General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BAKER DD7 Installed in my 2015 FLRT

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2015, 11:34 AM
Derfrellim
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry BAKER DD7 Installed in my 2015 FLRT

Baker DD7 Transmission install in my H-D 2015 FLRT:

After much difficulty supposedly resolving the ECM Flashing surprise expense, I finally got to ride my H-D. The DD7 is NOT quieter than stock (Still there is the distinctive H-D clunk at start up and when shifting) Reason for the ECM (That has to be shipped off$$$.$$) for flashing is so Cruise is available for other than just 7th gear (4th, 5th (no 6th) & 7th. (It takes about a mile for Cruise to recognize 7th!)

Update on my H-D 2015 Freewheeler/Baker DD7:

The lower ratio first gear is great, however with close to 800 miles on my H-D Freewheeler and the DD7; there has been no significant improvement on the "Quieter" "No clunks or jerky shifts". After the costly ICM flashing third, fourth and fifth gears do function with Cruise. Gear number ("6") shows up (On the Speedo cluster display) for the seventh gear to allow Cruise engagement or re-engagement ONLY after traveling as much as a mile further.

A Baker Representative was notified of my concerns and I was told that the DD7 circumstances were just my issues, and he offered a return authorization! (No way after the labor and time involved with the install and $$ ECM flashing!) The noisy clunking was just my interpretation of what was occurring on my first ride after the install of the DD7. I have the standard mufflers on the Freewheeler, but even loud exhausts wouldn't disguise the noisy clunking shifts.

Note: I've owned and have been riding and wrenching on a variety of Harley-Davidson models for many years and I just expected something better.

Old 11-12-2015, 12:00 PM
corliss@bakerdrivetrain.com
Banned
Received 1,856 Likes on 1,287 Posts

I am sorry to hear you are not happy with our product. I do not get noise complaints for our DD7, quite the contrary actually. Not sure which Baker representative you spoke with but the offer stills stands to reimburse you for the transmission. I understand that it is a labor intensive job and it takes time but we don't like having customers unhappy with our products. If you have an alternative to returning the transmission that would make you happy please let me know.

Old 11-12-2015, 01:09 PM
SPRINGER
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,269 Likes on 1,975 Posts

Originally Posted by Derfrellim
Baker DD7 Transmission install in my H-D 2015 FLRT:

After much difficulty supposedly resolving the ECM Flashing surprise expense, I finally got to ride my H-D. The DD7 is NOT quieter than stock (Still there is the distinctive H-D clunk at start up and when shifting) Reason for the ECM (That has to be shipped off$$$.$$) for flashing is so Cruise is available for other than just 7th gear (4th, 5th (no 6th) & 7th. (It takes about a mile for Cruise to recognize 7th!)

Update on my H-D 2015 Freewheeler/Baker DD7:

The lower ratio first gear is great, however with close to 800 miles on my H-D Freewheeler and the DD7; there has been no significant improvement on the "Quieter" "No clunks or jerky shifts". After the costly ICM flashing third, fourth and fifth gears do function with Cruise. Gear number ("6") shows up (On the Speedo cluster display) for the seventh gear to allow Cruise engagement or re-engagement ONLY after traveling as much as a mile further.

A Baker Representative was notified of my concerns and I was told that the DD7 circumstances were just my issues, and he offered a return authorization! (No way after the labor and time involved with the install and $$ ECM flashing!) The noisy clunking was just my interpretation of what was occurring on my first ride after the install of the DD7. I have the standard mufflers on the Freewheeler, but even loud exhausts wouldn't disguise the noisy clunking shifts.

Note: I've owned and have been riding and wrenching on a variety of Harley-Davidson models for many years and I just expected something better.

Based on what you wrote and what Mark said below, it sounds like at least twice they offered to make things right with you so if you choose not to accept their offer, well at least they gave you a chance.

Originally Posted by Mark@ Baker Drivetrain
I am sorry to hear you are not happy with our product. I do not get noise complaints for our DD7, quite the contrary actually. Not sure which Baker representative you spoke with but the offer stills stands to reimburse you for the transmission. I understand that it is a labor intensive job and it takes time but we don't like having customers unhappy with our products. If you have an alternative to returning the transmission that would make you happy please let me know.

Old 11-12-2015, 02:36 PM
Tampa Fatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,431 Likes on 4,751 Posts

Originally Posted by SPRINGER
Based on what you wrote and what Mark said below, it sounds like at least twice they offered to make things right with you so if you choose not to accept their offer, well at least they gave you a chance.
+1...from what I've read in here Baker does stand by their products and tries to make things right if there's a prob. I wont have a prob ordering when I need something.

Old 11-12-2015, 04:26 PM
vizcarmb
Stellar HDF Member
Received 525 Likes on 364 Posts

So you are saying that you had to take the ECM to get it reflashed to have the cruise working? I thought it would be a plug and play item. That is a bummer because the website states that it is compatible and no changes needed. I would assume since it is a mechanical part it wouldnt need modifications to the ECM

Old 11-12-2015, 04:33 PM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,547 Likes on 3,057 Posts

I don't get what the gear setting has to do with cruise (as long as you don't shift out of that gear with the cruise engaged.)

Old 11-12-2015, 04:38 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,785 Likes on 18,560 Posts

Did you join to complain or look for advice/help for your problem. Baker ( and specifically Mark ) has/have an excellent reputation and customer service. Mark is always here offering assistance and help ... to anyone, not just his customers.

The following users liked this post:
DanHappy (01-13-2017)
Old 11-12-2015, 04:39 PM
OKMICK
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 36,875 Likes on 17,362 Posts

Originally Posted by Derfrellim

Note: We've been reading and posting on the HDF for many years. Baker is a stand up company, we just expected something better from your first post.

Old 11-12-2015, 07:06 PM
LiiT
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 834 Likes on 582 Posts

Don't know about the DD7, but installing the DD6 on my bike is one of the best things I ever did for it. Gave my old girl some awesome new longer legs.

Yeah it clunks a little, but no worse than the stock tranny that was there. It's a F'n Harley.

In a world that puts out a lot of **** for bikes, Mark and the guys at Baker are top of the heap for me and I would gladly do business with them again and go out of my way to recommend them to anyone who is willing to listen.

Baker rules!

Old 11-13-2015, 06:56 AM
ROCKOUT Rocker Products
Sponsor
Received 1,628 Likes on 1,176 Posts

To the OP...

Invest a couple of bux in some Mobil 1 syn ATF in the primary & see how your clunking is. It may not be the trans at fault.

Also on amazon.com...
Imitated, never equaled... ROCKOUTS!

Quick Reply: BAKER DD7 Installed in my 2015 FLRT