General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C&C Sport Tour or Danny Gray LowIST seat?

Old 09-21-2015, 12:59 PM
rauchman
Grand HDF Member
Received 3,214 Likes on 1,250 Posts
Default C&C Sport Tour or Danny Gray LowIST seat?

Greetings,

I'm on a 2013 Dyna Switchback and I feel like I'm on the eternal quest for the right seat.

I'm 6' / 34" inseam. When I first got the bike (Oct 2013), I knew I'd be switching the seat out quickly. Through HD's seat program, was able to test out ...
- Sundowner Dual - Moves rider forward 1" and up 1"....this felt too cramped
- Sundowner Solo - Moves rider back 1" and up 1"..my wife uses this on her Switchback, she's got a Switchback too, and this one isn't bad, but no backrest
- Tallboy - Moves rider up 2" and back 1.75". It looks like a tumor on the bike and is a little much on the height / rearward change and....no backrest

I was lucky and found a used Corbin Classic Solo w/ backrest and had Corbin make a pillion as well. It moves the rider back 1" and down 1". While the position isn't bad, I'd rather be moved up than down, but not a deal breaker. I love that it's leather (it breathes and I don't get swamp *** anymore) and I LOVE having a backrest. However......
It is like sitting on a f***ing rock though. After about 2.5 - 3 hours of riding, I start squirming. Getting into a full day of riding, I'm getting butt burn from hot spots. I feel every ripple in the road from this seat (and this is with upgraded suspension). Ultimately, it's an extremely well made quality seat, but like I had read repeatedly, it's a love it or hate it seat due to the hardness. I'm in the latter camp on this one.

Looking to explore other options that meet the following criteria...

- Backrest
- 2up capable in comfort
- Leather
- Reposition the rider (that would be me) 1" back
- Be Switchback sissy bar friendly ( I mention this since the Corbin pillion had to be special ordered since the standard one was too wide)

I've come across the C&C Sport Touring and Danny Gray LowIST seats. I KNOW the C&C seat can be had with a backrest, while I THINK the Danny Gray can be had with one.

Anyone with thoughts on these seats? How do they compare to the Corbin?

Appreciate the feedback. I, and my ***, thank you!

Last edited by rauchman; 09-21-2015 at 01:02 PM.
Old 09-21-2015, 01:18 PM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 141 Likes on 114 Posts

I can't compare to the Corbin but can against the Danny Gray weekday and Mustang vintage.

I use the C&C Squareback which is the same as the sport tour but with a slightly smaller passenger section. The C&C moves you back and down compared to stock by about an inch. It has been a great seat for me and has gotten better as time goes on. However it is stiffer than some people expect especially at first. You may want to consider a gel insert (although I don't find it necessary) if you plan to do multiple long days maybe. I don't use their backrest but have seen them.

I will say that C&C delivered a great product with wonderful service, made to order and delivered within about 10 days.

Good luck!

Old 09-21-2015, 02:00 PM
rauchman
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by robbyville
I can't compare to the Corbin but can against the Danny Gray weekday and Mustang vintage.

I use the C&C Squareback which is the same as the sport tour but with a slightly smaller passenger section. The C&C moves you back and down compared to stock by about an inch. It has been a great seat for me and has gotten better as time goes on. However it is stiffer than some people expect especially at first. You may want to consider a gel insert (although I don't find it necessary) if you plan to do multiple long days maybe. I don't use their backrest but have seen them.

I will say that C&C delivered a great product with wonderful service, made to order and delivered within about 10 days.

Good luck!

Mucho appreciated on the info. Granted, I realize everyone's physical geometry is a little different, but....

- Do you get hot spots on the seat?
- How is the front of the seat...narrow, wide?
Is there a distinct edge (the corner from the top of the seat going to the sidewall of the seat) to the seat where your thighs would be? In other words, on the Corbin, I feel the edge of the seat and after some saddle time, this creates a hot spot for me. The edge is pronounced and not gradual.
- Would you know if C&C allows for some customization with the seat position, if they would a little higher than lower in the seat height?

Thanks!!!!! Also, my mom lives in Palm Desert (Indian Ridge). Next time I'm out that way....let's ride!!!

