General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why Do????

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2015, 06:59 PM
Hippie49
Elite HDF Member
Received 228 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Jonesee
Different stroke for different folks.

I do all my own work.

I also have 3 adult sons.
The oldest wouldn't and couldn't do even the most basic service on a motorcycle or car.
The middle one would not think twice of tearing into a engine if it needed it
And the youngest, who could handle basic service but likely wouldn't go deeper than that

All 3 sons raised side by side with the same mechanical experiences as I worked on bikes and cars as they grew up.

If my sons are a microcosm of the population, some, like the oldest, has no mechanical knowledge or skill and should absolutely take their bike in for service.

Others, to varying degrees, not so much.

Congratulations on the raising of your sons and they are the perfect example of people going their on way despite the fact that they were all brought up in the same conditions with the same guiding individual.

They are doing their own thing and I bet they are doing it well, but as individuals, they have a different aspect on life with their priorities being different.

It's not that one is more capable than the other, it's just that their outlook and goals and how they accomplish them are different..

Old 11-27-2015, 09:37 PM
Hey Man
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,004 Likes on 2,817 Posts

Fewer and fewer people work on their bikes these days. Whatever. We're all different.

"When I'm watchin' my T. V.
And a man comes on to tell me
How white my shirts can be
But he can't be a man 'cause he doesn't smoke
The same cigarettes as me......."
-Rolling Stones.

Old 11-27-2015, 10:09 PM
harleycharlie1992
Unofficial HDF Chaplain
Received 14,618 Likes on 4,623 Posts

Originally Posted by Rick58
On the other hand how many people think a service is just a fluids change and a clutch adjustment ?
this!!! Looking where the problems are, checking visually all the moving parts, listening to the bike in general, seeing problems before they arise on the road, even something simple like checking air pressures, lights checking fluid levels in the hydraulics, making sure wheel brgs are ok.
Ok, I know there are bad wrenches in the dealer system, but the good ones do this stuff, all at the price of the LOF. if you just want the oil dropped, go ahead, but that is not all that happens for your money. At least with me, its not!

Old 11-29-2015, 06:04 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,063 Likes on 2,501 Posts

Originally Posted by 5150northrider
Or maybe they like talking with others at the dealership. You know like minded people who also love bikes. Just a thought
Or, they might have a second bike they can ride while the other one is in for service. In that case, the "I'd rather be riding instead of wrenching" makes sense.

Old 11-29-2015, 06:11 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,063 Likes on 2,501 Posts

Originally Posted by harleycharlie1992
Ok, I know there are bad wrenches in the dealer system, but the good ones do this stuff, all at the price of the LOF. if you just want the oil dropped, go ahead, but that is not all that happens for your money. At least with me, its not!
Charlie,

Unfortunately you are the exception, not the rule. And as far as HD dealer techs go, it'd be easier to count the good ones.

I know guys that aren't that mechanically inclined that do the basic stuff on their bikes. The reasoning one of them gave was, "Yeah I know I'm not really good at it, but it's cheaper for me to half *** it than pay someone else to half *** it".

Old 11-30-2015, 06:15 AM
peg20
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Nomadmax
The only time I'd have a problem with someone taking their bike to a dealer for service or repairs is if they asked me to pay for it. If it isn't my money, I don't care. Maybe some of the folks who do take their bikes to the dealer for service is because they choose to spend their time riding instead of wrenching. I can say that I've never really seen a thread around here wondering why some ****** would want to roll around the garage floor servicing a motorcycle instead of riding it

Nobody touches my bikes but me; on the road or otherwise. This is me in Dawson Creek, BC.

You give me a flat place on the ground and I have the rest. If I don't have it, I'll find it. That doesn't make me more of a "biker" than the next guy or gal. For those that honestly think it does, good for you. Those folks who pay for dealer service keep the doors open in case I need to buy a gasket or hard part for my bike. You see a guy wearing a Harley T shirt as a "poser" and I see a guy who supported a company that produces the brand of bikes I like to ride. Without those service and motor clothes customers I'd have to pay more for the things I have to buy at the dealer, and there would be less dealers.

Most of the time when someone has a narrow definition of what a "rider" or "biker" is; what they mean is "if you're not like me, you're not the real thing".
Refreshingly honest and true. Thanks for your post!

Old 11-30-2015, 06:19 AM
peg20
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Brewmany
The thought is actually they could somehow have more riding time by not doing their own service. ”I'd rather be riding than wrenching on my bike ".

Unless these folk have another bike to ride while their first one is at the dealer, not sure how it would give them more time to ride.
Although there are plenty of downsides to living in a big city, that's one advantage I guess I have from living in London. I can drop my bike at the dealership or indy, and then take the tube (metro) to work, come back at the end of the day and collect it. No time of mine is wasted, and I haven't had to give up precious family time to service a bike which I could have spent riding instead.

I do tend to do mods (eg. change out shocks, chop fenders, electrical doodads, tune the engine and the like) myself when it is a single job that has a prescriptive routine to get it done right. Although I'd have no issue with changing oil, cleaning filters etc., the thing that I'd be more worried about is missing something that's gradually going wrong or wearing out because I'm just not used to seeing what it's supposed to look like. Doing a mechanical job is easy enough. Identifying one before it needs doing takes experience that I just don't have.

Old 11-30-2015, 06:52 AM
Mxdad
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 456 Likes on 356 Posts

I have changed mine in the past, my son has a shop now so I give him the work. To me it is important to be able to do it myself same as with other things. Many folks are not mechanically inclined or simply do not have the time, tools or space to do their own work.

I am pretty comfortable around a computer but when things really go hay wire I call in someone more experienced than myself. I could spend the time and learn to do all the things my computer guy does but why should I. It does not interest me and it is very easy to call him and pay for his work. I am sure many looks at wrenching the same way

Personally I never worry about things like does another person wrench, what do they wear or what do they ride.

Old 11-30-2015, 08:14 AM
DGDeuce
Club Member
Received 5,315 Likes on 2,199 Posts

If I had to pay for every oil change or other routine maintenance I couldn't afford to keep it.

I have an Indy that's HD certified for the bigger stuff. I could do a lot more but there's always some little thing I wasn't aware of and I like knowing it was done right.

Old 11-30-2015, 08:27 AM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,481 Likes on 1,540 Posts

out of all my friends and riding buddys i think only twotake their bike to someone when they require repairs. they do their own maintance though.

Quick Reply: Why Do????