more basic bike...looked at Breakouts, Fat Bobs, Slims...and at the end of the day went with a Street Bob. So far. I love it. Light(er), nimble, and a blast to ride. If you have a bigger bike right now, I vote Dyna all the way. But as others have said, it depends on what you have and what you want...

Old 09-09-2015, 09:33 PM
Thumper09
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Many think the Dyna is the last real Harley. Mine shakes like a crack addict at a stoplight and is thumpy at speed. I love it and wouldn't have it any other way.

Old 09-09-2015, 09:39 PM
the blob
Road Warrior
Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

Had. A dyna sg, it's a more faster rawer ride with vibes. My fat boy is as smooth as silk at all speeds, but feels less agile and slower off the line. But that said ,its my fav. Harley and it's like riding a caddy.

Old 09-09-2015, 09:41 PM
mmcbeat
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I ride a RK now but have owned both a Street Bob and a Deluxe. All things considered, I prefer the Street Bob over the Deluxe. I did however like both bikes. I never got used to the B motor on the softie, Harleys are supposed to shake at idle. To me the Street Bob is the Dyna to the Slim Softail, so tell me, why the difference in price. I think the Street Bob is the best bang for the buck in the whole Harley line up.

edit: I did a tad of research. For 2016 the Slim seems to be about $1000 more than the Bob and it has the high output motor so that might even things out somewhat. For 2015 the price difference was about $2000. I still prefer the Street Bob though.

Last edited by mmcbeat; 09-09-2015 at 09:49 PM.
Old 09-09-2015, 10:03 PM
E8USMCRET
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 20,250 Likes on 6,546 Posts

I have a Street Glide and a Softail Standard in the barn. I find the SG to be a pleasure to ride and am far more aggressive in my riding on it than on the Softail. The Softail is a 5 speed 88, and will shake like a ***** in church at 80 mph or higher. It's a love affair with no win at the end because each has there pro's and con's. The Softail is just plain old cool and turns more heads and get's more comments. The SG although a common sight on today's streets is pure treat to spend a few hours on.

As they say "cool ain't comfortable" but the Softail stays regardless.

Old 09-09-2015, 10:03 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,273 Likes on 11,143 Posts

I would suggest renting each for a day at an HD dealer. I have recently rented a Street Bob & a Fat Boy. They are different rides, that a longer term test will help you sort out.

Quick Reply: Dyna or Softail???