General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch cable

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2015, 07:59 PM
shoprat2
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch cable

I have an '03 FXSTB Night Train with an aftermarket front end, hand controls, etc. All that stuff was on it when I bought it.
The clutch cable end fitting that fits over the pin in the hand lever just broke.
Started looking for a new one online and have to search through long lists that they say only fit certain models.
The cable on my bike is black vinyl covering with black fittings and a black rubber boot to cover the threaded adjuster. The housing length is 68".
From looking through the lists that is 10" over stock length, which doesn't seem right to me, because, even with the mods on my bike, the hand levers are pretty close to the location they would be on a stock bike. But, whatever, the length I need is 68".
The closest I have found so far is the right length, black with black fittings, but is spiral, not the vinyl coated smooth kind, so, it won't match the other cables.
Is the end that goes into the transmission clutch release cover different on different models? Other than the length and some having an elbow, why are there so many different ones that are specific to different models? Could one of them fit my bike?
Any help is greatly appreciated.
I had to ride it about 5 miles in some traffic with no clutch to get it home
Thanks.

Old 11-23-2015, 02:28 PM
carlgrover
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,187 Likes on 1,264 Posts

Just call the boys at Barnett cable and tell them what bike you have. They should be able to fix you up with a high quality cable. You may need to give them a measurement of your existing cable length so have that handy.

http://www.barnettclutches.com/cables.html

Carl

Old 11-24-2015, 05:52 PM
shoprat2
3rd Gear

Thanks. I probably should have done that, but, I just ordered the one that seemed to be the closest to mine from J&P Cycles and had them ship it overnight. It's a Biker's Choice for a Dyna, so, I wasn't 100% sure it would work.
I got it Friday and checked it against mine, alright, it'll fit just right! Then I looked at the hole in the end fitting for the anchor pin. What the !?? The hole was out of round, oversize, bellmouthed, with a rough finish not quite half of the way down from each side leaving a ridge around the center about 1/16th thick. And the two holes didn't line up! This hole goes over the nylon anchor pin and takes all the force of the handlever pulling that cable.
It would probably work, but, would tear up the nylon pin, and it's just not right.
Maybe I'm nit-picking, but, I'm a tool & diemaker, and It made me cringe. Is it cast like that?
I wanted to send it back, but I wanted to ride, and would have to wait 3 or 4 days. So, I reamed the hole, had to go 1/16th over for it to clean up. And I made another nylon pin to fit.
Works good now. I'd like to see how well the cables from other manufacturers are made.
Thank you guys, I appreciate your help.

Old 11-24-2015, 06:51 PM
deadhawg
Stellar HDF Member

Received 1,723 Likes on 664 Posts

Too bad you got a crappy, probably made in China cable, but glad you were able to make it work and be able to ride. I understand the frustration of not being able to ride while you are waiting for parts, then the part comes in and it's not right.

If it was me, I'd be leery of the construction of the rest of the cable and go ahead and order one from Barnett to have on hand just in case.

Old 12-06-2015, 04:26 AM
shoprat2
3rd Gear

Hey deadhawg, you're right. The rest of the cable looked ok and it's been working, but,
I just can't count on it to last.

Thanks.