General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Keeping Warm: Heated Gloves vs. Heated Grips

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2015, 07:08 AM
Twospot
Road Captain
Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Keeping Warm: Heated Gloves vs. Heated Grips

The colder mornings are starting to fall in to place here in the Northeast. Prior to purchasing my FXDL this past June I owned a Honda Shadow Phantom. I bought hat in May 2014 and road it through the winter months as long as it was at least 35 degrees(except mid Feb and March when we got hit with a ton of snow). I added a windshield and I purchased Gerbing's T5 Hybrid gloves to help with the cold weather.

The gloves worked as advertised. With the controller they heated as little or as much as anyone could need. However at times they seem to create an opposite affect. Eventually my hands would start sweating and the cold air coming at me made that sweat cold which in turn pretty much left my hands cold anyway. I ended up selling them to a fine forum member here only because I was not a fan of the Gauntlet style. I am short and pudgy so my jacket sleeves are longer and bunch up which make the fit of the gauntlet a pain.

The plan was to purchase Gerbing's new glove that has knuckle protectors and is not a gauntlet style. They just were released and are around $200. To try and avoid it I purchased the National Cycles clear hand guards in hopes it would take enough wind off of my hands to get away with standard winter moto gloves. I am disappointed in the results. They don't look bad on the bike with my MS El Paso windshield and they do cut down on some wind, but not enough. This morning was about 45 degrees and after my 65 mile commute my hands were pretty darn cold.

I started thinking about putting that $200 toward some heated grips instead. I'd need to have them installed because I am not there mechanically yet so my guess is that will add at least another $100 to the cost of the grips. I figure it will be close to $400 when all is said and done.

I'm looking for opinions on your experience between the two. Do you like heated grips or heated gloves better?

Old 10-15-2015, 07:11 AM
J929626
Road Master
Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts
Old 10-15-2015, 07:32 AM
Twospot
Road Captain

Thank you. I apologize for the laziness.

Old 10-15-2015, 07:41 AM
big cahuna
Grand HDF Member
Received 227 Likes on 152 Posts

I ride all winter so there's a learning curve you need to go thru to find what works for you. I've had both heated grips and gloves. I liked the grips as they were easy to use and my hands were always warm, both sides. The gloves also work good no complaints. But Sometimes you just don't need the heat, so what I did was buy a set of plastic wind deflecters that mount under the nut for the mirrors. They deflect alot of air off your hands so at times you may not need the heat on, if you have good gloves. In the spring I take them off, takes 5 minutes. As we say in the Polar Bear club dress to be warm, this ain't no beauty contest.,,,

Old 10-15-2015, 07:42 AM
Next In Line
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 160 Likes on 126 Posts

Gauntlet gloves keep air from going up your sleeves and onto your chest.

Heat grips only warm the back of your hands. Unless you plan on having your fingers wrapped around the grips the whole time, it will not do a good job.

Have you looked into an Outlast materials?

Old 10-15-2015, 08:03 AM
dsigrist
Tourer
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Believe it or not also take a look at a heated jacket liner. I was amazed at how warm my feet and hands stayed when I kept my core warm. It works so well that I don't even get my heated gloves out until the air temp get down in the 20s.

Just something you might want to consider.

Old 10-15-2015, 08:06 AM
AnotherBlackSG
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 22 Posts

I ride all year round and IMO, heated gloves with a controller is the way to go. Without a controller/thermostat, you're stuck on HIGH heat and that can get uncomfortable, as you know. I have Gerbings T5 gloves with a dual controller (heated boot liners) and have ridden in 8 degree temps with no problem. DEFINITELY need a controller/thermostat.

Unlike the above poster, keeping my feet & hands warm is the key to keeping the rest of my body warm. NEVER needed or even thought about a heated jacket or pants, because they just aren't necessary.

Last edited by AnotherBlackSG; 10-15-2015 at 08:09 AM.
Old 10-15-2015, 08:14 AM
Twospot
Road Captain

Originally Posted by big cahuna
I ride all winter so there's a learning curve you need to go thru to find what works for you. I've had both heated grips and gloves. I liked the grips as they were easy to use and my hands were always warm, both sides. The gloves also work good no complaints. But Sometimes you just don't need the heat, so what I did was buy a set of plastic wind deflecters that mount under the nut for the mirrors. They deflect alot of air off your hands so at times you may not need the heat on, if you have good gloves. In the spring I take them off, takes 5 minutes. As we say in the Polar Bear club dress to be warm, this ain't no beauty contest.,,,
yes I have the National Cycles clear hand guards. I am disappointed in the performance. However I may need to adjust my controls a bit lower (just for a more natural reach to the levers) so maybe that will help with those.

Originally Posted by dsigrist
Believe it or not also take a look at a heated jacket liner. I was amazed at how warm my feet and hands stayed when I kept my core warm. It works so well that I don't even get my heated gloves out until the air temp get down in the 20s.

Just something you might want to consider.
Yes I want one of those as well. I need prioritize the expenses though LOL

Originally Posted by AnotherBlackSG
I ride all year round and IMO, heated gloves with a controller is the way to go. Without a controller/thermostat, you're stuck on HIGH heat and that can get uncomfortable, as you know. I have Gerbings T5 gloves with a dual controller (heated boot liners) and have ridden in 8 degree temps with no problem. DEFINITELY need a controller/thermostat.

Unlike the above poster, keeping my feet & hands warm is the key to keeping the rest of my body warm. NEVER needed or even thought about a heated jacket or pants, because they just aren't necessary.
I had the T5's with the dual controller. I also have the heated insoles, which I haven't used yet. As you stated the controller is key. I bet on your sled you have it dashboard mounted. More difficult to do that on a Dyna. So I clip it to my jacket pocket. I need to find a better way.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 10-15-2015 at 08:21 AM.
Old 10-15-2015, 09:55 AM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,146 Likes on 11,100 Posts

I had heated grips on a bmw, fabulous warmth . No need to unplug anything when dismounting.

Old 10-15-2015, 10:59 AM
Fat_Boy
Tourer
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

I would recommended the aftermarket heated grips where the heater element goes into the handlebars NOT the HD heated grips. They are about $170 at my local dealer plus 2 hours labor to install (~190).

Amazon.com: Symtec Heat Demon H-D Grip Warmers - Left Mount - Black 211056: Automotive Amazon.com: Symtec Heat Demon H-D Grip Warmers - Left Mount - Black 211056: Automotive

Quick Reply: Keeping Warm: Heated Gloves vs. Heated Grips