General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will slip-on swap effect a dyno tune?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2015, 08:32 PM
h-d wrencher
Stellar HDF Member
Received 796 Likes on 302 Posts
Default Will slip-on swap effect a dyno tune?

I am pondering changing slip-ons so I can go back to chrome. How much, if any, will it affect my tune? I called Fuel Moto and talked to them and they say it will definitely affect the tune. Not sure if they just want me to bring it back for another $250 tune or if it will actually make that big of a difference. I am going from 3.5" Reinharts to something 4". Possibly RC Components or Freedom. Thanks for any input.

Old 09-18-2015, 09:09 PM
weezer_nd
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes, it will. When your bike is dyno-tuned, it is set to perform at the optimum level, with the current setup of the bike. Changing components requires you to recalibrate. What year bike is your ride?

Old 09-18-2015, 09:51 PM
h-d wrencher
Stellar HDF Member

Its a 2009 Street Glide. Andrews 48s, Ness Big Sucker, PC V and dyno tune by Fuel Moto.

Old 09-19-2015, 12:42 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 968 Likes on 731 Posts

If you were putting on something that was very close to what it on there you'd probably be fine, but going to a different diameter will definitely change things enough to require a new tune.

Old 09-19-2015, 04:39 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,179 Likes on 2,450 Posts

if you want to change your exhaust, but don't want to have a dyno done, just get with fuel moto and ask them for a canned map for your setup. you get a map that's close, and you don't have to pay for it.

Old 09-19-2015, 04:42 PM
Tampa Fatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,431 Likes on 4,751 Posts

If you do it correctly you wont need a dyno. Plenty of vendors with maps.

Last edited by Tampa Fatboy; 09-20-2015 at 01:12 AM.
Old 09-19-2015, 06:14 PM
h-d wrencher
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by skratch
if you want to change your exhaust, but don't want to have a dyno done, just get with fuel moto and ask them for a canned map for your setup. you get a map that's close, and you don't have to pay for it.
When I did my cams I got a canned map from Fuel Moto. It ran like.... not so well. They dynoed it and it made a world of difference. Could always try it and see what happens. I realize a canned map will never be as good as a dyno tune.

Old 09-20-2015, 06:29 AM
hawwk
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You say you already had it tuned by FM. So why not call them and tell them what slip on you are going to put on and see what they say?

Old 09-20-2015, 06:32 AM
OKMICK
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 36,875 Likes on 17,362 Posts

Originally Posted by h-d wrencher
I am pondering changing slip-ons so I can go back to chrome. How much, if any, will it affect my tune? I called Fuel Moto and talked to them and they say it will definitely affect the tune. Not sure if they just want me to bring it back for another $250 tune or if it will actually make that big of a difference. I am going from 3.5" Reinharts to something 4". Possibly RC Components or Freedom. Thanks for any input.
Originally Posted by hawwk
You say you already had it tuned by FM. So why not call them and tell them what slip on you are going to put on and see what they say?

Ya read the first post, right?

Old 09-20-2015, 06:43 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,622 Posts

Originally Posted by hawwk
OP already indicated this in their original post & FM said it will affect tune.

OP; If you want to know the if, answer is "yes" your tune will be impacted w/this swap. Now the question is - how much? Do you want to pay for another dyno when performance change is minimal? If it were my bike, I'd swap the pipes, get the canned tune and ride-on. You're not going to see a huge difference in slip-on swap. Just make sure you get a good header/pipe seal (e.g. no leaks) and it should be good...JMO.

Quick Reply: Will slip-on swap effect a dyno tune?