General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road essentials...

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2015, 12:43 PM
Taxman
Road Captain
Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Road essentials...

I'm sure this has been covered a hundred times. Any links to good threads would be appreciated. I'm about to take a pretty long trip from Texas to Arizona and then down into Mexico for the Rocky Point Rally. I was just looking for some advice from some of you road vets on what to take with me. What's important and what should I leave behind. I've got a Street Glide with a Tour Pak, so I've got some room, but not a lot. Any advice is appreciated.

Old 10-12-2015, 12:49 PM
Healey2Harley
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stop n go plug kit and disc brake lo k.

Old 10-12-2015, 12:53 PM
Sling Blade 14
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,789 Likes on 931 Posts

Basic tools that you can use within your maintenance capability, a "crash stash" for breakdowns- water, power bars, sunscreen, survival blanket, canned heat, fire starter.
If you plan to live on room service, go to mapquest and pick your gas and rest stops. (Same if you plan on camping it)
Buy as you go- so many times I've over packed and carried useless crap the entire trip.
Another cool carry along is SPOT- for family, friends, and EMS overwatch.
http://findmespot.com/en/

Old 10-12-2015, 01:18 PM
SlowRain
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I probably error on the side of caution...but as someone else pointed out...I see a lot of people who end up hauling a lot of stuff they didn't need.

FIRST!!!! Be sure you know how to start your bike without the security FOB in case it gets lost, stolen, or takes a dump. Now...I mean don't just read the freaking manual...I mean go out and start the bike without the FOB so you know you can actually do it. Never hurts to have an extra FOB battery in your helmet bag...they cost all of 2 dollars.

Basic tools...enough to tighten up bolts (hex, torx, etc) if one comes loose on you, as well as a screwdriver. I also carry a handful of zip ties, a small roll of duct tape, an extra value stem insert, plug kit in case you get a flat, which means you probably need a compressor you can run off the bike or something to add air in a pinch. I also carry an extra kick stand spring...one of those things you may never need...but if you do and don't have one you'll wish you did...ask me how I know. They're cheap. I also carry about 20' of general purpose hobby wire. Easy to fold and store and can ad lib a lot of repairs until you get somewhere to get a better fix. I always carry a "leatherman" knife...however I am not sure how that will go over with the Mexican authorities at the border...would check that before getting an unpleasant surprise.

On long distance I always carry at least 2 bottles of water...and make sure they stay full when you stop for gas. Couple of power bars or something like that in case you get stranded some place...just be sure you don't get the ones that melt...sitting in a hot saddlebag/tourpack is not a good thing.

Someone else said map out your gas stops....which is a very good idea. A small first aid kit never hurt anyone to have (and that is where the space blanket is). Small flashlight (I like the ones you can put on your head with an elastic band so you have two free hands if need be). Rain gear, unless you like getting rained on....be your own guide on that.

I tend to pack light on clothes...I can always hit a laundry place if need be especially since most motels have laundry machines for guests. Since you look like you are going to be in the dusty areas...a couple of bandanas wouldn't hurt so you can put across mouth and nose in the event you find yourself in a place where you would prefer not be be sucking down dust blown up from the wind. Extra pair of sunglasses wouldn't hurt...or worse comes to worse you can always buy a cheapo pair someplace.

If you going to Mexico...be sure the passport is in order...and for God's sake if you are in the habit of carrying a firearm...don't try and take it across the border...otherwise your stay in Mexico will be significantly longer than you are planning right now.

Not a bad idea to give your route and time table to a friend so if something goes south they have a corridor of where to look for you if need be. GPS, navigation, smart phone are all great...but I always find myself making sure I have a regular map of the route in case all the gizmos go belly up. Doesn't take much room and is just a safe back up.

Have fun!

Last edited by SlowRain; 10-12-2015 at 01:24 PM.
Old 10-12-2015, 01:30 PM
corliss@bakerdrivetrain.com
Banned
Received 1,856 Likes on 1,287 Posts

Condoms.

Old 10-12-2015, 01:44 PM
Jonesee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts

sunglasses
clear glasses
sunblock
ear plugs
Tools you know how to use on the side of a highway or in a motel parking lot
(if the tool you are most comfortable using is a cell phone, packing just got easier)
some 12" zip ties
a length of wire rolled up
pocket knife
tire plug kit
air compressor
rain suit
2-3 small led flashlights
few bottles of water
few granola bars
map or gps if you don't know where you are going
a pocketful of cash

And for long emergency stops:
flask of scotch
cigars

Old 10-12-2015, 02:08 PM
Taxman
Road Captain
Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark@ Baker Drivetrain
Condoms.
You, sir, win the internet today.

Old 10-12-2015, 02:57 PM
GOOSE912
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I go on long rides I pack the same stuff: Tool kit (with every tool to tighten every bolt and a couple screwdrivers), a blanket roll, I am with slowrain on the extra kickstand (I thought I was the only one who did that!), some non perishable food (like granola), toilet paper, 12v hook up to battery (just in case you need to charge phone or run air compressor, full tire repair kit, spark plugs, quart of oil, clears and sunglasses, couple rags or bandanas, cash (I carry as much as i think I will need if it hits the fan), rain suit, couple bungee cords, and my knife.

Old 10-12-2015, 03:05 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 814 Likes on 800 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark@ Baker Drivetrain
Condoms.
Mark,, Mark, Mark... Your thinking outside the BOX.. and it's plain to see your still inside the box.. what to do,, what to do...
===========================

on trips I take a few extra bungee cords,, some tape, a phone and my insurance card that has the # to call if I ever need a tow..

Old 10-12-2015, 03:18 PM
kishstl
Road Master
Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

Great suggestions. I also keep a couple of spark plugs, spare fuses and and used to keep an extra brake light bulb until I went LED.

Quick Reply: Road essentials...