General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need long distance seat recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2015, 02:29 PM
Deaf_N_1_Eye
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need long distance seat recommendations

Hey all, I've got a ride planned for next year from my place in Phoenix, AZ to Denver, CO, about 1600 miles round trip. I have a 1998 Softail Custom and ride with a springer solo seat. The seat is fine for around town or short rides out of town, but if I had to ride 1600 miles on it I think I would have to have my *** amputated. I was hoping that you guys could give me some recommendations on a comfortable seat for a long distance ride. I am open to solo or 2-up seats and am mostly worried about comfort since this will likely only be my traveling seat, but would still like it to look somewhat cool on the bike.

Thanks for the help!

Old 09-29-2015, 02:34 PM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,786 Likes on 9,863 Posts

Mustang seats are about as comfortable as I've found for my Softail.

Old 09-29-2015, 02:45 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 571 Posts

What I have found in 59 years of riding over 60 different bikes is that what is comfortable to one rider can be painful to another.

So what works for me may not work for you. I can not make recommendations on seats.

Old 09-29-2015, 03:01 PM
Mike Lawless
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 485 Likes on 324 Posts

Originally Posted by lh4x4
What I have found in 59 years of riding over 60 different bikes is that what is comfortable to one rider can be painful to another.

So what works for me may not work for you. I can not make recommendations on seats.
So true. It takes experimentation.....or luck, to find "That Perfect Seat."

You might look at either a sheepskin cover, which is what I use for long distance rides, or an AirHawk pad. Both fairly inexpensive and you can take 'em off for local stuff

Old 09-29-2015, 04:12 PM
Deaf_N_1_Eye
Advanced

Originally Posted by lh4x4

I agree that what works for you (or just somebody in general), may not work for me. That's why I posted this question in here instead of just asking someone I know and taking their answer as fact. My logic was, if I have 10 people recommend the same seat or manufacturer, and 10 other people recommend 10 different things, then it is more likely that the 1 recommendation I got from 10 different people will be comfortable to a majority of people. If I don't ask for recommendations, then I will be just randomly spending $400 or so on a seat and crossing my fingers that it's comfortable. At least this way I increase my odds of picking the right one.

If anyone knows of a better way to find the right seat, I am all ears.

Old 09-29-2015, 04:18 PM
RHPAW
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 13,782 Likes on 6,212 Posts

If you're going to travel a considerable distance, I would definitely recommend using a seat.
Hope this helps.

Old 09-29-2015, 04:26 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Originally Posted by Deaf_N_1_Eye
I agree that what works for you (or just somebody in general), may not work for me. That's why I posted this question in here instead of just asking someone I know and taking their answer as fact. My logic was, if I have 10 people recommend the same seat or manufacturer, and 10 other people recommend 10 different things, then it is more likely that the 1 recommendation I got from 10 different people will be comfortable to a majority of people. If I don't ask for recommendations, then I will be just randomly spending $400 or so on a seat and crossing my fingers that it's comfortable. At least this way I increase my odds of picking the right one.

If anyone knows of a better way to find the right seat, I am all ears.
Keep the seat you have and put an Air Hawk on it for the trip.
http://www.motorcyclecushions.net/?g...H43BoCpTbw_wcB

A friend of mine loaned me his for an 1800 mile trip and it worked great.

Old 09-29-2015, 04:27 PM
Deaf_N_1_Eye
Advanced

Originally Posted by RHPAW
If you're going to travel a considerable distance, I would definitely recommend using a seat.
Hope this helps.

I hate you...

Old 09-29-2015, 04:35 PM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,786 Likes on 9,863 Posts

I have a Mustang Regal Duke, a Corbin Young guns, and a Mustang Vintage Tripper. The Tripper is by far the most comfortable for me.
Regal Duke and Corbin are for sale.

Old 09-29-2015, 04:39 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,570 Likes on 2,888 Posts

Corbin seat, heal rests, crash bar with highway pegs or a mustache bar, a throttle lock of some sort, a full face helmet, good ear plugs, a bottle of Norco, breathable synthetic underwear, comfortable boots, a back rest, and bars that fit.

Quick Reply: Need long distance seat recommendations