General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Likker Gitter Needed Help

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2015, 12:57 PM
E8USMCRET
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 20,250 Likes on 6,546 Posts
Default Likker Gitter Needed Help

When I was leaving work a guy on one of those little scooter, moped, trike, DUI likker gitters flagged me down for some reason. He asked me if I had jumper cables and would pay me $5 for a jump. I didn't have cables and probably wouldn't have even if I did. It occurred to me later that if I had jumped him wouldn't I have fubar'd his little scooter? Not sure what kind of batteries these things have but I guess it's something to consider if someone on one of these needs a jump.

Old 09-16-2015, 06:41 PM
kiltiemon
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know what voltage they have, either. I'd expect 12 volt (just to make the electrical parts easier to source).

Seems if that is the case, just connect without starting your engine and there should be enough power to turn over a small engine like that! Works for car to Harley jump!

Having an odd attraction to vehicles notorious for electrical eccentricities (both English and German), I carry a cigarette pack sized "Cobra" jumper pack on the bike. Claimed to be sufficient for multiple starts on a diesel V8, it's a cakewalk for a bike, and serves generally as an independent power source for other tasks.

Jim aka kiltiemon

Old 09-16-2015, 06:59 PM
Crashone
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 241 Likes on 192 Posts

I thought some of those things just used a magneto ignition. If so you could just push it off with whatever kind of clutch it had engaged.

Old 09-17-2015, 03:10 AM
Next In Line
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 160 Likes on 126 Posts

These days everything is fuel injected because it is better for the environment to have non-serviceable, toxic parts that fill up the land fill than fuel emissions dissipate in the air.

Old 09-17-2015, 05:32 AM
lloyd123
Tourer
Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Next In Line
These days everything is fuel injected because it is better for the environment to have non-serviceable, toxic parts that fill up the land fill than fuel emissions dissipate in the air.
WTFtake a nap

Old 09-17-2015, 07:10 AM
Imold
another old guy

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,726 Posts

Scooters have centrifugal clutches and use a variable pulley system instead of gears, so there's no push starting. Most have electric starters, thus batteries, and only 12 volt that I've ever heard of. Those little ones have real lightweight charging systems, wouldn't jump one with a Harley without shutting the bigger bike's engine off.

I have one of those tiny Lithium Ion jumper batteries, too, and they're safe to jump any 12V system. Mine will turn my 1200 over - with the bike's battery disconnected; they have plenty of power, highly recommend carrying one on a bike with no kick starter.

Old 09-17-2015, 11:01 AM
Mxdad
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 456 Likes on 356 Posts

I had to click on this thread just to see what a likker gitter was

Old 09-17-2015, 12:14 PM
E8USMCRET
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 20,250 Likes on 6,546 Posts

Where I live at least most of the newly suspended drivers from a DUI go right out and buy one of these things to get around on and "git liquor". Adjacent to where I work is a pretty jenky convenience store and it's like a little bike rally all day there with guys pulling up and grabbing 12 packs on these things.

Old 09-17-2015, 01:29 PM
UUNetBill
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 417 Likes on 247 Posts

I thought most of those little buzzers had kick starters?

Old 09-17-2015, 04:57 PM
Imold
another old guy

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,726 Posts

I don't pay much attention to the little ones, but I have noticed some with pull rope starters. Old ones? Chinese? I can't tell them apart.

I took a friend's cheap chinese scoot up the block once, felt like it had a rubber frame, made a bicycle seem solid by comparison; just constantly wiggled on smooth pavement. Last time he rode it, he woke up in the middle of an intersection with cars driving around him. Someone rear ended him and nobody stopped to see if the old guy laying in the road was injured. I suppose that could happen on a Harley, too.

I have an old Honda Helix, 250cc single, longer than my Sportsters. Call it my mini-glide, smoothest riding of all my 2 wheelers on crappy city streets. Be a neat ride if I could figure out how to put a V-Rod motor in it. Hang the motor beside it and disguise it with a fake sidecar?

Quick Reply: Likker Gitter Needed Help