General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

and riding season comes to an unexpected, screeching halt....

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2015, 11:58 AM
slapshot12
Road Warrior
Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts
Default and riding season comes to an unexpected, screeching halt....

Just as temps were finally starting to drop every so slightly, my winter riding season ended last Wednesday. I'd been having lower back pain for a few months and was leaving the ortho doctor to head to work. I got in my truck, and blam, my back and left leg starts hurting really, really bad. Come to find out, the back pain was a bulging disc (L4), and the disc finally ruptured and put me down for the count. I had back surgery last Friday, which ended my winter motorcycle and atv riding for around 6 months. The doc sent me home on no duty/work at all for 2 weeks, then hopefully back to work on light duty for the remainder of the healing time. Other than numbness in my foot still, my back feels much better already.

Todays lesson is, if you have lower back pain, especially with any numbness in your feet, get it looked at!!! Don't wait until it blows and requires a surgery with a lengthy heal time.

Last edited by slapshot12; 09-24-2015 at 12:33 PM.
Old 09-24-2015, 12:06 PM
YeOldeStonecat
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,118 Likes on 1,496 Posts

Heal quick!
Been there..done that! My disks from L2 all the way to S1 are tanked.
Several years ago pretty much became bedridden....my L4/L5 was beyond help. Did the discectomy on the right side of it..instant relief! I remember waking up from the operating, having to pee...getting up from the bed and hobbling to the bathroom...I was walking pain free for the first time in months. Immediate relief!

Need discectomy on the left side of L4/L5 soon...and then holding off on the others until artificial disks improve...they're getting close....

Anyways...heal quick!
And consider getting an inversion table. Best thing ever! ~200 bucks...pays for itself quickly by saving trips/copays to the chiro.

Old 09-24-2015, 12:35 PM
slapshot12
Road Warrior
Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

Same here, I was walking 2 hrs after surgery, still half stoned on anesthesia. But, the pain I had before surgery was gone. I walk better today than I did a week ago. Once healed, I am seriously considering an inverse table. Several friends have recommended them. The hardest part is just accepting that I'm on the bench for many months to heal. As tempting as it is to cheat, I'm going with the game plan to fully heal so I reduce the chance of having more problems. It's torture to go to the garage and see the bike and atv's sitting there.

Old 09-24-2015, 12:46 PM
YeOldeStonecat
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,118 Likes on 1,496 Posts

Yeah I couldn't fight it....if I recall my operation was end of September or early October a few years ago...and doc told me 2 months of NOTHING strenuous including riding. I barely made it 4 weeks before caving in and going for a few short runs.

Old 09-24-2015, 12:59 PM
longrideshields-1
Premium Sponsor
Received 74 Likes on 47 Posts

That's a tough one alright. I hope you have a very speedy recovery.

General Inquiries:
Info@LongRideShields.com
Sales and Marketing:
Sales@LongRideShields.com
Phone:

Old 09-24-2015, 01:04 PM
knitski
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hubby needs a hip. He knows it and the pain just keeps getting worse. He wants to put it off until a year from now when he retires. I can't imagine him being able to wait that long but what do I know. Everybody he talks with says they don't know why they waited so long and they feel great. Still he waits.

Old 09-24-2015, 01:17 PM
Bluesrider.df
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,661 Likes on 934 Posts

Wow, sorry to hear about the back problems! At least you didn't have an accident, which is what I thought when I saw "screeching." I hope you are ready to roll next spring!

Old 09-24-2015, 03:42 PM
Rumblin
Supporter
Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

I had 2 discectomies, L4\L5. Blew out the 1st repair 7 weeks after the first surgery. After the second surgery, I did nothing, lifted nothing and about a year later it blew out again doing nothing. Couldn't sit and got real goofy on hydrocodone. I didn't have a bike at the time. Had it fused then in Jan, 2014. The most strenuous thing I do is ride. Stretching and staying in moderate shape is my savior now. Still have sciatic tingles in the left foot, but I agree that surgery is nothing compared to the pain relief it gives you.

Old 09-24-2015, 05:03 PM
electricstart
Road Warrior
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Been there a few times Back and hip and etc. ,Get well .

Old 09-24-2015, 05:13 PM
uklauren
Florida Crew Moderator
Received 3,389 Likes on 1,560 Posts

Get well fast and do what the doctor tells you.

Quick Reply: and riding season comes to an unexpected, screeching halt....