General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

As fall riding approaches....

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2015, 09:38 AM
YeOldeStonecat
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,118 Likes on 1,496 Posts
Default As fall riding approaches....

I actually love this time of year for riding...leaving for work early in the morning, the air is very crisp. Yeah...gotta toss a jacket on...but temps in the 40's and 50's in the morning are nice....refreshens you on the ride in like a cuppa coffee.

Air has a different smell about it, more clear..or more clean or something.

Cold air...engine happier...

Pretty soon the leaves will be falling. Riding out here in the country changes..as the sound of riding changes when the leaves fall (and again next spring when they grow back). As I barrel down the highway...the clapping cadence coming from the pipes changes tone when the leaves are gone..and it's just bare trees....there's no echo from the foliage. Kinda neat changes in the sound.

Tourism slows way down up here in coastal New England....get the roads more to myself in the morning...bigger spaces and gaps...even empty stretches for a while. Love those times....get a huge chunka highway to myself...open her up a bit, and enjoy the music from the Shovelhead coming out the old Paughco pipes...and just settle into that groove with the bike.

Twas a fun ride into the office this morning...realized fall was here and these thoughts went through my head.

Looking forward to fall foliage rides...and especially the White Mountains in New Hamp next weekend.

Old 09-24-2015, 09:45 AM
rhythm1978
Tourer
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Totally agree. I don't have any country roads on my way into work. But a little stretch here and there where there isn't much traffic. One long slow winding road for about two miles is the best part of my ride in. I typically plan a day trip or two due north to the state park to see all the leaves changing this time of year. Of course, being in Memphis, nothing has changed yet. Cooled down a lot overnight so the mornings are nice. But still 90 during the day.

Old 09-24-2015, 09:53 AM
YeOldeStonecat
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,118 Likes on 1,496 Posts

Originally Posted by rhythm1978
Totally agree. I don't have any country roads on my way into work. But a little stretch here and there where there isn't much traffic. One long slow winding road for about two miles is the best part of my ride in. I typically plan a day trip or two due north to the state park to see all the leaves changing this time of year. Of course, being in Memphis, nothing has changed yet. Cooled down a lot overnight so the mornings are nice. But still 90 during the day.
We're not much ahead of ya....only a few leaves are starting to turn color. The summers drought has surely impacted what our fall foliage will be...likely it will be lame this year. But the nights are becoming brisk...so the turning will happen soon.

I like these daytime temps better than the hot summer when your ******* drapes down next to your primary when you're stuck at stoplights.

....alright...enough of these "good mood posts" from me...back to my crotchety self!

Old 09-24-2015, 09:53 AM
waramaug
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The smell of wood smoke in the cool air means it's fall. Gotta watch out for slippery leaves,acorns and smashed pumpkins,though.

Old 09-24-2015, 10:00 AM
Redlegvzv
Stellar HDF Member
Received 672 Likes on 372 Posts

Fall here in Southern California is not quite as spectacular as it is in colder states, but it is still subtly beautiful. The air is crisp and we do get some beautiful leaves from the liquidamber trees that are all over Orange County. Pacific Coast Highway and the Trabuco Canyon passes are gorgeous riding in the Fall. Have to ditch my lightweight vest for my leather jacket, but I'm looking forward to that.

Old 09-24-2015, 10:20 AM
flhchaz
Club Member
Received 1,284 Likes on 499 Posts

Fall is my favorite time to ride, even my bikes seem to know it!

Old 09-24-2015, 10:36 AM
rhythm1978
Tourer
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Actually just found out the kids are going out of town for fall break with their grandparents in a few weeks. The same week my fiance is taking a trip with her sister. Whoa. Like 8 whole days to myself! Plenty of riding time. YeeHaw!

Old 09-24-2015, 10:45 AM
silent1
Road Warrior
Received 52 Likes on 33 Posts

I love these crisp mornings like today. Blue skies, cool temps, and great fall scenery. But our riding season will be coming to an end soon.

Old 09-24-2015, 10:49 AM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

It was 67° this morning. And fall has always been my favorite time of the year, even when I wasn't riding.

Old 09-24-2015, 11:12 AM
farmboy555
Road Warrior
Received 105 Likes on 96 Posts

Great time of year to ride, for sure.

Quick Reply: As fall riding approaches....