General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trans fluid leak

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2015, 08:05 PM
Baccerman
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trans fluid leak

Got my 95 FLH back from the dealer shop last week from having a transmission fluid leak fixed. The tech said it was definitely the shifter shaft. $250 some odd bucks later she was supposedly fixed.
Rode the bike about an hour today (first chance since getting her home due to monsoon). She is leaking more than before. Trans fluid on inner primary below rear pulley.
My opinion is that the trans output seal or the seal between the inner and outer shaft is leaking.
My thought is that all of that should have been checked and probably replaced as a matter of course while everything in the primary was apart. I waited practically all summer to get this done (shop busy) and it rips me to think I may have to sit out the fall mountain ride we do this time of year.
I'm taking it back tomorrow or Thursday and getting them to look at it. I feel that they owe me to fix it properly, and promptly. I don't mind paying for additional seals etc and some additional labor but I definitely don't think I should pay the whole tab for the teardown and reassembly and dont think I should have to get at the back of the line again. Just asking them to make it right.
I am a regular customer and bought a new bike (Dyna Low) from them in June. Am I being unreasonable?

Old 10-06-2015, 10:27 PM
Fishrrman
Road Warrior
Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Pulley could be working loose, hence the leak.

It was a common problem on FXR's in the late 80's/early 90's.

The retainer system on the pulley went through a couple of revisions, but I'll guess that with time, they'll wear anyway...

Old 10-07-2015, 12:33 AM
Next In Line
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 160 Likes on 126 Posts

You shouldn't have to pay for additional parts and labor because it could be argued that they damaged something else during the original repair.

Old 10-07-2015, 05:23 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,063 Likes on 2,501 Posts

I agree with the OP. They should have looked at the transmission output shaft seal while they had the complete primary off. In my opinion the dealer should eat ALL labor to get the bike back to the point where the primary is completely removed and then start charging labor and parts to get to the trans seal and R&R it. Re-assembly labor should stop at the point where the primary is re-installed as he's already paid for it.

Old 10-07-2015, 08:03 AM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,481 Likes on 1,540 Posts

they are dumb! they should have replaced every seal and gasket they could get at while the damn thing was apart the first time. hope they installed a new inner primary bearing and seal and all related gaskets too !

Old 10-07-2015, 09:02 AM
corliss@bakerdrivetrain.com
Banned
Received 1,856 Likes on 1,287 Posts

Originally Posted by hardheaded
they are dumb! they should have replaced every seal and gasket they could get at while the damn thing was apart the first time. hope they installed a new inner primary bearing and seal and all related gaskets too !
I agree, but what I will say is to properly replace the shifter shaft seal the shifter pawl should have been removed. Which requires removing the gear set. Most shops charge 6-8 hours to do this and most Harley dealers are charging about $100 an hour.

Old 10-07-2015, 12:27 PM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,481 Likes on 1,540 Posts

maybe they just beat the new seal in ? hack job at best. this is why i don't let anyone work on my bikes. if i'm pulling the gearset i'm replacing every bearing along with every seal and gasket. why wouldn't you ? common sense is what i call it.

Old 10-07-2015, 12:58 PM
Ragtop
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,011 Likes on 576 Posts

Did they provide some lube with the invoice?
They should of, because you got forked.
Hope they make it good for you, I would be pissed!

Old 10-07-2015, 02:41 PM
corliss@bakerdrivetrain.com
Banned
Received 1,856 Likes on 1,287 Posts

Originally Posted by hardheaded
maybe they just beat the new seal in ? hack job at best. this is why i don't let anyone work on my bikes. if i'm pulling the gearset i'm replacing every bearing along with every seal and gasket. why wouldn't you ? common sense is what i call it.
If you want to pound it in over the shaft at least lube the I.D. of the seal and the shaft so you don't fold the lip over or tear it. But yea, "while you're in there" replace all the seals and gaskets. Pulley spacer too.

Old 10-09-2015, 08:23 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,063 Likes on 2,501 Posts

I've had good luck cleaning and lubing the shift shaft and slipping it on. I know it's not the right way to do it and one day it'll bite me, then I'll have to remove the entire primary drive again.

Mark,

How much trans fluid can you lose out of a leaking shifter shaft seal provided you check it?

Quick Reply: Trans fluid leak