General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brain Bucket Struggle - Slides Off

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2015, 12:20 PM
AUTOT3K
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Brain Bucket Struggle - Slides Off

Hey guys.
I always wear a full face and recently since I got a fxdf and sold my sport bike I've been looking into getting a brain bucket.
I have a larger head at XXL - XXXL so finding a helmet that fits is a struggle, the problems I've been finding are. Most of them sit SOO high on my head I look like I'm getting shot out of a cannon and the bigger issue is, any of the ones I've tried on easily slide off my head backwards. Is that normal with buckets? I dont think wind would really pull it off but I can easily slide it off with my fingers and that makes me think in an accident it'd be gone. Ive tried a smaller size and that'd lead to a headache.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Old 09-12-2015, 12:54 PM
GTK
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 579 Likes on 414 Posts

Have you tried on the higher end half helmets? If it doesn't stay on your head properly it not worth much.

Old 09-12-2015, 12:56 PM
AUTOT3K
Tourer

Originally Posted by GTK
Have you tried on the higher end half helmets? If it doesn't stay on your head properly it not worth much.
Any suggestions on a brand?
Unfortunately HD didnt have any that would fit me so ive been stopping by the random bike shops in town and they all seem to carry kinda no name helmets that are around $150-$200 CND. So probably 100-150 equivalent in the US

Old 09-12-2015, 03:08 PM
Dynamick
Not a Moderator!
Received 6,660 Likes on 3,224 Posts

There must be a number of shops in Calgary that sell better-quality helmets like Arai, Shoei etc. What about Blackfoot?

You need to determine your head shape and buy a helmet model that fits that shape. Go to revzilla.com and do some research on the subject.

Old 09-12-2015, 05:43 PM
rocknrick
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Try the Bell Pit Boss. It has a strap on the back side that keeps the helmet from slipping back in the wind.

Old 09-12-2015, 07:28 PM
Bubba Zanetti
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 13,190 Likes on 5,617 Posts

Originally Posted by rocknrick
Try the Bell Pit Boss. It has a strap on the back side that keeps the helmet from slipping back in the wind.
You beat me to it. I have a big melon too and I went with a Pit Boss. Fits great, has an adjustable ratchet to help it stay on your head and the retractable visor is cool. The price is not too crazy high either. Clicky linky...

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#t...ractable+visor

Old 09-12-2015, 07:48 PM
AUTOT3K
Tourer

Originally Posted by Dynamick
There must be a number of shops in Calgary that sell better-quality helmets like Arai, Shoei etc. What about Blackfoot?

You need to determine your head shape and buy a helmet model that fits that shape. Go to revzilla.com and do some research on the subject.

Actually the selection isnt that great!

Blackfoot has a very limited half helmet selection and their largest size was XL
Bow cycle was about the same as blackfoot
Stampede had a lot to choose from but they were all these super cheap no name helmets that sat about 4 inches off your head
One Stop Biker Shop was about the same as Stampede
The hd dealer only carries up to XXL

I did actually find one at GW Cycle
It must be a clone to that Pit Boss, its made by GMax, dot approved and looks identical.

Now i just need to find some decent riding sun glasses, i grabbed a cheap pair of transitional lenses just to get me going.
Any suggestions on riding glasses for big heads? Haha

Old 09-12-2015, 08:01 PM
Dynamick
Not a Moderator!
Received 6,660 Likes on 3,224 Posts

Apologies for my first reply, I didn't read your original post well enough and assumed you were looking for a full face helmet.

Now that I understand what you're after I will put in a third recommendation for the Bell Pit Boss. The adjustment dial at the back allows you to customize the fit somewhat, and the mushroom effect isn't too bad. I got rid of all my other half helmets (and I had tried many) now that I have the Pit Boss.

Old 09-13-2015, 06:55 AM
indiandave
Road Master
Received 292 Likes on 170 Posts

I have a Daytona helmet that I like. I still like wearing my full face if I'm riding pretty far. I find a full face doesn't give you that beatup feeling on longer rides.

Old 09-13-2015, 07:17 AM
Scrambler900
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You need to get properly fitted at a good shop. Not wandering around yourself trying on random helmets.

Quick Reply: Brain Bucket Struggle - Slides Off