General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Now know the difference between half and full helmet

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2015, 11:25 AM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 141 Likes on 114 Posts
Default Now know the difference between half and full helmet

Since we moved to the desert heat and quite a few of my rides have been under a half hour I decided to pick up a half helmet (Core Shorty X). I normally wear a Nolan modular which I like very much but also wanted t try something different.

My first ride that included higher speeds and a few miles of interstate made me realize that I don't have it in me to ride with this style in any conditions other than casual and short. Even with earplugs (which made it far better), I found the helmet to feel like it was sliding a bit. Coupled with a windy day blasting some sand at me at 70mph, had me a little off.

I love the fit and comfort and certainly the ease of the new helmet but don't think I'll be using it on the highway again. Props and respect to those that can ride all the time and in all conditions, that's for sure!

Old 09-18-2015, 11:39 AM
Qdog002
Stellar HDF Member
Received 866 Likes on 546 Posts

Robbyville,
I did the complete opposite. When I got my HD, I went out and bought a HJC half helmet. Rode a few times with it and said nope. Bought a FF Shoei GT Air.

Old 09-18-2015, 11:57 AM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Qdog002
Robbyville,
I did the complete opposite. When I got my HD, I went out and bought a HJC half helmet. Rode a few times with it and said nope. Bought a FF Shoei GT Air.
LOL, grass is always greener after all. I really like the modular, even more now! Still, I think I'll like the half helmet for those short little jaunts.

Old 09-18-2015, 12:02 PM
AnotherBlackSG
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 22 Posts

it sounds like your helmet isn't sized/fitted properly. If it was, wind wouldn't make it move around like you describe.

Regardless, if you've always worn a full faced, then you're definitely gonna notice the difference in comfort. You have nothing to block the wind in your face so it's a whole different feel and I think it tends to take more out of you on long rides. Some prefer it and some don't.

Old 09-18-2015, 12:16 PM
rauchman
Grand HDF Member
Received 3,232 Likes on 1,254 Posts

My helmets these days are a Nolan N43 and a Schuberth C3.

I like the head snuggle factor of the Schuberth (although, the N43 fits my head better), but LOVE the huge eyeport of the N43. There is zero peripheral vision blockage from the helmet, whereas on the Schuberth I have to turn my head to the side a bit to check the lane before lane switching.

The N43 is a 3/4 helment with a snap in chin guard and removable visor. Best fitting helmet I've owned. With the visor on and using earplugs, there is no difference to the Schuberth in terms of noise. For the money spent, I don't think the Schuberth is "all that". Exploring a Shoei Neotec as the next helment option.

Old 09-18-2015, 12:25 PM
bluerider1951
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hearing aids feedback in full helmet

I've got both half and full helmets but I usually wear my half because my hearing aids feedback in the full and I am deaf when I turn them off. 105 decibel loss! I can't even hear my roadking run at idle.

Old 09-18-2015, 12:30 PM
Rick58
Road Warrior
Received 325 Likes on 208 Posts

You say it was sliding a bit and that you love the fit and comfort. Guess what, it doesn't fit you properly.

Old 09-18-2015, 12:54 PM
Thumper09
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It takes some time to get used to the noise and turbulence but after a few months you'll find it very enjoyable.

Old 09-18-2015, 01:17 PM
knitski
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I always ride with a half helmet but I also always have a windshield.

Old 09-18-2015, 01:20 PM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by AnotherBlackSG
it sounds like your helmet isn't sized/fitted properly. If it was, wind wouldn't make it move around like you describe.

Regardless, if you've always worn a full faced, then you're definitely gonna notice the difference in comfort. You have nothing to block the wind in your face so it's a whole different feel and I think it tends to take more out of you on long rides. Some prefer it and some don't.
Definitely felt like it took more out of me.

I do think that it fits properly. Sits all the way down, quite snug, etc. I've been fitting bicycle, ski, and other styles of helmets most of my adult life as part of my job and think that I know what I'm doing. Maybe it's just the nature of the beast, wind gets under the rim of the helmet and it's going to have some upward force. I don't think it was actually moving, just felt like it would if my chin strap wasn't very tight. Maybe my head shape (narrow and small coupled with a being bald) contributed to the challenge.

Originally Posted by Rick58
You say it was sliding a bit and that you love the fit and comfort. Guess what, it doesn't fit you properly.
See above, I'm pretty sure it fits properly. Comes down to just over my eyebrows and is a snug fit. But perhaps my head shape isn't conducive to this style. But I do think that no matter what your style, if wind flows around and under the brim of the helmet that it's going to apply some upward force trying to move the helmet.

Originally Posted by Thumper09
It takes some time to get used to the noise and turbulence but after a few months you'll find it very enjoyable.
Maybe so. I'm not throwing it away by any means, I really enjoyed it cruising around at normal speeds up to 50 mph.

Quick Reply: Now know the difference between half and full helmet