General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

harley heated vest any good?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2015, 09:09 PM
magnum629c
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default harley heated vest any good?

I never see any info on heated vest i see one on sale at harley are they any good? How hot do they get? They last long ? Thanks for info and for the losers who say i should use the search function i all ready did with no good info

Old 11-24-2015, 09:54 PM
5150northrider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 206 Likes on 171 Posts

I have the battery heated jacket and it was worth the money. I got it on sale and one for the wife. They won't last for hours but are nice for short trips. You do need to wear them close to the body. If you are talking about the plug-in kind I'm sure you will like it.

Old 11-24-2015, 10:08 PM
Hocus-Pocus
Road Master
Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

I have heated gloves and socks from Gerbings. The ones I have run off of the power from the bike. I personally would not buy the ones that run off of a replaceable battery. Unless you use rechargeable batteries, you will have considerable expense buying batteries. IMO, much easier just running them off of the power of the bike. Also, if I'm not mistaken, Gerbings make the stuff that HD sells.

Old 11-25-2015, 02:12 AM
Jake52
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a Widder electric vest with a thermostat that plugs into the battery tender jack on the battery. I have had it for about 12yrs and it still works great.

Old 11-25-2015, 06:11 AM
CoffeedrinkerinNC
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Heated gear is great for riding in the colder weather. I have found the vest to be good until temps drop below freezing. Having a heated jacket liner or jacket, helps keep the arms warm.

Old 11-25-2015, 06:42 AM
magnum629c
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks guys. Does anyone know if the harley vest plugs into the bike? I know it comes with a battery

Old 11-25-2015, 07:56 AM
lmar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,073 Likes on 2,055 Posts

Originally Posted by magnum629c
I never see any info on heated vest i see one on sale at harley are they any good? How hot do they get? They last long ? Thanks for info and for the losers who say i should use the search function i all ready did with no good info
The vest works in cold weather, but I prefer a heated jacket liner. Had both, the jacket liner is a much better investment.

Old 11-25-2015, 10:19 AM
BUZZARD II
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I have a BMW vest I bought 16 years ago and it's still going strong. No reason to replace it. Late last winter I bought my wife a Gerbings jacket liner. Very compact and heats up very quickly.

A battery powered vest is for candyass bar to bar riders. If you really ride, go plug in.

Old 11-25-2015, 11:42 AM
UUNetBill
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 417 Likes on 247 Posts

I have the HD battery operated heated vest. I used to have a 100 mile RT commute and with traffic, it was usually 2 - 2 1/2 hours a day. The vest on high would usually last just about that exact time. But if traffic was heavy, it'd start cooling off by the time I got home. It was good for 4 hours+ on the lower heat settings (there are 4 levels of heat on it).

That said, I'd only recommend the vest if you're riding a faired bike. I wore it on my Dyna the other day and my arms got chilly. Fine on my SG, though.

I thought the vest and battery were great for commuting. If you're going to be doing longer rides in colder temps, I'd recommend wired jacket liner/pants/gloves to stay toasty. But for short trips down to about 30-35* the vest is great.

Old 11-25-2015, 11:44 AM
UUNetBill
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 417 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by BUZZARD II
A battery powered vest is for candyass bar to bar riders. If you really ride, go plug in.
Ha! Just saw this...funny how no one called me candyass when I showed up after a 50 mile commute on a 30* day...but if it had been a 75 mile commute, I'd have been screwed...

Quick Reply: harley heated vest any good?