General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lets talk tire changing machines

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2015, 08:10 PM
cdestuck
Supporter

Received 211 Likes on 101 Posts
Default Lets talk tire changing machines

So want to check into buying tires online and changing them myself. I have a J and S jack and easy removal of my EZ UP centerstand and the jack will get the bike off the ground.

So, to get the tire off and off the rim. Touring bike is what I have. I did a search here and did find one mention of the NO MAR tire changer and they recommend their model that's runs a grand or so. Also read of the Harbor Freight one that is cheap....too cheap. I'd like something at least sturdy enough to do the job, even if I had to do a bit of strengthening with the welder and of course want something that wont scratch up the wheels.

So any thoughts out there. I really don't want to take wheel and tire to dealer or indy as I don't think that's right.

Old 09-30-2015, 09:31 PM
Time Machine
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've been changing car truck and motorcycle tires by hand for decades, and if you can change a bicycle tire, you can change something bigger.

I use a harbor freight tire machine, (about 50 dollars) but I use it only to break the bead.

I then use tire irons to work the tires on and off. I have been thinking about getting these rim protectors:
Amazon.com: Motion Pro 08-0546 RimShield II: Automotive Amazon.com: Motion Pro 08-0546 RimShield II: Automotive

Also, check youtube for videos with the technique. You really don't need a lot of gear.

Old 09-30-2015, 09:38 PM
heybaylor
Stellar HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 72 Posts

three tire irons, has changed a lot of tires for me ..
think they cost less than ten bucks forty years ago.
static balance on the bike still works.

Old 09-30-2015, 11:16 PM
Imold
another old guy

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,726 Posts

I got a used NoMar Cycle Hill (their "cheaper" brand) with about all the goodies and a balancer for less than the base price of a new one. I don't that model very useable in the base configuration either, doesn't have the overhead support arm (my used one does). You can see in this pic why you need it; that center pole won't even begin to stand up straight without it when you start pulling against it.

I notice they don't have the overhead support in their accessories section anymore. At least the higher priced ones come with it. Here's their whole selection:

http://www.nomartirechanger.com/Tire_Changers_s/37.htm

I've never regretted getting it, but I have 8 bikes that all needed new tires when I got them, and two of them are 3 wheelers. If your alternative is taking the bike to a dealer, it's paid for itself already, but I'd want it just so I know they're done right, the tubes aren't pinched, and the bearings and rims are well inspected (I've had to replace both, and doubt most shops would have even noticed the problems).

Tire changers make a nice support for other wheel work, too -

Old 10-01-2015, 12:49 AM
SixDD
Banned
Received 1,901 Likes on 1,109 Posts

I use a 2 x 4 attached to a wall stud in the shop as a bead breaker. To do this I'll place the wheel/tire on a couple 4 x 4's covered with an old towel to protect the rim's finish. if a wall stud is not exposed/available I'll bury a 4 by 4 in the yard then attach a 2 x 4 to that.

I attach the wheel/tire to a plastic 5 gallon bucket and the shop's wooden ramp with some all thread and then use a set of wheel removal tools and some plastic rim protectors.

I made a static tire balancer out of 4 x 4's, 2 x 4's, some aluminum sheet metal scrap, and some skateboard wheel bearings. Sometimes I don't even balance the wheels at all...gasp!

Old 10-01-2015, 02:07 AM
NO PCKL
Road Warrior
Received 490 Likes on 269 Posts

Changed mine early this year. Used the Harbor Freight Bead breaker and tire irons to remove/reinstall the tires. Not too difficult. Used Dyna Beads for balance. Getting the beads in through the valve stem is a true exercise in patience though.

Old 10-01-2015, 04:57 AM
Bluraven
Grand HDF Member
Received 751 Likes on 459 Posts

Every time I write the check to have someone else change my tire I think about doing it myself.
I've seen various videos showing different methods of doing it.

Other than breaking the bead and leaving behind some DNA from knuckle busting, it doesn't seem that difficult.
However I generally only need a rear tire every 2 years and a front tire ever 5 years so it's not something I would do often.

The local indie shop only charges $40 for off the rim change and $25 if you buy the tire from them.
I generally buy the tire from them because they are competitive and I need them to stay in business so they are around when I need serious work.

Is $40 or $25 worth doing it myself......probably not to me.

That being said, I'd buy the harbor freight bead breaker and some tire spoons.
Just take care not to mare the rim.

Then add Ride-On to balance the tire.
The last tire change I had done I told them not to balance the tire and added Ride-on to both tires.
I'm sold on the product and will use it for every tire change in the future.

Last edited by Bluraven; 10-01-2015 at 05:01 AM.
Old 10-01-2015, 05:22 AM
Mikey 1450
Road Master
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

I have the blue Cycle Hill with all the extras, I got a good deal on it. Now, Looking back, I wish I had bought a Coats Cycler .... .I plan on selling the Cycle Hill next spring.

Old 10-01-2015, 05:33 AM
splattttttt
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 430 Likes on 379 Posts

Changed a bike tire many many moons ago by hand with nothing more that three tire irons.
Was a real bitch! Took for ever, but was done right.
As often as I'll need to replace a tire now days. I just have Joe LaRosa at Rockingham Cycles because it's fun to watch and support the professionals.
Maybe when I retire, I'll go work for him LOL

Old 10-01-2015, 08:22 AM
Time Machine
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

One thing to remember, if it's hard to put a tire on, you're doing it wrong.

The tires, both the ones going on and coming off, need to be lubed up a little.

The whole trick is to get part of the bead of the tire down in the valley in the center of the rim. I've seen those yellow things made for that and they look good. Putting part of the bead down into the little valley is what gives you the extra slack to get another part of the bead over the rim, and the tire is not going off or on until you do this. This is true whether you are using a tire machine, or a couple of screwdrivers.

If you are doing it right, it takes very little effort.

Quick Reply: Lets talk tire changing machines