General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Im pretty much done with Done with most after market Harley stuff

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2015, 01:46 AM
kalikali
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Im pretty much done with Done with most after market Harley stuff

As much as I hate wasting money or paying a premium for Harley stuff, I can now see the advantage of it. I generally buy my Harley's used to save money in general and on the upgrades the previous owner purchased. I recently purchased a new street glide to take advantage of the new technology. I went to the dealer first to buy adjustable fairing wind deflectors and the price was $120 plus tax. I felt it was ridiculously overpriced, went to ebay and tried some chinese trash at $30. Waited and waited package came in, was an absolute joke. No directions, no real bolts to hold it in and one of the main bolts broke as I was trying to put it together. Then dealing with the mess of the Chinese seller was a PIA and he didnt want to accept the returned item. Got my money back and bought a $80 pair off ebay, waited for it then that item didnt fit correctly at all. If I used the item, It would have damaged my paint. The seller out of the goodness of his heart said he will charge me a $15 fee to return the item. I am disputing it with ebay now.

Then I bought a driver back rest, which was horrible. It flexed a good 3 inches when I leaned on it offered absolutely no support. My ultra oem backrest is made of steel and works well and actually supports weight.

I have spent hours dealing with these resellers on the net, trying to install sub par items on my bike, the repackaging the item and the joy of going to UPS, USPS and trying to send this garbage back. Plus on one of the items I am out $25 for shipping. Complete bullshit! The backrest item stated if it doesnt fit right use electric tape to wrap around it. I **** you not.

I feel for the small guys trying to do a small business and dont want to put a bad word out there for them, BUT dont sell trash which clearly doesnt fit/work on ebay or the net. My time is valuable and I do not want to waste it on this nonsense. I am completely willing to pay the 40% PREMIUM on something that works and I dont have to deal with the headache shipping return costs, ebay and bs sellers!

If you sell aftermarket stuff, please build quality stuff and be honest of the product in your adds.

Rant over...

Old 09-18-2015, 02:12 AM
HoggyMtnBreakdown
Elite HDF Member
Received 119 Likes on 87 Posts

Buy reputable brands from reputable dealers and you likely won't have a problem. Plenty of good (if not great) non-HD stuff out there. Much of it made by good people with good service right in the good ol' U.S. of A.

Old 09-18-2015, 02:27 AM
Next In Line
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 160 Likes on 126 Posts

You are buying from Chinese sellers on ebay then bashing ALL aftermarket companies for bad quality?

Is this the iron order parody thread #4?

Old 09-18-2015, 02:29 AM
kalikali
Intermediate

Originally Posted by HoggyMtnBreakdown
Plenty of good (if not great) non-HD stuff out there. Much of it made by good people with good service right in the good ol' U.S. of A.
I agree 100%!

Old 09-18-2015, 02:32 AM
kalikali
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Next In Line
You are buying from Chinese sellers on ebay then bashing ALL aftermarket companies for bad quality?

Not ALL, I completely support local. My Custom Dynamic lights are amazing and love the product! But the other selling sub par products..

Old 09-18-2015, 03:53 AM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,478 Likes on 2,478 Posts

I buy mostly HD & SE stuff, because I know the fitment will be perfect. Unless it's something cosmetic where it doesn't matter.

Old 09-18-2015, 03:58 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,063 Likes on 2,501 Posts

I like accessories and parts made by Americans. When I add or replace something I always look for that first. For instance:

JES fork deflectors
Cee Bailey's screens
Baker drive train product
Bruckus security products
Capt Itch leather gear
Corbin seats

Both my Harleys have these products on them right now. I guess that's one of the things I like about a Harley the most. There is such a vast aftermarket that Harley could quit making motorcycles today and in a 100 years there would still be Harleys on the road. It sounds like you're just fed up with cheap stuff and I don't blame you. I learned a long time ago, the cheapest way to buy something is to buy it once.

Old 09-18-2015, 05:11 AM
YeOldeStonecat
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,145 Likes on 1,508 Posts

Plenty of good quality "made in America' aftermarket stuff out there.....

And I prefer getting parts from swap meets, which I frequently go to. This way you can see it, touch it, hold it, get it for a great price...and it's authentic old stuff, not the cheap made in china stuff you get through the stealership these days.

Plus getting old stuff from swap meets brings old parts back to life, letting them live again on a new bike. And you get to have add-ons and mods that aren't "just like everyone elses" stealership bought SE generic mods.

Old 09-18-2015, 05:35 AM
1004ron
Road Warrior
Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Next In Line

Totally agree - the thread title is misleading.

Before opening the thread I would never have guessed it was about cheap Chinese crap off eBay.

Old 09-18-2015, 06:15 AM
LS Bob
Road Warrior
Received 175 Likes on 125 Posts

Ebay listings clearly show where stuff is coming from. OP's experience is a reminder to check and, for me, not to buy from Chinese and other countries of origin.

Quick Reply: Im pretty much done with Done with most after market Harley stuff