General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Central Sierras on Fire

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2015, 10:26 AM
Mike Lawless
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 485 Likes on 324 Posts
Default Central Sierras on Fire

Today's destination led to Huntington Lake in the Central Sierras, altitude just under 8000 feet. About 50 miles to the south, the "Rough Fire" as it has been called is consuming massive swaths of forest in Kings Canyon Nat'l Park, home to giant Sequoias, some of the largest trees on earth. The fire has been burning for weeks, and firefighters are have a very difficult time getting a hold on it. Over management and human residency has upset the natural cycle, and the central Sierras have too high a tree population and loads of deadfall that natural fires, which are not allowed to burn just piles up. Thanks Sierra Club. Coupled with the drought, it's an explosive situation.
The smoke has been hanging in the air for a while now. Riding up near Huntington Lake, it was like a fog. In that photo of the lake, there are boats out there, and the mountain range, which cannot be seen. Ash was falling like a light snow.
It has gotten to the point to where there's virtually no where in the central Sierras one can go and not feel the effect.
All we can do is pray for rain.
The ride itself was pleasant aside from the thick smell of smoke. Traffic was light. Distance covered out and back was 140 miles with about half of that on delightfully curvy mountain roads.

Old 09-14-2015, 01:26 PM
roadrash3
Road Master
Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts

Yeah that is sad, i was going to ride the bike up to Jamestown harley this weekend, but worried that the smoke would really hurt the motor. So i rode towards the coast.

Old 09-14-2015, 09:38 PM
Randy Mac
Tourer
Received 61 Likes on 37 Posts
Old 09-14-2015, 10:10 PM
Mountain Cruiser
Banned
Received 502 Likes on 321 Posts

We got a couple of big fires in the area here, with alot of smoke. Strong winds today fanned the flames, but at least the temperatures are lower than the last few days and even a slight amount of rain.

MC

Old 09-14-2015, 10:27 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,244 Likes on 11,135 Posts

Here's praying for rain!

Old 09-14-2015, 10:36 PM
Sarah93003
Club Member
Received 30,067 Likes on 6,791 Posts

How very sad. This is some of the most beautiful country I've ever seen and a favorite area for me. 10-15 years ago there were so many trees up there killed by bark beetle I figured it was a matter of time before they became fuel. I hope they get a handle on it. The mighty Sequoias will survive.

Old 09-14-2015, 11:40 PM
OwnerOfHarriet
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You should see the number of trees killed by bark beetle this year.

Old 09-15-2015, 01:45 AM
Square
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We got a few light sprinkles here on the valley floor today. I was hoping it would have been more. Even here the ash can be seen falling. Indeed pray for rain.

Old 09-15-2015, 01:55 AM
HeadoftheBeast
Road Captain
Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

The fires have been devastating this year. Our air quality is starting to improve, but there are still some pretty large fires burning here too. Sad how many people have lost homes, how many great places out in the woods have been destroyed, and how much of an impact the fires have had on local economies.

Old 09-15-2015, 02:18 AM
Nickatnyt
Road Warrior
Received 123 Likes on 83 Posts

That was our hell here in northern WA for several weeks. It truly sucks and you just want it to go away but it doesn't. I've been through an F5 tornado and 2 knarly CA earthquakes but those were over with rather quickly. Massive fires are a slow ongoing nasty situation like being chained to a raging campfire that moves from one town or neighborhood to another with absolute devastation.

Last edited by Nickatnyt; 09-15-2015 at 02:21 AM.

Quick Reply: Central Sierras on Fire