General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

? Keeping bike Outdoors over Winter Tn.

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2015, 04:16 AM
Tnbrit
Road Captain
Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
Default ? Keeping bike Outdoors over Winter Tn.

Hi,due to unforeseen events,i may have to keep my bike(FXDF)outdoors 'till April,can anyone recommend a good all weather cover & any ideas on preparation?, or protecting the finish under the cover.
Bike is in Tn.
Cheers,Graham

Old 10-21-2015, 04:44 AM
HKMark23
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,934 Likes on 1,111 Posts

High winds are your enemy and will destroy finishes or even small parts under a loose fitting tarp or cover in a very short time. You can't buy a wax or protectant that will offset this.

A hard shelter is best, followed by a rigid frame & soft cover or lastly a plain soft cover that fits perfectly (no flapping ).

Old 10-21-2015, 05:20 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,063 Likes on 2,501 Posts

The above is good advise. Let's be honest here; where are you gonna get better advise about wintering a bike than Canada??

Old 10-21-2015, 05:48 AM
Tnbrit
Road Captain

Originally Posted by HKMark23
High winds are your enemy and will destroy finishes or even small parts under a loose fitting tarp or cover in a very short time. You can't buy a wax or protectant that will offset this.

A hard shelter is best, followed by a rigid frame & soft cover or lastly a plain soft cover that fits perfectly (no flapping ).
Thanks,for the advice,this is just thinking out loud,but i have a Harley indoor cover(material inside Vinyl outside)what about tying this tight to the Bike,Then an outer weatherproof over that?
Cheers,Graham.

Old 10-21-2015, 06:39 AM
HKMark23
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Tnbrit
Thanks,for the advice,this is just thinking out loud,but i have a Harley indoor cover(material inside Vinyl outside)what about tying this tight to the Bike,Then an outer weatherproof over that?
Cheers,Graham.
That certainly wouldn't do any harm. Still, you've got to eliminate wind buffeting if at all possible. I've seen a bit of loose canvas remove the gel coat from a boat hull over the course of a single wind storm. This stuff:

http://www.uline.ca/BL_2414/Marine-I...Q&gclsrc=aw.ds

has become popular up here as a cheap solution for outside storage of boats. Other systems involving aluminum frames and custom tarps work too but don't last forever and are expensive.

In all honesty bro, inside is the safest place if you have any concerns about strong wind. The first winter I owned my Breakout, I was in the same situation as you and put the bike in a self storage unit, which I shared with another biker, for the winter. Its costly but safe and a great idea if you have other items needing storage or can find another biker willing to share space and cost..

I don't mean to play chicken little with this. Its not impossible to store outside under a cover, and as Nomadmax points out, Canadian winters are exceptionally severe . If you do your double cover thing, just find as sheltered a location as possible and maybe use a system of cargo straps or something to keep the outer cover from buffeting against the inner cover or bike. Its just important for you to be aware that wind is a primary issue to be dealt with and to not ignore it.

Old 10-21-2015, 06:42 AM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,895 Likes on 2,551 Posts

I agree with all suggestions above. Assuming you will have to go with outdoors, just a suggestion for the chrome. A buddy of ours had to do the same thing a long time ago in my Father's backyard. He bought a huge jar a Vaseline and put a thick coat of it on all of the chrome, ALL of it. Took an afternoon to get it off in the Spring but all of his chrome survived a NYC winter with zero issues. Good luck.

Old 10-21-2015, 07:03 AM
HKMark23
Seasoned HDF Member

Old or cheap towels and some duct tape, strategically applied, might also be a good idea. DO NOT stick duct tape directly to your painted surfaces for the winter though.

Old 10-21-2015, 07:56 AM
Captain Itch
Sponsor
Received 601 Likes on 324 Posts

I would look at renting a storage unit just for a couple of months. Plug in a trickle charger and forget about it..

Old 10-21-2015, 08:59 AM
Tnbrit
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Captain Itch
I would look at renting a storage unit just for a couple of months. Plug in a trickle charger and forget about it..
If it was just a couple of months,i probably would,but it's 6 or 7 months,plus i'm in England & the bikes in Tn.,so it's difficult to organise.
Selling it would be easier,but then i have to find a buyer.
Cheers,Graham.

Old 10-21-2015, 09:06 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,744 Likes on 18,543 Posts

The number one concern when storing outdoors is humidity. A "weatherproof" ( tarps and the like ) cover that doesn't breath will trap moisture/dampness/humidity. This "lands" on the scooter and is a "breeding ground" for corrosion.

Quick Reply: ? Keeping bike Outdoors over Winter Tn.