General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Winterizing Fogging Question

Old 11-19-2015, 05:57 PM
MNtadpole
Tourer
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Winterizing Fogging Question

So I changed all my fluids and put stabil in the gas tank. I also decided to add Fogging oil to the cylinders via spark plug port. Now according to the can of Fogging oil I was supposed to shoot it into the intake while it was running...I wasn't very comfortable with that, I worried it might foul the o2 sensors. That is why I decided to only hit the cylinders. Now my question is by doing what I did, did I only put a puddle of anticorrosion oil on top of the cylinders? Or is that cylinder shot of Fogging oil supposed to find the whole bore and protect it? I'm just curious if anyone knows! Thanks for your time.

Old 11-19-2015, 06:24 PM
Brewmany
Elite HDF Member
Received 657 Likes on 435 Posts

I think fogging oil spray is meant to be sprayed into the air intake. Like you, I wouldn't do that. My service manual says to squirt some oil into the spark plug holes, leave the plugs out and spin the engine over with the starter, replace the plugs and done. That's what I do, with an old towel to cover the heads, the compression will blow some oil out and it'd be messy.

Old 11-19-2015, 06:25 PM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member
Received 8,749 Likes on 3,962 Posts

Now maybe I've done it wrong all these years but I shoot about a 3 second shot of fogging oil in to each spark plug hole then pop the starter for just an instant and then hit the cylinders again with fogging oil for a second or two; coats the cylinder bores and pistons... I hope

PSA: hold the silly plastic tube on the can while you spray in to the cylinders, I've seen that tube pop off and end up in a cylinder... much sadness occurred...

Old 11-19-2015, 06:35 PM
MNtadpole
Tourer
Default Interesting

@ TinCup
So what is accomplished by priming the ignition? Valve movement? It's funny that you mentioned about the spray straw! I was testing the can into a rag when mine shot off. Even after the fact, I did decide to hold the straw while spraying, but I didn't picture the hazard of it falling inside. I hope that didn't happen to you!

Old 11-19-2015, 06:38 PM
MNtadpole
Tourer

Originally Posted by Brewmany
I think fogging oil spray is meant to be sprayed into the air intake. Like you, I wouldn't do that. My service manual says to squirt some oil into the spark plug holes, leave the plugs out and spin the engine over with the starter, replace the plugs and done. That's what I do, with an old towel to cover the heads, the compression will blow some oil out and it'd be messy.
Sounds good enough to me. No worries on unspent fuel in the cylinders?

Last edited by MNtadpole; 11-19-2015 at 06:42 PM.
Old 11-19-2015, 06:46 PM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member
Received 8,749 Likes on 3,962 Posts

The idea is after shooting in the fogging oil in to the cylinders hitting the ignition would coat the cylinder walls with oil protecting them, perhaps adding another shot is me being OCD but what the heck No, it wasn't me that lost the tube but a friend I was helping prep his bike for winter, he apparently thought I was kidding those little tubes could pop off the can...

Old 11-19-2015, 06:56 PM
MNtadpole
Tourer

Originally Posted by TinCupChalice
The idea is after shooting in the fogging oil in to the cylinders hitting the ignition would coat the cylinder walls with oil protecting them, perhaps adding another shot is me being OCD but what the heck No, it wasn't me that lost the tube but a friend I was helping prep his bike for winter, he apparently thought I was kidding those little tubes could pop off the can...
Yup you were not kidding one bit!

Old 11-19-2015, 06:59 PM
Brewmany
Elite HDF Member
Received 657 Likes on 435 Posts

Originally Posted by MNtadpole
Sounds good enough to me. No worries on unspent fuel in the cylinders?
I don't worry about it, comes straight out of my HD service manual. I figure they should know what they're recommending.

When I fog my 4 stroke EFI V6 marine engine, I hookup a 2 stroke mix of gas and oil and connect it to the gas intake and run the motor on that for c severeal minutes. They don't want fogging oil sprayed into the air intake either, and pulling the plugs like on the Harley would be a major PITA.

Old 11-19-2015, 07:00 PM
tommyglide
Tourer
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

For years I've been doing like Tin Cup but only after fogging the intake while the motor is running. With the air cleaner off a little sprayin till the motor dies and nothing bad has ever happened. Maybe all it actually does is make me feel better?

Old 11-19-2015, 07:21 PM
streeteagle
Club Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

In the latest issue of AI mag there is an article on winterizing Harleys which includes using fogging oil. They recommend pulling the plugs, ground the wires & give each hole a couple of squirts, then crank it for a few seconds to distribute the oil on the cylinder walls. They DON'T recommend squirting it in the intake & do recommend using Eagle brand fogging oil which is quaranteed to not foul the sensors on startup in the spring.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Winterizing Fogging Question