General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Working at a Harley Dealership

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2015, 05:36 PM
Sailing_mexico
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Working at a Harley Dealership

Hey y'all,

I am thinking about taking a job on the sales staff at my local Harley shop. I know there are many variables such as how hard you work, how well you sell, location, etc., etc. But in general, is this the type of job where a man can make a living? Any input would be appreciated. Cheers!

Old 11-14-2015, 05:43 PM
BLKnCHRME09Deluxe
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I've had a couple friends that worked at dealerships. Both said pay was horrible. Both sold bikes. If i'm not mistaken they said they only made a couple hundreds bucks per bike. Good Luck!

It may differ from dealer to dealer.... who knows

Old 11-14-2015, 05:51 PM
CoffeedrinkerinNC
Cruiser

There are 3 dealerships in my area, they all seem to have a high turn over of the sales staff.

Old 11-14-2015, 06:08 PM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,171 Likes on 11,106 Posts

IMO, the best salespeople are those that have other incomes. This shuts down the annoying high pressure tactics. Sales becomes a hobby instead of a job.
Either way, I would not count on making a living.

Last edited by upflying; 11-14-2015 at 06:13 PM.
Old 11-14-2015, 06:35 PM
Sailing_mexico
Stage III

Thank you all. This is good information! The thought of being involved with the Harley Davidson brand on a day in and day out basis is very appealing because I am a big fan. But I do have another job prospect that would guarantee an income, benefits, and some pretty impressive 401k matching. Guess I better go with the sure thing and just buy myself a nice 2016 Ultra Limited! Cheers!

Old 11-14-2015, 06:51 PM
Ikelove
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 12,150 Likes on 3,797 Posts

Probably not a dream job. I could never deal with all the tire kickers and humps.

Old 11-14-2015, 07:01 PM
Time Machine
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Sailing_mexico
Thank you all. This is good information! The thought of being involved with the Harley Davidson brand on a day in and day out basis is very appealing because I am a big fan. But I do have another job prospect that would guarantee an income, benefits, and some pretty impressive 401k matching. Guess I better go with the sure thing and just buy myself a nice 2016 Ultra Limited! Cheers!
A lot depends on your situation, skills and outlook.

If you are young, and don't have a lot of people depending on you , you could take a dealer job and try to figure things out. Same goes if you are older, and it's a second career.

If you learn to sell high dollar motorcycles, that skill could transfer to selling other stuff, like houses, insurance, cars, boats, airplanes. Or maybe you could be the guy that owns a dealership. That may sound far fetched, but in 10 years somebody will own the dealerships so why shouldn't it be you?

Also, the sure thing may or not be your best bet. It all depends on you, and your talents, and aspiration. Of course in CA, you will need to fork over most of your money to the government, but that is a different story.

Old 11-14-2015, 07:08 PM
Bluesrider.df
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,663 Likes on 936 Posts

Taking something you love and doing it for your job is one way to lose your love of it.

Old 11-14-2015, 07:11 PM
Tommy C
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 19,654 Likes on 6,678 Posts

Originally Posted by guitarfish
Taking something you love and doing it for your job is one way to lose your love of it.
Very true!

Old 11-14-2015, 07:20 PM
Bone Doc
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,863 Likes on 4,113 Posts

The other fact is that while you are stuck inside selling motorcycles, your friends are in the wind riding.... without you.

Quick Reply: Working at a Harley Dealership