General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Texting drivers are worrying me more.

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2015, 07:14 AM
C908
Road Warrior
Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Texting drivers are worrying me more.

I'm wondering if any of you are getting more concerned for your safety with the never ending increase of texting drivers. It amazes me how we have arrived at this epidemic that we must deal with daily. Yesterday I probably saw more than 25 people looking down texting while they were driving. I was walking my dog and a lady failed to yield for us in a designated area where we had the right of way. I clearly saw her texting as she went past us. As much as I love to ride I am starting to re-evaluate how and where I ride. I have been riding since 1974 and feel like it is more dangerous now than it has ever been before. I felt much safer dealing with stoned drivers back in the 70's. At least with the stoned drivers most of them were driving slow, both hands on the wheel and looking straight ahead. I really don't understand the obsession people have with texting. I have a 30 year old neighbor lady with a 5 year old and a new born in her vehicle that I witnessed texting at an intersection. I could go on and on but I won't. It may come to a point where I question if I want to continue the risk of riding my bike. Anyone else feel this way ?

Old 09-24-2015, 07:18 AM
scarey
Advanced
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I agree totally,it is beyond ridiculous ,the constant need to be attached /connected to phones ,I think this is a whole new impaired driving & worse,because as you said,at least stoned drivers are looking at the road,& lets not forget the driving with hoods up on sweatshirts & earphones in.

Old 09-24-2015, 07:25 AM
Chipster27
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

We have a phrase in boating, keep your head on a swivel. The best thing you can do is constantly assess your surroundings. People texting is out of your control, all you can do is ensure you're dialed in to your surroundings.

Yes, it's a huge concern of mine.

Old 09-24-2015, 07:28 AM
MikeBel
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,494 Likes on 637 Posts

Totally agree. It's scary when a lot of drivers are grabbing for their phones BEFORE they stop at a light or are still texting as they pull away. Or just cruising at 75 MPH looking straight down.

For me, motorcycling is meant to be fun and relaxing. This has definitely changed a bit with all the Kamikaze Texters out there.

The following users liked this post:
Wild_Hog (06-28-2017)
Old 09-24-2015, 07:33 AM
Bubba Zanetti
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 13,182 Likes on 5,609 Posts

I agree. Pennsylvania passed a law against it several years ago but its rarely if ever enforced. It seems like every other car I see has someone behind the wheel texting. I have started blasting the horn or rapping the pipes to get their attention but they usually just flip me off or go right back to the text.

Old 09-24-2015, 07:41 AM
Ray on the drums
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,134 Likes on 512 Posts

I text while riding so I don't have to see it.
Name:  sick_and_tired_green_guy.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  10.7 KB

Old 09-24-2015, 07:46 AM
15SGS
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same here. I can't believe how dangerous it is now. Almost every time I ride I have people pulling out in front of me, swerving in my lane, etc. I've never been this paranoid about riding.

Old 09-24-2015, 08:19 AM
Sw1
Road Captain
Received 51 Likes on 45 Posts

It has definitely changed my style of riding. I am more paranoid than before and I tend to either run ahead of the pack or behind. I try and leave adequate space on the highway but some f**ker will always jump in front and minimize my space. I think the most scary ones are the minivan moms that go 45 through the school zones and almost rear end me because I am doing the school zone limit. they are looking at their phones, and what blows my mind is they are dropping off kids! I am slowing down to be safe for your damn kids and you are flying past me, texting to drop them off.
I hope there is an after life, cause if I get killed by a texter I am coming back as vigilante.

Old 09-24-2015, 08:29 AM
Ronder
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree, I am amazed here in Wisconsin, when you are driving on a state highway and a car or truck pulled up to a cross road stop sign, as you pass them, their heads are looking down. Their surely not checking out their 'privates'!!!

Old 09-24-2015, 08:37 AM
E8USMCRET
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 20,250 Likes on 6,546 Posts

I was on a 4 lane divided highway a few weeks ago and was behind what I thought was a drunk driver. When we hit a red light I pulled up to his right and looked over and it was a college age pimple face with his chin locked down to his chest texting away with both hands. The light turned green and he looked over at me just staring at him, he dropped the phone and took off making he first exit. This guy had absolutely no clue what was going on around him. His entire focus was the device in his hands not the world around him.

Quick Reply: Texting drivers are worrying me more.