General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So Cal Road Conditions in the Inland Empire

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2015, 12:20 PM
OPDSam30
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default So Cal Road Conditions in the Inland Empire

Hey all,

If you haven't been on the I-15 north headed to Vegas lately, you'll notice a lot of freeway construction that isn't really motorcycle friendly or cage friendly for that matter. But there is a way around it.

If your coming north on the I-15 from say, Fontana, Rancho Cucamonga, Ontario or anywhere south of there, exit at Glen Helen Parkway and make a right.

From there, continue north on Glen Helen Parkway. This will take you past the San Manuel Amphitheater, Glen Helen Parkway will turn into Devore Road. Continue north on Devore Road to Kenwood Avenue and make a left.

Be careful now because Kenwood Avenue is a narrow road with a couple of twisties, an up and down or two and a CHP Officer who likes to work the stop sign at Kenwood Avenue and Kimbark Avenue. Continue west on Kenwood Avenue underneath the I-15 until you come to Historic Route 66, now known as Cajon Boulevard, where you'll make a right.

Take Route 66 for about 4 miles, maybe 5 until it veers right and becomes Cleghorn Road. Go under the I-15 and make a left back onto the I-15 north and you're good to go.

If your coming from San Bernardino on the I-215 north, exit at Devore Road, make a right and follow the same directions. Be warned that if you take this route at night, it's a very dark route with very little lighting so take it slow.

Now this will get you around most of the construction zone but not all of it.

Keep in mind that construction will be going on in that area for the unforeseeable future and this alternate route is subject to change without notice. It happened to me when I took this route and found out the Cleghorn Road on-ramp to the I-15 north was closed. I had to go back to Kenwood Avenue and get on the I-15 north there.

If you're returning from Vegas or the High Desert, exit at Cleghorn Road, which is the next off-ramp south of Hwy-138 and follow the same directions in reverse.

It's always a good idea to check road conditions on the Caltrans website @ http://www.dot.ca.gov/cgi-bin/roads.cgi

Thanks,

Until my next post, ride safe and keep the rubber side down

OPDSam30

Last edited by OPDSam30; 10-12-2015 at 04:53 PM.
Old 10-12-2015, 12:57 PM
H-D 4 D.R.
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's some good advice there on dealing with the I-15 / Cajon Pass nightmare.
Due to my commute (Oak Hills to Santa Ana and back) I travel that road daily. Its so dangerous I haven't ridden my motorcycle to work in over a year.. rather take my chances in the commuter car. Wish they would wrap up the construction.
For anybody that travels this road often and you are on Facebook you may want to consider joining the "PainInThePass" group. Lots of real time info there.

Old 10-12-2015, 02:03 PM
Dezz
Cruiser

Great info brother, just came back from Vegas couple weeks ago it was terrible. So thankful my commute is east to west (though the 60 hasn't been looking too good as of late.)

Old 10-12-2015, 02:23 PM
chuckw2
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 384 Likes on 230 Posts

That particular bypass lane is no longer in place. There is another one further north before the summit but it is shorter and only affects the off ramp at the summit.

Old 10-12-2015, 04:53 PM
OPDSam30
Cruiser

Thanx for the heads up on the bypass Chuck. I made the correction to the post. The only time I go that way is when I'm going to Vegas or I'm making an Angeles Crest Hwy run.

Old 10-12-2015, 10:11 PM
chuckw2
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 384 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by OPDSam30
Thanx for the heads up on the bypass Chuck. I made the correction to the post. The only time I go that way is when I'm going to Vegas or I'm making an Angeles Crest Hwy run.
5 days a week for me down and back, 25 years now. Gettin kinda tired of it lol...

Old 10-13-2015, 01:10 AM
OPDSam30
Cruiser

Do what I'm gonna do Chuck, retire in 1 year 1 month and 12 days...LOL!!!

Old 10-13-2015, 08:55 AM
nickel.wound
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Rode this stretch in June of this year, during my Iron Butt from Redlands, CA to Salt Lake City and back to Vegas.

We went through the pass at about 2:30am, and it was hairy, even in the bypass lane. Won't do that again.

Old 10-13-2015, 09:02 AM
Ironcleveland
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I take this way around sometimes. Just be aware that this is not a secret to the locals and doesn't always save time. It is a safer route if you're on your bike, though. Also on some of the heavy traffic weekends tho police shut down Devore road except to local traffic to keep everyone from speeding through the small town. When they do this you have to stay on the 15, then get off at Kenwood.

Old 10-13-2015, 09:34 AM
OPDSam30
Cruiser

Thanks Iron,

I should have mentioned that this isn't a short cut, it's just a little piece of mind when it comes to safety.

One thing I should note is we should all practice a little courtesy when it comes to taking this route. By that I mean keeping the noise and the speeds to a minimum. I know my bike isn't the quietest on the street but I do what I can to keep the complaints down.

Quick Reply: So Cal Road Conditions in the Inland Empire