General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Myrtle Beach Bike Week Opinions

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2015, 01:45 PM
Spider0408
Banned
Received 252 Likes on 131 Posts
Default Myrtle Beach Bike Week Opinions

I've been to Sturgis, Daytona, and a few others but never to Myrtle. Would welcome any opinions, impressions, or comments from those who have been there. Thinking about riding there from southern Ohio.

Old 09-14-2015, 01:51 PM
Hasher
Road Captain
Received 331 Likes on 180 Posts

it's okay but, it gets crowded as there aren't too many roads there. Also ,the city of Myrtle Beach made it very clear that they didn't want us there. In my opinion, I'll spend my money where I'm welcome.

Old 09-14-2015, 02:02 PM
jmaniace
Cruiser
Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts
Default It was good

Don't expect Daytona style bike week. It was a great time to be had up until about 5years ago. I think that is when Myrtle Beach City started messing with bikers in general. Had a helmet law in the city limits for a year but now I think that is gone.

We did go last year for the fall rally but went the 1st week so not much was going on. Plenty of space to ride most everything wasn't cranking up until the Wednesday before the second weekend. All the good stuff is to the south so if you plan to stay see if you can do it near murrells inlet sc.

Just my thoughts.

Old 09-14-2015, 02:47 PM
15SGS
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's ok...nothing like it used to be. I enjoy the ride down there the best. I always check out SBB, the Rat Hole, The Noisey Oyster for their steam pot, and Grandma's Kitchen for the breakfast buffet.

Old 09-14-2015, 03:01 PM
YeOldeStonecat
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,139 Likes on 1,505 Posts

Cruise south about 20 minutes to Murrells Inlet.....and check out "Inlet Crab House"...right there where 17 biz forks off. One of the best food stops I found down there....I'm picky about higher quality, more authentic food..versus the common fried crap. I didn't find anything in actual Myrtle Beach..for food..that I liked. It's crowded there.

And don't hang around for the following week..."sport bike week"..place gets trashed and the locals REALLY hate it.

Old 09-14-2015, 03:03 PM
Bigdave12768
Tourer

First off Myrtle beach never not wanted our bike week. it was the other bike they wanted. Yes its a lot calmer and no way as much riding. but stay to the south in Murells inlet. Plenty of great red neck biker bars. The beaver bar is one of my favorites. Also since its not as busy. Buy the tail end of show. Deals can be found. Like LED lights and such. they came to sell them. No repack them for Daytona

Old 09-14-2015, 03:05 PM
Thumper09
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Leesburg is the best.

Old 09-14-2015, 03:07 PM
Bigdave12768
Tourer

Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat
Cruise south about 20 minutes to Murrells Inlet.....and check out "Inlet Crab House"...right there where 17 biz forks off. One of the best food stops I found down there....I'm picky about higher quality, more authentic food..versus the common fried crap. I didn't find anything in actual Myrtle Beach..for food..that I liked. It's crowded there.

And don't hang around for the following week..."sport bike week"..place gets trashed and the locals REALLY hate it.
Sport Bike week follows the spring Rally. I am guessing he asking about the end of this month. I am going and cant wait

Old 09-14-2015, 03:08 PM
YeOldeStonecat
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,139 Likes on 1,505 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigdave12768
First off Myrtle beach never not wanted our bike week. it was the other bike they wanted.
I talked to "A LOT" of business owners and various staff when I was down there. They know that the usual Harley crowd is more mature, spends money, respectful, for the most part don't get out of control They actually like the traditional Harley bike week.

They strongly dislike the "sport bike" week. Restaurant wait staff complain about how much a whole table will just get up and leave, without paying. They get ripped off. Vandalism is crazy. Many condo owners will not rent during sport bike week due to the insane..absolutely insane..vandalism. The stories I heard...freaking crazy! The whole place gets trashed.

I was there for a part of it last year..saw it with my own eyes.

Old 09-14-2015, 03:24 PM
JimmyDee
Road Master
Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts

Been going since the late 80's and as far as riding is concerned fall bike week would be my pick because of less crowds. There are plenty of places to ride other than the Myrtle Beach area, south is Georgetown and Charleston, north there is Shallotte NC and Wilmington NC. Very nice dealership in Shallotte.

Everyone is right about the majority of the activities being in the Murrells Inlet area. Two great northern night spots are The Swing Bridge Saloon and the old Capt Poo's both in Little River. Wednesday of the second week on is when the crowds start to build.

The general consensus is the locals love the Harley weeks and hate the sport bike groups. I totally disagree with the stupid helmet ruling the town of MB tried to enforce several years ago. But there was a certain group of bikers that left them no choice and they could not just single out the problem group, the amendment had to blanket everyone to avoid civil law suits.

Fortunately as years pass the rally is getting back to what we came to enjoy several years ago.

Quick Reply: Myrtle Beach Bike Week Opinions