General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which Harley for a tall guy?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2007, 03:32 PM
RU55ELL
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which Harley for a tall guy?

Hi all, just registered on here. I figured the best people to ask are the people that ride. I am 6'4", 235 lbs. I am in the market for a new bike, first time rider. I will be taking the rider's edge course in a month or so. What would be a good bike for me? I was looking at the 883s since they are cheaper. They seem to be too small for me. What is ya'lls suggestions? TIA!

Old 05-06-2007, 03:41 PM
Sam
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Which Harley for a tall guy?

At 6'4' everything harley makes is going to feel too small, even the Road King will, but it sounds like you don't want to spend that much anyway. You need to make some adjustments to "make" a bike fit you. Whenever I sell a harley to someone in your situation (it happens a lot), I suggest a Softail Standard, with drag bars and a kit to push the controls even further forward. this will extend both your legs and arms and make you feel much more comfortable.......works every time

The sportsters and dyna's are out of the question, if you are already concerned about what will fit

Old 05-06-2007, 03:44 PM
RU55ELL
Stage IV

When I went to the dealer to ask about the course, I sat on a v-rod and it felt niiiiiiice. Of course, it was a bit out of my price range. [:@]

Old 05-06-2007, 03:52 PM
BigGeorge
Road Captain

I'm 6'2" 235lbs and rode a sportster for 16 yrs. I rode a softail for 12 yrs and a fatboy for 9yrs. Presently riding a 06 street glide. The sporty was probably the least comfortable only because I rode with a bare bones seat and drag bars.With proper seat, barsand forward controlls you can make almost any bike comfortable. It's really up to the individual what is comfortable and what is not. Go to Harley and sit on every model they have. After the riders edge course go back to Harley and take several models for a ride.Usually just changing bars, seat or rider controlls can makethe difference in how long you can stay in the saddle.....................BG

Old 05-06-2007, 03:55 PM
Ganooch
Road Warrior
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

ORIGINAL: Sam

The sportsters and dyna's are out of the question, if you are already concerned about what will fit
I disagree. I am a tall guy and my Wide Glide fits almost perfect. Extended forwards and it will be perfect.

The following users liked this post:
Hematite (03-22-2016)
Old 05-06-2007, 04:01 PM
bikeknight
Cruiser

Expensive, but- Wide Glide.

Old 05-06-2007, 04:05 PM
BlessedHellride
Road Master
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I'm 6'6" and 235. I'd agree with Sam, except for the drag bars...with the FW controls and those bars your lower backand hammy's might bother you (it did me on the 'train).BG's got the right idea, test ride or rent every model they've got. Sportster is too small. Forget thedealer's pricefor now and think about comfort, then look at tags later...price can be negotiated. I wanted the Dyna Wide Glide, but settled on the Heritage Softail Classic and threw apes and FW controls on it. When you take the course, they'll put you on a Buell Blast, probably, and you'll feel like a friggin' giant for sure.
Shame on me for even saying this but if price is an issue, maybe look into the lower priced jap models and make mods to it, then consider upgrading to HD in a year or so.
Wait a minute[:@]... F that!! I'm at work and must have lost my mind...buy a hog and work it out into a monthly pmt. We're all in the same boat! Most of us are, anyway.

Old 05-06-2007, 04:09 PM
Sam
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: L0W R1D3R

ORIGINAL: Sam

I disagree. I am a tall guy and my Wide Glide fits almost perfect. Extended forwards and it will be perfect.
True Low R1D3R........I was trying to keep him in a lower price bracket, since he was looking at sporty's

Old 05-06-2007, 04:36 PM
RU55ELL
Stage IV

I guess I could always look at a bigger used HD.

Old 05-06-2007, 05:14 PM
HD Jake
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I am 6' 2" 230 and I currently ride a Ultra, but I have had a Sporty and a Dyna in the past.
Forword Controls, Change out the bars and a nice seat and you can ride for days...

I drove my Sporty for 5 years and I still have my Dyna, my wife rides it so I took off the forward controls for her, but you can find comfort anywhere.

Sound advice here to take a look at all of them and then price second

Quick Reply: Which Harley for a tall guy?