General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Bike Prices

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2015, 07:45 AM
smithk
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default New Bike Prices

Starting to think about upgrading to a new 2016 Street Glide Special. Wondering how much wiggle room they have in the MSRP? Since my 2005 Softtail is in such great condition, think I will sell it and then deal on a cash price and not have to deal with a trade in.

Old 09-14-2015, 07:54 AM
GTK
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 579 Likes on 414 Posts

Probably depends on how many new bikes the Dealer is going to receive this model year.The Moco said they going to cut back production in 2016 because of the sales last year.You would think they would give more incentives to clear the 2015's out and not raise the prices on the 2016's.

Old 09-14-2015, 08:05 PM
uklauren
Florida Crew Moderator
Received 3,389 Likes on 1,560 Posts

I don't think there will be much wiggle room a few weeks after they've just come out. Not sure where you are located but mid winter when it's cold is a better time. Not where I live though it's season in the winter.

See what you can get from the dealer besides a T shirt. First service free, 15% discount on parts and service for 90 days, store credit? Those things help.

Old 09-14-2015, 08:14 PM
Brewmany
Elite HDF Member
Received 657 Likes on 435 Posts

As much wiggle room as you can wrangle, no pat answer on the price, what ever you can negotiate.
Dealers are independent businesses and what's true with one might not fly at another.
Your idea to sell your bike vs a trade in is sound.
You're free to walk away from any price you don't like

Old 09-15-2015, 10:25 AM
flyboyron
Road Warrior
Received 262 Likes on 98 Posts

I agree. There are several factors on what the dealer will do to sell a bike.

I just happen to buy mine when the dealer was giving Full Retail Trade in on used bikes, plus I got $3,600.00 off MSRP on the new one.
I don't think that is too bad of a deal, no t-shirts, or oil changes though!
Most of the prices on the bikes I see, the sticker on the bike indicates they want $3,000 over MSRP.

You have to do your research and tell them what you want to pay. If they want to sell a bike they will work with you.

Old 09-15-2015, 10:55 AM
SPRINGER
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,269 Likes on 1,975 Posts

Originally Posted by smithk
Starting to think about upgrading to a new 2016 Street Glide Special. Wondering how much wiggle room they have in the MSRP? Since my 2005 Softtail is in such great condition, think I will sell it and then deal on a cash price and not have to deal with a trade in.
Good idea about selling your bike on your own instead of trying to trade it in. If you are interested in buying a new bike and you want to know about wiggle room, one way to find out.

Old 09-15-2015, 11:01 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,187 Likes on 2,454 Posts

Originally Posted by SPRINGER
Good idea about selling your bike on your own instead of trying to trade it in. If you are interested in buying a new bike and you want to know about wiggle room, one way to find out.
but don't totally discount the trade in either. when I traded mine in, I got full retail in trade. when combined with the tax savings (here in la, you don't pay tax on the full price, only on the amount after trade in is calculated), it made it a no brainer to trade in. no muss, no fuss, quick and easy.

Old 09-15-2015, 11:08 AM
GTK
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 579 Likes on 414 Posts

Unless you have a person in mind who would buy your bike,its a whole lot easier to trade it in and not go through the hassle of tire kickers,scam artists,etc.Craigs list is a joke,Cycle Trader is good if you have a bike in demand and priced right.

Old 09-15-2015, 12:02 PM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,704 Likes on 1,989 Posts

NY is another state where you pay sales tax on the trade difference only. That means I'd have to get 8% more selling the bike outright than the trade-in price just to break even. That's not even figuring in the hassle factor of selling the bike yourself.

Old 09-15-2015, 04:13 PM
smithk
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

The only thing about trying to sell it local is what to do when someone shows up and wants to take it for a ride. Just sold my daughters Sportster on ebay. Shipping it to MI and from there it is going to South America. Thought for sure it was a scam but only took payment through PayPal. PayPal took out their fee but at least it was a secure deal.

Quick Reply: New Bike Prices