General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley Base vs. CVO Depreciation Breakdown

Old 10-26-2015, 09:32 PM
Clubber
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Harley Base vs. CVO Depreciation Breakdown

This is for stats / accounting nerds.

I was curious about the CVO resell value, so I ran the numbers in Excel. With a CVO, your depreciation percentage is lower than a base model, but your total depreciation dollar amount is higher. I did a comparison between similar models over 3 different years.

Models:

CVO Ultra Classic
Ultra Classic Limited
Ultra Classic

Data Source:

Go to NADA Motorcycles to find the MSRP, low retail and average retail values. This is typically what the dealer references on trade ins, and I suspect most seasoned buyers.

I used years 2012, 2014 and 2015 Ultra, Limited and CVO Electra-glides.

The "Avg 2 Retails" columns mean I took the average retail, added the low retail, then divided by two: right in the middle of average retail and low retail. I believe this is probably what you would get for trade in from a dealer.

Assumptions:

I assumed if you were to trade into a dealer, you would get between average and low retail because they have to make a profit.

Average retail is what you would get if you sold it to someone over craigslist or something.

Low retail is when you're desperate to sell for personal reasons.

The Numbers:

MSRP: MSRP
Average Retail : NADA average retail value
Low Retail: NADA low retail value
Diff Avg Retail: The dollar difference between MSRP and average retail.
Diff Avg 2 Retails: The dollar difference between MSRP and average retails (Average Retail and Low Retail).
Diff Low Retail: The dollar difference between MSRP and low retail.
Avg Pct Dep: The depreciation using average retail in percentages.
Avg 2 Retails Dep: The depreciation using the average between average retail and low retail in percentages.
Low Pct Dep: The depreciation using low retail in percentages.

Old 10-27-2015, 08:47 AM
electricstart
Road Warrior
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

What I was told by a sales manager that only buys CVOs now for personal use .If you buy a basic model and add all the extras a CVO has on it and go trade in you will not get much for the extras . If you buy the CVO model and trade in you will get more for the extras that came with the bike . Hope this makes sense. One thing I will say the price of the CVO is getting out of hand.

Old 10-27-2015, 09:14 AM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,701 Likes on 1,988 Posts

Originally Posted by electricstart
What I was told by a sales manager that only buys CVOs now for personal use .If you buy a basic model and add all the extras a CVO has on it and go trade in you will not get much for the extras . If you buy the CVO model and trade in you will get more for the extras that came with the bike . Hope this makes sense. One thing I will say the price of the CVO is getting out of hand.
This assumes, of course, that you like or even want the accessories that come standard on the CVO. IMO, they're way overdone. Next Harley I buy I'm doing nothing to it but comfort/fit items (bars, seat). I've been down that "accessorize" route. There's no cheese at the end of that maze.

Old 10-27-2015, 12:02 PM
Clubber
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by electricstart
I wasn't trying to justify it one way or the other, i just wanted to research some numbers. I understand both points of view. Obviously with the base model, you don't get the 110, but CVOs still need a stage 1 and apes and all that which I like.

Old 10-27-2015, 12:49 PM
E8USMCRET
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 20,250 Likes on 6,546 Posts

I'm partial to a stripped base model and modifying it to my liking. I know going in that a substantial depreciation is expected on any bike. I do like some of the CVO paint schemes but other than that I can't see the initial expense is worth it in the long run.

Old 10-27-2015, 01:02 PM
06Ultraman
Road Captain
Received 61 Likes on 44 Posts

The only thing that justifies the cvo price is that they hold value as well as other Harleys. The"extras" are considered part of the model. So you're not completely throwing away the ridiculous 40k for a cvo. I traded my 2010 cvo ultra to same dealer purchased from for a 14 limited in 2014 and got 28k in trade. I Paid 250 bucks out the door. Lol.
Btw. An Indian dealer offered me 19k for the 10 cvo. Back then. I laughed at him.

Old 10-27-2015, 01:20 PM
Scudda
Stellar HDF Member
Received 3,178 Likes on 936 Posts

I was in a dealer yesterday and they had a 2016 CVO Roadglide Ultra on the floor..The list price was $40,250.00! Hell that's more then I paid for my truck last year....How do they expect people to be able to buy these things??

Old 10-27-2015, 01:25 PM
warprints
Road Warrior
Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

There is someone out there with the cash. As long as they sell, they will keep making them.

Old 10-27-2015, 02:25 PM
1goindiesel
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

While I appreciate your exercise in new bike depreciation, it should be noted that the thing to learn from it is to be the second buyer. I am currently just waiting and watching for an opportunity on an almost new 15-16 road glide S that "really wants" a new home. Then there will be three

Old 10-27-2015, 02:50 PM
Brewmany
Elite HDF Member
Received 657 Likes on 435 Posts

There are plenty of cars out there that cost well over $100K, some are several times that.
Way beyond my means, but there are plenty of buyers out there.
Porsche, Rolls Royce, Ferrari, etc., are all still going.

If there was no demand for the CVO's, they'd probably stop making them. Per the guy that sold me my LImited, they usually quickly sell the few CVO's they get each year.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Harley Base vs. CVO Depreciation Breakdown