Old 09-21-2015, 05:15 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,178 Likes on 2,449 Posts

while I can't compare the exact seats that you're looking at, I can give you my experience between corbin, c&c, and danny gray. I had a corbin close solo on my 2007 roadking. yes, it's firm, but butt felt better after a long day on that seat vs a softer seat. i'm not sure why, (guess I love my wife) but gave the corbin to the wife and got the c&c solo (leather). liked that seat as much as the corbin. it too, was firm, though not quite as firm as the corbin. very good all day seat.

come 2010, with the mounting changes and the corbin and c&c would not fit. got a danny grey speed cradle for my roadglide and absolutely hated it. on a trip of any length, it would cause my twig and berries to fall asleep. now you want to talk about a weird feeling you being taller wouldn't have that problem cause you wouldn't even entertain the idea behind this seat. also tried a dg big seat. while it alleviated the problem with my junk falling asleep, it was the most uncomfortable seat ever. it made a stock Harley seat feel amazing. I would ride to the next town over, about 45 miles, and would have to get off and walk. torture device would not even begin to describe this seat.

so in short, if you break the corbin in, you may find you like it. a lot. if not, I would go with the c&c with no reservations. and to answer a couple of your questions, on the c&c I didn't have that hard ridge on the edge of the seat, and yes, they do do some customization when building the seat. best to talk to them on the phone to figure out how much.

Old 09-21-2015, 07:15 PM
Tampa Fatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,431 Likes on 4,751 Posts

C&C is a good seat, I remember correctly it was Chuck. Owned a couple of them

Old 09-21-2015, 07:16 PM
Carl '69
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 694 Likes on 338 Posts

No experience with the Danny Gray seat, but have the C&C Sport Tour on my '02 FXD & love it. Very comfortable & good looking seat.

Originally Posted by rauchman
- Do you get hot spots on the seat? No
- How is the front of the seat...narrow, wide? Narrow
Is there a distinct edge (the corner from the top of the seat going to the sidewall of the seat) to the seat where your thighs would be? In other words, on the Corbin, I feel the edge of the seat and after some saddle time, this creates a hot spot for me. The edge is pronounced and not gradual. Rounded over
- Would you know if C&C allows for some customization with the seat position, if they would a little higher than lower in the seat height? No idea....
Just call C&C & ask 'em about any tweaks you may have in mind. They're very easy to work with & are very reasonable on customization.

Old 09-21-2015, 07:26 PM
surfcitybeach
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just put a C&C Sport Tour on my 15' SG, and did 300 miles on it yesterday. It was fine until the last 60 miles or so. It looks awesome on the bike, and the customer service is the best. Chuck took the order and had it to me in 5 days. The lines going back to the passenger seat are well defined, but not too sharp. The gel pad in the rider position didn't seem to make a difference, and my wife said the seat was great all day for her....but she's all of 100 lbs.. I almost ordered the Danny Gray tourIST, but the lines looked too hard.

Old 09-21-2015, 07:29 PM
surfcitybeach
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 09-21-2015, 07:53 PM
kevinckb3
Advanced
Received 23 Likes on 8 Posts

I just picked up a Danny Gray bigseat solo and it fit my butt well and I like the looks on my low rider . the more miles I put on it the better it feels . However I do believe there is a seat for every butt. I was in luck that my dealer had the Danny Gray in house and for a great price .Also was a plus that I got to test ride it before I bought it , I'm 5"11 32 inch inseam. I have a seat from Sick Saddles that is very well crafted and a beautiful seat but I cant sit on it for more than 100 miles.

Old 09-22-2015, 07:02 AM
rauchman
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by skratch
while I can't compare the exact seats that you're looking at, I can give you my experience between corbin, c&c, and danny gray. I had a corbin close solo on my 2007 roadking. yes, it's firm, but butt felt better after a long day on that seat vs a softer seat. i'm not sure why, (guess I love my wife) but gave the corbin to the wife and got the c&c solo (leather). liked that seat as much as the corbin. it too, was firm, though not quite as firm as the corbin. very good all day seat.

come 2010, with the mounting changes and the corbin and c&c would not fit. got a danny grey speed cradle for my roadglide and absolutely hated it. on a trip of any length, it would cause my twig and berries to fall asleep. now you want to talk about a weird feeling you being taller wouldn't have that problem cause you wouldn't even entertain the idea behind this seat. also tried a dg big seat. while it alleviated the problem with my junk falling asleep, it was the most uncomfortable seat ever. it made a stock Harley seat feel amazing. I would ride to the next town over, about 45 miles, and would have to get off and walk. torture device would not even begin to describe this seat.

so in short, if you break the corbin in, you may find you like it. a lot. if not, I would go with the c&c with no reservations. and to answer a couple of your questions, on the c&c I didn't have that hard ridge on the edge of the seat, and yes, they do do some customization when building the seat. best to talk to them on the phone to figure out how much.
Excellent info!!! Thanks!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: C&C Sport Tour or Danny Gray LowIST seat?