General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My 06 Ultra burns me up!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2015, 12:42 PM
bigsammy1
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My 06 Ultra burns me up!!

I know this has been probably been talked about at length but here goes.
I have an 06 Ultra Classic with the 103 motor and nothing else done to it. It gets so hot it's now blistering my legs. We were in Las Vegas last weekend...90+ degrees and the bike burned the hell out of me! I went as far as to put Love Jugs cooling fans on it but I got burned with them on!
I think I need it dyno tuned to start with...I just think it has to running lean!
So any recommendations for a good dyno tuner in Southern California would be appreciated.

Thanks for any help

Old 10-05-2015, 02:36 PM
Buckmaster299
Tourer

Maybe a dumb question, but have you gotten measurements from either jug. It might would help you determine if you have a lean issue on one jug or the other I would think. If I'm wrong, someone correct me plz.

Old 10-05-2015, 02:50 PM
lightweight bob
Road Master
Received 150 Likes on 101 Posts
Default Dyno tune

Originally Posted by bigsammy1
I have an 06 Ultra Classic with the 103 motor and nothing else done to it. It gets so hot it's now blistering my legs. We were in Las Vegas last weekend...90+ degrees and the bike burned the hell out of me! I went as far as to put Love Jugs cooling fans on it but I got burned with them on!
I think I need it dyno tuned to start with...I just think it has to running lean!
So any recommendations for a good dyno tuner in Southern California would be appreciated.

Thanks for any help
Best around IMO: Wright Bros. Customs Travis Wright is their dyno guy Closed Sunday & Monday
31789 Outer Hwy 10
Redlands, CA 92373
909-794-1593

Old 10-05-2015, 02:57 PM
Grand-Dragon
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Do you have a Power Commander or similar device? If not, get one.

Change the cams or anything? Get rid of those crappy stock cams.

It's lean and it won't get better without more fuel.

Old 10-05-2015, 03:09 PM
Gus McCrae
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Big, had the same problem with my 14 Ultra. Burnt the inside of my right leg. Replaced the stock pipes with Vance & HINES true duals. Remaped so the engine wasn't running so lean. Problem solved. I think my problem was the cats in the stock pipes, but the bike was running way to lean also. Good luck!

Old 10-05-2015, 03:13 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,462 Likes on 1,591 Posts

If you don't have them already "mid-frame" heat shields and an oil cooler may give you some relief but this is just putting Band-Aid on the real issue.

I have a '13 CVO 110 and I've never experienced that much heat.
My friend bought a '10 U/C new and he complained from day one about the heat on his right leg and foot.
He rode my bike in Sept. '12 and finally realized what I had been trying to tell him abut getting rid of the catalytic converter and giving the engine a little more fuel and air would help it run cooler.

He took the bike in for a new exhaust like mine (Rinehart XT True Duals) and a dyno tune only to discover that he his engine was fried.
Fortunately he had the ESP and the majority of the engine work was covered.

Good luck.

Old 10-05-2015, 03:25 PM
PFWiz
Stellar HDF Member

Received 378 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by bigsammy1

Thanks for any help
You do understand that energy can neither be created nor destroyed don't you? You can only change it's form or move it. All a parade fan (Love Jugs) do is move the heat from your engines cylinders to another location. That location most often being the inside of the riders right thigh. Don't ask me how I know this....

The purpose of any parade fan (or even water cooling in the Rushmores) is not to keep you cool, but to keep the engine cool.

Old 10-05-2015, 03:27 PM
bigsammy1
Intermediate

Thanks everyone!! I truly love this bike and I have way to much into it to get rid of it. I'm going to try some of the suggestions and I let you know!

Old 10-05-2015, 03:36 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

I've never had my bike burn me riding it or sitting at a stop. I did move it once with shorts on, before it cooled completely down and touched the pipe but that's it. I don't know how other people's bikes are getting that hot.

Old 10-05-2015, 03:47 PM
corliss@bakerdrivetrain.com
Banned
Received 1,856 Likes on 1,287 Posts

Quick Reply: My 06 Ultra burns me up!!