General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Tire Technology and the miracle miles They Sell Us

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2015, 10:33 AM
Next In Line
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 160 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by giacomo56
I will " stick" with my Metzlers and change them as often as needed....safety over longevity.
At least thats what my mind thinks...
I changed out Metzeler ME888 after 2000 miles because when the roads were wet and cold, they handled like a hard plastic wheels on a laminate floor.

Old 11-28-2015, 10:29 PM
nytryder
Elite HDF Member
Received 296 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by goodbirds
I still go with stock Dunlop tires on my Ultra. I just changed the rear tire at 13,400 miles. I think longevity from what's available right now has a lot to do with riding.

The rear tire takes a lot of stress. Just think of it; it propels the bike forward, keeps it track in curves (tighter ones take more resistance, therefore a softer compound for traction), and assists in braking. Everyone know that most of the braking effort is given by the front dual disc brakes (70%), which also unloads the rear tire so it is prone to scuffing under braking. If the rider wants the best handling, the tire gets replaced as soon as the edges become less rounded, maybe about 8,000 miles, or the rider puts up with deteriorating handling characteristics until down to 2/32 tread depth.

So, taking all that into consideration, choices have to be made. (1) I want long life tires. So, I will keep my acceleration/deceleration moderate to avoid scuffing the tread off.(2) I will keep my lean angles under 15 degrees.(3) I want longer life so I will embrace worsening handling as the tire wears.

i get longer tire life if I make long distance trips. I get worse tire life riding short distances and a lot of in town riding. There you have it. Take it from a guy who has bought lots of rear tires in the past 50 years. By the way, 40 years ago, you were lucky to get 8,000 miles no matter how gentle your riding.

Old 11-29-2015, 02:05 AM
p51bombay
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Increased tread depth comes at the expense of decreased tire performance - tires are a balance of grip vs. longevity. On two wheels I'd rather have grip.

Old 11-29-2015, 05:29 AM
Iron lHorse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,378 Likes on 1,162 Posts

Originally Posted by p51bombay
Increased tread depth comes at the expense of decreased tire performance - tires are a balance of grip vs. longevity. On two wheels I'd rather have grip.
All the newer tires being sold today are trying to give us both grip and longevity . The side walls of the tire are made of a softer rubber compounds and then the center of the tires rubber compound is a harder rubber. So now that their using this harder rubber in the center they should be able to add a little more rubber to the tires .

Old 11-29-2015, 06:56 AM
Bone Doc
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,863 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Originally Posted by Iron lHorse
All the newer tires being sold today are trying to give us both grip and longevity . The side walls of the tire are made of a softer rubber compounds and then the center of the tires rubber compound is a harder rubber. So now that their using this harder rubber in the center they should be able to add a little more rubber to the tires .
You're imparting too much logic and science into the equation.

Tire manufacturers will develop a tire that functions better so people will want to buy THAT tire. But, tire manufacturers don't want tires to last longer. You won't replace them as often... $$$$.

Old 11-29-2015, 07:21 AM
Iron lHorse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,378 Likes on 1,162 Posts

Originally Posted by Bone Doc
You're imparting too much logic and science into the equation.

Tire manufacturers will develop a tire that functions better so people will want to buy THAT tire. But, tire manufacturers don't want tires to last longer. You won't replace them as often... $$$$.
Speaking of $$$$ the price of motorcycle tires are not cheep any more. Most rear tires are a buck 175 + and that's with out shipping or installation. For that price the manufacturers better be doing something to get longer life from a tire . The cost of just changing them made me go out and buy a tire changer from harbor Fraight recently.

Last edited by Iron lHorse; 11-29-2015 at 07:24 AM.
Old 11-29-2015, 12:09 PM
propflux01
Road Master

Received 262 Likes on 165 Posts

Also consider car tires are radial, bike tires are bias ply (with a few exceptions). Bias ply will never last as long or roll as free as a radial tire.

Old 11-29-2015, 12:26 PM
vizcarmb
Stellar HDF Member
Received 525 Likes on 364 Posts

For you riders that have bikes other than Harleys. Michelin makes a tire called the pilot road 4 or pr4. If they made a cruiser version on these, I would buy them on a heartbeat. I had a set of these on my hooligan KTM duke and lasted 10k . These tires stuck like glue on the rain and warmed up quickly. My original set lasted 5k. Never had a tire that sticker like glue in heavy rain