General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

After 41 years it finally happened .

Old 10-19-2015, 06:23 PM
scottwilliamson
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default After 41 years it finally happened .

I bought my first bike in the summer of 74. I've parked my bike wherever and never worried about anything happening to it. Well I ran a quick errand to Costco this afternoon and when I came out hopped on the bike started it up put in gear and stalled out. Someone had shifted up to 5th gear while I was in the store. Scared the crap out of me when it stalled until I figured it out. I guess I've been lucky all those years.

Old 10-19-2015, 07:06 PM
farmboy555
Road Warrior
Received 105 Likes on 96 Posts

Anything, anywhere can happen

Old 10-19-2015, 07:26 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,361 Likes on 2,616 Posts

Glad you are ok, the bike can be repaired or replaced.

Oh, wait....

Old 10-19-2015, 07:34 PM
Captain Itch
Sponsor
Received 601 Likes on 324 Posts

Originally Posted by scottwilliamson
I bought my first bike in the summer of 74. I've parked my bike wherever and never worried about anything happening to it. Well I ran a quick errand to Costco this afternoon and when I came out hopped on the bike started it up put in gear and stalled out. Someone had shifted up to 5th gear while I was in the store. Scared the crap out of me when it stalled until I figured it out. I guess I've been lucky all those years.
I hear you things are changing and not for the best. I just bought a new bike and and it came with a security system,this stuff was all new to me. I also went with a smart siren 2 and pager it sends warning signals and makes and audible siren on the bike and pager. It is loud and I think that it will give me peace of mind in situations like you had and when overnighting in Hotels ..

Old 10-19-2015, 08:09 PM
Crimson
Road Master
Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

Since you don't make sure its in neutral or first gear when you start it.. perhaps you left it in 5th gear when you shut it off?

Old 10-19-2015, 08:19 PM
scottwilliamson
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Crimson
Since you don't make sure its in neutral or first gear when you start it.. perhaps you left it in 5th gear when you shut it off?
I'm sure you are correct since I make it a habit of running around crowded parking lots at speeds where I need 5th gear.

Old 10-19-2015, 08:21 PM
Time Machine
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It would be cool to have some sort of electric fence system on your bike so that it shocks the bejeebers out of anyone who touches, or gets within sparking distance of about 1/2 inch. Not enough to do any permanent damage, but you would want their hair to be standing on end, and maybe some uncontrollable bodily discharges.

Old 10-19-2015, 09:04 PM
KCinKy
Road Captain
Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

It's bound to happen sometime, let's hope it's a one time thing for you OP. Tme Machine, I'd vote for that.

Old 10-19-2015, 09:08 PM
Ikelove
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 12,104 Likes on 3,785 Posts

Originally Posted by Time Machine
It would be cool to have some sort of electric fence system on your bike so that it shocks the bejeebers out of anyone who touches, or gets within sparking distance of about 1/2 inch. Not enough to do any permanent damage, but you would want their hair to be standing on end, and maybe some uncontrollable bodily discharges.
I would pay for that option. And I would pay even more if the electrical charge emitted caused an offending fool to shat themselves and **** in their pants.

Old 10-19-2015, 09:13 PM
gomiller2
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And I thought he was going to say after 41 years I finally got laid.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: After 41 years it finally happened .