General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Detachable Tour Pak

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2015, 10:33 PM
slowrollin
Road Master
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Detachable Tour Pak

Was thinking about making my Tour Pak detachable but had a couple of questions. Where would you relocate the CB antenna too? I was talking to a guy I saw today who made his tour pak detachable on his 2015 CVO Ultra Limited. But he said there wasn't a product out there to relocate the CB antenna inside the fairing where he relocated the radio antenna, so he just doesn't use the CB. I really don't want to lose the use of the CB. Also, I assumed the Tour Pak would be pretty light since it's just a fiberglass box, but he said it weighed about 60lbs and wasn't that easy to get on and off by yourself. Anyone else experience this?

Old 09-18-2015, 05:46 AM
BOBLAND
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We added a CB module to my wife's 2014 Street Glide and after using a J&M in fairing CB antenna and the stock AM-FM we were not happy with the range of the CB. We changed it to a CB at the rear and a Antenna Concepts in fairing AM-FM antenna. They are out of Michigan. Better quality than J&M. I think someone makes a kit to convert the CB for detach kits. Hope this helps.

Old 09-18-2015, 06:59 AM
slowrollin
Road Master

Originally Posted by BOBLAND
We added a CB module to my wife's 2014 Street Glide and after using a J&M in fairing CB antenna and the stock AM-FM we were not happy with the range of the CB. We changed it to a CB at the rear and a Antenna Concepts in fairing AM-FM antenna. They are out of Michigan. Better quality than J&M. I think someone makes a kit to convert the CB for detach kits. Hope this helps.
So, here CB antenna is now located down where the stock AM/FM antenna used to be?

Old 09-18-2015, 07:26 AM
slowrollin
Road Master

Originally Posted by BOBLAND
So, here CB antenna is now located down where the stock AM/FM antenna used to be?

Old 09-18-2015, 07:44 AM
BOBLAND
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes the CB is now where the AM-FM used to be. Make sure you use the right mast for it as they are different. Had to look real close at the bottom to see where it is stamped CB. The phone number for Antenna Concepts is 734-854-1355. Real nice guy and very knowledgeable.

Old 09-18-2015, 09:04 AM
farmboy555
Road Warrior
Received 105 Likes on 96 Posts

Being an old trucker the one thing I've learned is that the antenna makes or break your CB. The signal is all about line of sight. Taller the better

Old 09-18-2015, 09:27 AM
BigDogIdaho
Grand HDF Member
Received 187 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by farmboy555
Being an old trucker the one thing I've learned is that the antenna makes or break your CB. The signal is all about line of sight. Taller the better

You could run all sorts of antennas, but how far do you want signal to reach? Do you use it to talk to a person just ahead of you, or some distance away?

Old 09-18-2015, 07:24 PM
slowrollin
Road Master

Originally Posted by BigDogIdaho

You could run all sorts of antennas, but how far do you want signal to reach? Do you use it to talk to a person just ahead of you, or some distance away?
I have the stock antenna now and I can talk to someone a little less than 1/4 mile away. I use it for communications on group rides.

Old 09-19-2015, 10:40 AM
Onramp
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I love the detach kit. The kit comes with an AM/FM antenna mount which locates it down low between the fender and saddlebag. Harley makes a CB antenna mount kit which matches the AM/FM on the other side of the rear fender. BTW, I have both mounts - solo and normal - for my tourpak. I have a two piece seat so I can take the pillion off when running the solo setup. The 15's wiring makes the change a snap.

Old 09-19-2015, 10:50 AM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,384 Likes on 2,951 Posts

You can increase your footprint with a 100W linear amp.

Quick Reply: Detachable Tour Pak