General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cross that bridge...

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2015, 05:15 PM
jp49
Tourer
Received 84 Likes on 44 Posts
Default cross that bridge...

so i am wondering if anybody dislikes bridges as much as i do? i am not talking about concrete bridges or wooden bridges or foot bridges or dental bridges.... i am talking about those horrible steel grate bridges. we have one in my city and it is not very long at all but i cringe when ever i ride across it on my 1200c.... i feel like i am riding on ice. i have never dumped it or even gotten close. but as i approach i tense up to where my arms are difficult to move and i get a death grip on the bars up... and this bridge is only about 100ft at the most.... how do you people handle those long steel grate bridges?

Old 10-13-2015, 05:24 PM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,515 Likes on 6,271 Posts

Originally Posted by jweeds
so i am wondering if anybody dislikes bridges as much as i do? i am not talking about concrete bridges or wooden bridges or foot bridges or dental bridges.... i am talking about those horrible steel grate bridges. we have one in my city and it is not very long at all but i cringe when ever i ride across it on my 1200c.... i feel like i am riding on ice. i have never dumped it or even gotten close. but as i approach i tense up to where my arms are difficult to move and i get a death grip on the bars up... and this bridge is only about 100ft at the most.... how do you people handle those long steel grate bridges?
You are doing exactly the wrong thing. Don't tense up. Loosen your grip. And let your front wheel wiggle a little. It won't hurt anything. Whatever you do, don't look down.
My wife took this picture on the Mackinac Bridge.

Old 10-13-2015, 05:28 PM
Rick58
Road Warrior
Received 325 Likes on 208 Posts

We have like eight bridges here in Jacksonville. One of them the Mathews bridge used to have steel grating and people complained so much they finally resurfaced it.

I used to try not to get beside someone while going over it because you could look over at them and see the horror in their face.

Old 10-13-2015, 05:38 PM
oc1014
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've crossed the Mackinaw Bridge several times. 5 miles long I think. First time time riding the grate was unnerving. Respect the grate and cross wind, hang loose and enjoy the ride. Your tires and tire pattern can make all the difference in the world on grates and striped pavement. Guys that run that bridge regularly can probably give some good advice.

Old 10-13-2015, 05:41 PM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,784 Likes on 9,863 Posts

As the song goes: "Hold on loosely but don't let go." Just like riding on rotomilled pavement, let the bike do it's thing and you'll be okay.

Old 10-13-2015, 06:13 PM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 614 Likes on 383 Posts

I stay in the paved lane when I cross the Mackinac. And whoever said don't look down is correct. Staring at the water below can be unnerving.

Last edited by Geoff; 10-14-2015 at 09:43 AM.
Old 10-13-2015, 06:20 PM
SJ58
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lots of those steel grate bridges in my area. You get used to it after awhile. The Heritage moves around a little, but even riding over them one handed isn't a problem. Relax a bit.

Old 10-13-2015, 06:31 PM
kainvamp
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron750
You are doing exactly the wrong thing. Don't tense up. Loosen your grip. And let your front wheel wiggle a little. It won't hurt anything. Whatever you do, don't look down.
My wife took this picture on the Mackinac Bridge.

Cool picture!

I've only been over a few short grate bridges and was slightly nervous first couple times. I can't imagine a 5 mile long grate, but I'm comfortable now just hanging slightly loose and cruising along.

Old 10-13-2015, 06:35 PM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,063 Likes on 2,501 Posts

Ride the length of the Alaskan Highway once. You'll be an expert on steel grate bridges. As the others have said, open your hands a little and let the bike move, keep your speed steady and make any movement gradual.

This will also work on the wet wood planks of the Yukon River bridge on the Dalton Hwy south of the Arctic Circle.

Last edited by Campy Roadie; 10-13-2015 at 07:28 PM.
Old 10-13-2015, 07:05 PM
Kayakguy
Road Captain
Received 83 Likes on 42 Posts

I was on a dirt road in Guatemala when I discovered some delightful bridges made up of 4 inch pipes laid side by side, running parallel to the road. That my friends is a terrifying few seconds.

I have been on the at steel grate bridge in Jacksonville mentioned above. Used to freak me out. I knew then to just relax and let it wander but that can be easier said than done as a new rider.

Quick Reply: cross that bridge...