General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which windshield?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2015, 07:06 AM
smithk
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Which windshield?

Going to buy a Street Glide Special and need some advise as to which windshield to get. I am 6'1" so think I will switch the seat to a Tallboy to get moved back a couple inches. When I test rode the bike with the standard seat and windshield, the wind hit me right in the eyes. After moving back with a different seat, will I be able to get by with a 7" or will I need to go to the 10".

Old 10-20-2015, 08:02 AM
Bluraven
Grand HDF Member
Received 751 Likes on 459 Posts

Why not just get the bike then try each demo shield until you have an idea as to which size to go with?

Old 10-20-2015, 08:10 AM
kryingame
Road Warrior
Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

I bought a few shields and wasn't happy until I discovered LRS. I wanted a shield to block all that wind buffering. In addition to the LRS ultra, I also bought their Hawg Wing wind deflectors. With both installed, the buffering is nearly gone.

Old 10-20-2015, 08:47 AM
longrideshields-1
Premium Sponsor
Received 74 Likes on 47 Posts

I'm happy to help you determine which size you need whether you get ours or someone else's. I strongly recommend getting the bike first so you can make an accurate assessment. The top of the shield needs to be level with between the tip of your nose and mouth. Mustache level. Measure from the center screw, up. It's difficult to determine with a SG as it has such a short shield and not much to use as a reference. One trick is to tape some cardboard to your shield to give you the height you need to use as a reference. As said before, our shield should be about mustache level. That's about 2 inches below your line of site. With the cardboard attached, hop on the bike and get in your normal riding position best you can. Look straight ahead, and mark the cardboard right in your line of site. Then, measure from the center screw, up to the mark and subtract 2 inches. That's the size you'll need.

General Inquiries:
Info@LongRideShields.com
Sales and Marketing:
Sales@LongRideShields.com
Phone:

Old 10-20-2015, 10:05 AM
electricstart
Road Warrior
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I went Long ride shields also ,called them first and was told how to measure . You can also got to there site and tells you how to measure . Very happy with my re-curve dark tint wind shield . I look over the top and still have very little if any buffeting .

Old 10-20-2015, 11:55 AM
Ride my Seesaw
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,546 Likes on 727 Posts

I heartily recommend Long Ride Shields also. I have bought a couple of shields from them for different types of riding I do, I found they are a great quality product with fantastic customer service. I made the mistake of typing in a wrong ship-to address and when the windshield was returned to them they sent it back to my correct address on their dime. Now THAT'S customer service! The error was mine and they ate the cost even though I told them to re-charge my credit card for the new shipping charges. They now have my business for life.