General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

engine starving for fuel

Old 11-13-2015, 09:12 PM
LonewolfFrank
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry engine starving for fuel

I have a 2010 flhtcu (Ultra Classic) Came from factory with 96 cu in engine. has been upgraded to 107 cu in. One of the O2 sensors took a beating. could a bad sensor cause bike to starve for fuel. runs fine until I twist throttle and start to raise rpms and then it just kind of stalls there. Anyone got any ideas. could sure use the input.

Old 11-13-2015, 10:32 PM
Iron lHorse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,341 Likes on 1,151 Posts

Originally Posted by LonewolfFrank
I have a 2010 flhtcu (Ultra Classic) Came from factory with 96 cu in engine. has been upgraded to 107 cu in. One of the O2 sensors took a beating. could a bad sensor cause bike to starve for fuel. runs fine until I twist throttle and start to raise rpms and then it just kind of stalls there. Anyone got any ideas. could sure use the input.
Have you check your spark plug gaps
Maybe a loose flange on the intake manifold
Could be poor fuel psi from pump
Could be a hole in fuel hose inside the tank
Maybe a bad fuel injector
Catalytic converter is getting clogged

Last edited by Iron lHorse; 11-14-2015 at 10:02 AM.
Old 11-14-2015, 01:59 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 813 Likes on 799 Posts

http://www.walkerproducts.com/o2-sen...oubleshooting/

Symptoms of a Bad Oxygen Sensor

It is first important to understand that an OBDII code in itself is not indicative of a failed oxygen sensor. Sensors simply report information. An oxygen sensor that reports a lean fuel mixture, for example, will certainly set off a code. This sensor is doing its job and does not need to be replaced.
If a failing or dead sensor is the issue, there are several OBDII codes in particular that will be set off (more on this in the following section). In turn, the vehicle itself will often display physical symptoms due to a sensor that is not functioning properly.
A decrease in fuel efficiency can be a telltale sign that an O2 sensor is not performing as it should. This can happen because of a fuel mixture that is either too lean or too rich. Such a swing in A/F ratio is a sign that an upstream or control sensor is faulty. The downstream or diagnostic sensors only monitor the exhaust leaving the catalytic converter and will not cause such an issue.
Other symptoms of a bad oxygen sensor include a rough idle, a misfire, and/ or hesitation when trying to accelerate. Keep in mind, however, that these issues can also have other causes that have no relation to the health of a vehicle’s oxygen sensors. Therefore, none of them alone is cause enough to replace one. A combination of an OBII warning, engine performance issues, and a physical inspection of the sensor is often required to make a proper diagnosis.

We all like to save money and do our own work.. but

In all my years of owning motorized vehicles (52 yrs) One thing I've learned is when dealing with an Elc issue of unknown origin with many possibilities causing the issue that I usually always come out cheaper if I'd just take it somewhere and let someone who has equipment to pinpoint the problem quickly and fix it instead of me throwing a lot of $$$ at it by buying many new parts that may not have been needed trying to troubleshoot it myself.

Also have you checked your bike to see if it's throwing any Codes. I'd think if its the O2 it'd be showing it on the check....????

Old 11-15-2015, 05:40 PM
LonewolfFrank
6th Gear

Thank you for your reply. My bike idles fine and as long as I don't wind the tac up too much it runs fine. No codes. good fuel mileage. But when I twist the throttle hard in low gears it bogs down like the rev limiter is kicking in prematurely. I guess I will have to take it to the shop and have them dyno it and set its ecm.

Old 11-15-2015, 06:10 PM
Time Machine
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LonewolfFrank
Thank you for your reply. My bike idles fine and as long as I don't wind the tac up too much it runs fine. No codes. good fuel mileage. But when I twist the throttle hard in low gears it bogs down like the rev limiter is kicking in prematurely. I guess I will have to take it to the shop and have them dyno it and set its ecm.
You increased the displacement without reprogramming the computer?

Old 11-15-2015, 08:00 PM
LonewolfFrank
6th Gear

Yes, was upgraded to 107 S&S from 96.