General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HD Lift

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2015, 12:30 PM
Rathgar
Tourer
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Default HD Lift

Found a lift on CL that's advertised as HD Branded, wondering how it stacks up against the Sears and other popular lifts?
It appears to be a screw jack rather than hydraulic. Anyone have such a thing?
How do you like it?
They're asking $200, looks like new, good price or not?

Old 09-25-2015, 12:52 PM
Roadblock_MN
Road Master
Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

Looking on HD page, it looks pretty much identical to my lift that I paid under 100 for brand new...Yep...Harbor Freight...and proud!

Old 09-25-2015, 01:33 PM
Daninjax
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got the Sears lift new on sale for right around $110. It worked great for me when I did cam work on my Dyna. It's hydraulic and nice and smooth. I believe it's rated for 1,500 lbs. Can't see spending more for one just for the name, especially used.

Old 09-25-2015, 02:06 PM
BillJ
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a J&S Jack, in my opinion when I am lifting my 28,000 dollar bike I only want the best lift money can buy.

I have complete trust in my J&S Jack to not fail.

Old 09-25-2015, 02:14 PM
Roadblock_MN
Road Master

Originally Posted by BillJ
I have a J&S Jack, in my opinion when I am lifting my 28,000 dollar bike I only want the best lift money can buy.

I have complete trust in my J&S Jack to not fail.
After doing many services and a complete build on my jack, I have complete confidence in mine as well.

Not sure why everyone thinks spending 200 plus on a jack makes it that much better....

I have never had a bike fall or even come close to falling off my sub 100 dollar jack...

Old 09-25-2015, 02:27 PM
Daninjax
Cruiser

I can understand not scrimping on a jack for a $28,000 bike. But both my bikes put together didn't even cost half of that ( I bought used), and the Sears jack kept that Dyna in the air without a hitch for 3-4 weeks or so. Worked great for me, but to each his own.

Old 09-25-2015, 02:49 PM
Rathgar
Tourer
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I figure the HD lift is just a rebranded lift made for them with a jacked up sticker price like some much of their other stuff but was hoping to at least hear if there was a significant difference. I see the Sears models regularly and I"m going to take a look at the Harbor Freight as well.
If the HD was made in USA and a little tighter I might spring for the extra but I bet it's ChiCom like most other stuff now days.

Old 09-25-2015, 02:52 PM
Roadblock_MN
Road Master

Originally Posted by Rathgar
I figure the HD lift is just a rebranded lift made for them with a jacked up sticker price like some much of their other stuff but was hoping to at least hear if there was a significant difference. I see the Sears models regularly and I"m going to take a look at the Harbor Freight as well.
If the HD was made in USA and a little tighter I might spring for the extra but I bet it's ChiCom like most other stuff now days.
I know when I compared Sears to HF...they were identical...
And the HD one on their website looks identical to what is in my garage other than the orange v. yellow...

Old 09-25-2015, 03:48 PM
Daninjax
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Roadblock_MN
I know when I compared Sears to HF...they were identical...
And the HD one on their website looks identical to what is in my garage other than the orange v. yellow...
I wouldn't doubt that one bit. One is yellow and one is red. Probably made on the same Chinese assembly line. I went with the red 'Craftsman' because Sears is right down the road from me.

Old 09-25-2015, 03:53 PM
Brewmany
Elite HDF Member
Received 657 Likes on 435 Posts

They're probably all made at "Jack Concern #4", Guangzhou, China.

Mondays they slap the Harbor Freight label on, Tuesdays the Yellow Craftsman label, Wednesdays the red Craftsman, Thursdays the Larin, Friday the HD branded. They close early on Friday, so they can squeeze out the few HD ones since they don't sell as well as the others so they don't need to make as many

Quick Reply: HD Lift