General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trade in?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2015, 09:49 AM
Anthony Gonzalez
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Trade in?

In February of 2015 I purchased my second Harley from the same dealer. The 1st was used but the second was new. My question is, although what I bought is nice, it's not for me and my wife. I wanted a Street Glide but kinda let them talk me into a Street Bob. How soon could I take it back to trade in for the Street Glide which is what I truly always wanted. I've never been late on any payments either.

Old 10-07-2015, 09:56 AM
Roadblock_MN
Road Master
Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

To be honest, it never hurts to go talk to them and tell them you are not happy with what they sold you....and see what they will do for you. The biggest thing is...be nice....do not place blame...just be straight forward and honest...Worst thing that happens is nothing...

Old 10-07-2015, 10:05 AM
jamesroadking
Road Warrior
Received 152 Likes on 94 Posts

Probably the sooner the better financially.

Old 10-07-2015, 10:30 AM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,953 Likes on 1,685 Posts

Originally Posted by Roadblock_MN
To be honest, it never hurts to go talk to them and tell them you are not happy with what they sold you....and see what they will do for you. The biggest thing is...be nice....do not place blame...just be straight forward and honest...Worst thing that happens is nothing...
This^. It wouldn't hurt to have a tear in your eye as you beg for mercy.

Originally Posted by jamesroadking
Probably the sooner the better financially.
And this^. No matter how much of a bath you take today, the bike will be worth $37 less tomorrow.

Might as well be riding the bike you want, instead of looking at the one you don't like, covered in dust in the garage. Life's too short.

Old 10-07-2015, 11:00 AM
VTwin-Goodies
Sponsor
Received 1,935 Likes on 1,919 Posts

A big welcome to you from sunny Southern California. Glad to have you on board.

Old 10-07-2015, 11:07 AM
Anthony Gonzalez
4th Gear

Thank you, I think I'll give it a shot.

Old 10-07-2015, 11:08 AM
Anthony Gonzalez
4th Gear

Originally Posted by VTwin-Goodies
A big welcome to you from sunny Southern California. Glad to have you on board.
Thank you!

Old 10-07-2015, 12:02 PM
vizcarmb
Stellar HDF Member
Received 525 Likes on 364 Posts

Don't take this guy's advice. Worse ever. Go ahead and tell them this and they will take advantage of you and bend you over without lube. First of all they duped you in getting a street Bob knowing you wanted a street glide. If they convinced you in getting a street bob imagine when you tell them you want a street glide now. That salesman eyes will light up with dollar signs on his eyes. Either go to a different dealer or a different salesman. Saleman don't care, he already made a nice profit by selling you a used bike and steering you into a street bob. Go in prepared or else you will regret buying the bike you wanted

Last edited by vizcarmb; 10-07-2015 at 12:05 PM.
Old 10-07-2015, 12:03 PM
mdm
Tourer
Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Anthony Gonzalez
...How soon could I take it back to trade in for the Street Glide...
Today?
A big question is going to be how much will it cost you and are you willing/able to pay that cost.

If you made a healthy down payment your current bike is probable worth more than you owe. If this is the case you probably won't have a problem trading the bike and getting a new loan.

If you did a low/no down payment purchase you may well be in the hole owing more than the bike is now worth. You could have a problem making up the difference in the value of the bike vs. the balance on the loan.

Old 10-07-2015, 12:07 PM
Roadblock_MN
Road Master
Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by vizcarmb
Don't take this guy's advice. Worse ever. Go ahead and tell them this and they will take advantage of you and bend you over without lube. First of all they duped you in getting a street Bob knowing you wanted a street glide. If they convinced you in getting a street bob imagine when you tell them you want a street glide now. That salesman eyes will light up with dollar signs on his eyes. Either go to a different dealer or a different salesman. Saleman don't care, he already made a nice profit by selling you a used bike and steering you into a street bob. Go in prepared or else you will regret buying the bike you wanted
Worst ever because I have been there? On both ends? YEPPERS...been there...done that...worked out well if you do it right. Some people dont have multiple dealers in the area...and I did not say go to the same sales guy....I would go directly to management but did not think it was necessary to spell it all out....

All in all...I highly doubt this is the worst ever advice....That is hilarious and quite the over exaggeration....wow...some people...

Quick Reply: Trade in?