General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley stops shipping MY16 bikes until

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2015, 10:32 AM
HazyHog
Road Captain
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Harley stops shipping MY16 bikes until

January 2016 to most cold-weather dealers. I thought this was an interesting article on the current state of sales.

http://blogs.barrons.com/stockstowat...rrons&ru=yahoo

Old 11-24-2015, 10:39 AM
wndchsr2
Road Captain
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I work in the auto manufacturing industry for various OEM's and the decrease in sales from Harley is nothing like the swings we see in the auto industry.

Especially given that Harley now has a little competition in their target market. That competition will be a good thing for everyone I think.

Seriously doubt that the slight decrease your seeing in sales is the beginning of the death spiral at Harley that the sky is falling crowd is spouting.

Old 11-24-2015, 10:41 AM
Twospot
Road Captain
Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

No surprise at all. They cut inventory last year as well and just never picked up the sales slack. It's just dropped more. And they think dumping more money into marketing is gonna help. HA!

Old 11-24-2015, 10:53 AM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,667 Likes on 1,660 Posts

Originally Posted by Twospot
And they think dumping more money into marketing is gonna help.
In business, there is an old saying: "When you are having a bad year, just sell your way through it".

Old 11-24-2015, 10:58 AM
Twospot
Road Captain
Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by 0maha
In business, there is an old saying: "When you are having a bad year, just sell your way through it".
True, but even the most non-motorcyclist knows who Harley is. There is no one better at marketing so to me it's pissing up a rope for them.

Old 11-24-2015, 11:01 AM
wndchsr2
Road Captain

And they think dumping more money into marketing is gonna help. HA!
But is the increase in marketing they are referring to meaning more advertisement to a wider based market? Such as what the auto industry does? You see vehicle commercials everywhere and with Harley not so much.

Old 11-24-2015, 11:10 AM
tjhog
Road Warrior
Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

This is nothing new ... Harley does this almost every year ... but they over compensate for it by over shipping to warm weather dealers. They choke them out in the winter then pick back up with the cold weather dealers in the spring. I used to work for a Calif. dealership and we would almost run out of storage space in the winter, then bleed the stock off later. And there is no choice in the matter. Either take in the excess or lower your quota.

Old 11-24-2015, 11:38 AM
Jonesee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts

True, but even the most non-motorcyclist knows who Harley is. There is no one better at marketing so to me it's pissing up a rope for them.
Originally Posted by wndchsr2
But is the increase in marketing they are referring to meaning more advertisement to a wider based market? Such as what the auto industry does? You see vehicle commercials everywhere and with Harley not so much.
Each of you are confusing advertising with marketing.
Advertising leads to public awareness of a company or product.
Marketing is much broader based and involves pushing or pulling demand for a product.

When a company the size of Harley discusses increases in marketing, it is likely they are talking about dealer and consumer incentives. As examples: wholesale incentives to persuade dealers to take more product and protect production, sales incentives and dealer stair-step payments to incentivize dealers pushing sales, retail and end-consumer incentives that could increase their support of low APR consumer loans, etc.

The tightwire Harley is walking is finding a way to incentivize and drive sales without detrimentally effecting the brand image and also protecting their famous/infamous new product mark-up.

Advertising is easy to do and hard to measure.
Marketing is much more complicated and needs to drive tangible and measurable results.

Last edited by Jonesee; 11-24-2015 at 10:06 PM.
Old 11-24-2015, 11:50 AM
Larry64
Road Warrior
Received 94 Likes on 76 Posts

My local dealer still has 55 2015's in inventory.

Old 11-24-2015, 12:01 PM
wndchsr2
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Jonesee
Each you are confusing advertising with marketing.
Advertising leads to public awareness of a company or product.
Marketing is much broader based and involves pushing or pulling demand for a product.
Thanks for the clarification.

Quick Reply: Harley stops shipping MY16 bikes until