General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Funny how you can buy a bike you used to think otherwise on

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2015, 09:27 PM
JPS_Lotus98T
Cruiser
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Funny how you can buy a bike you used to think otherwise on

I took the plunge and decided to upgrade the 1200 Custom to a leftover 2015 Dyna Wide Glide tonight that was new. Got a great deal, and picking up the new bike Saturday.

I wasn't into the blackout look till I saw this bike with just enough chrome on the engine, and the Black Denim Flame paint job in the sun....it looked wicked. I even made a topic about how I didn't like the blackout look fairly recently on here and that I would never own a blackout bike.

Oops.

I was initially considering a '16 Street Bob, but the more I looked at it, it just wasn't doing anything for me personally. Nice bikes, but the look of the Wide Glide just does it for me. The test ride was amazing...loved the feel of the bike compared to the Sportster. I'm 6'3 with a 32" in-seam. The bike fit like a glove for me personally.

Anyone else ever do a 180 on a bike?

I will certainly admit to eating a crow sandwich about the blackout bikes....outside of probably sticking with chrome pipes, I think I'll leave everything else as is.

Old 09-24-2015, 09:44 PM
Prot
Club Member

Received 14,172 Likes on 6,217 Posts

When I was younger I could not imagine riding a bike with floorboards or a touring bike. I always lusted after a softail custom in the late 80's and early nineties.

Well, when I finally bought a big twin, it ended up being a Heritage Softail Classic. It fits me so well that I can't imagine riding anything else.

Old 09-24-2015, 09:47 PM
sammer4u
Tourer
Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Yup! Owned my dream bike, finally got a 01 Heritage in 2003. Swore I would never get anything but a Heritage. Then in January went and looked at a 15 Ultra low. Then sat on it. I was done and worked a deal on the Ultra. Never thought I'd own a geezer glide, but after sitting on it... feeling comfortable on it... I was done. Made the 180 change! And glad I did!! Very happy with it and "never" looking back!

Old 09-24-2015, 09:48 PM
Pachuco
Cruiser
Received 70 Likes on 43 Posts

If the bike calls to you...you need to answer! I have felt similar to you.

Old 09-24-2015, 10:13 PM
JPS_Lotus98T
Cruiser

Based on what you guys are saying about the Heritage bikes and floorboards, I should probably not make any proclamations on those either.

Old 09-24-2015, 10:14 PM
JPS_Lotus98T
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Pachuco
If the bike calls to you...you need to answer! I have felt similar to you.
I agree. The right bike seems to speak to you.

Old 09-24-2015, 10:22 PM
bdtaylor1979
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 228 Likes on 186 Posts

I never thought I would like having a ultra classic because I never liked the look of a trunk on a bike. But since I have had my bike the last few months, I have gotten used to it and the trunk comes in really handy for storage space.

Old 09-24-2015, 10:28 PM
FNGonaRK
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,665 Likes on 2,675 Posts

I went for years talking myself out of buying a Street Glide and telling myself that the Road King was the perfect bike for me. Then one day I went and made the deal for one.

Old 09-24-2015, 11:05 PM
Crimson
Road Master
Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

Its amazing that not a single person ever in this forum has ever gotten a bad deal on their new bike.. Enjoy the new one!

Old 09-24-2015, 11:09 PM
Mike Lawless
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 485 Likes on 324 Posts

My first bike was a Kawasaki two stroke triple that I bought ew when I was 19 years old, with clubman bars and the other "café" treatments. I took a long hiatus from riding while growing a couple boys and spending my spare time drag racing (four wheel variety).
When I got back into riding following the passing of my wife of 37 years, I was still drawn to the café style bikes. So, that's what I did. A funny thing happened between 1975 and 2013. I got older and stiffer. I found I couldn't ride with low bars as it just killed my wrists and back after about 45 minutes of riding.
So, the progression went from the café bike, to a Sportster, a Triumph Bonneville and finally a softail Deluxe. The Deluxe is the one that speaks to me. That nostalgic style, that Cadillac ride, and now that I'm accustomed to it's handling manners, stable predictable handling too. The Bonneville is fun, and I've done some pretty long rides with it, but I've really developed a preference for the Deluxe's low center of gravity.
So, from high strung café bike, to laid back cruiser....in the space of two years

Quick Reply: Funny how you can buy a bike you used to think otherwise on