General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A Generic Question about Dealers & HD Production

Old 12-04-2015, 01:50 PM
wparente
Cruiser
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Default A Generic Question about Dealers & HD Production

Considering that volume is down overall with Harley sales is there a warehouse in Milwaukee or somewhere else that has 95% of the model and color combinations that a guy might want. I am asking because I am considering the purchase of a new Ultra Limited Black Quartz and want to know if the dealer doesn’t have one how hard it is to get one. Is it just a matter of if they can’t do a dealer swap locally, they just call up HD and say load one up out of the warehouse on the next truck out of Milwaukee or do they not have inventories? Also does anyone know when HD fiscal year end is, when they have to dump inventory to avoid being taxed on it. I’m trying to be prepared to deal with any BS the sales guys start putting out when negotiations start!

Old 12-04-2015, 02:12 PM
SilverEagle50
Road Captain
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

From what i know from my guy at my dealer, the dealers just kind of get what comes in. There is a particular # ordered of this and that, but HD just puts on the truck what ever they put on there. the Dealer is just kind of in limbo and never knows till the truck arrives.

that being said, They should be able to do a dealer trade as long as it is not something that is in great demand. But with dealer trades, you are stuck with dealer prep charges from the original dealer. where if you wait till your dealer gets what you want in, those charges "may" be able to be negotiated. Maybe...

Old 12-04-2015, 03:09 PM
reedyjm
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dealers generally place quarterly or bi-annual orders. They are able to select what month they want their bikes delivered. Once the order is placed, it is impossible to change the delivery month as that would affect the manufacturing schedule.

Let's just say that your dealer ordered 10 of the bike you want for the model year 2016. They may have scheduled 3 or 4 for the fall season, but then held the rest until February, March, April delivery. Perhaps 2 each month to complete their annual order.

If your dealer doesn't have one in stock, it is highly likely that they have one ordered for delivery in a later month.

That being said, they can usually trade with another dealer if you really want it soon.

Old 12-04-2015, 05:08 PM
wparente
Cruiser

The reason I ask is because I use to work in an automotive plant where we would overbuild even if we didn't have any orders at the time and then we would entice dealers to take on extra inventory at a good price. I was wondering if Harley did anything similar in the winter.

Old 12-04-2015, 06:07 PM
Steady Eddy
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

I worked at a local dealer for a while. We received "advanced shipping notice" prior to the bikes arrival. The warehouse for our area is in Columbus, Ohio, about 130 miles away.

Old 12-04-2015, 06:11 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,361 Likes on 2,616 Posts

Have your dealer find you one, it should be pretty easy for them, I've done it many times. There are a ton of dealers in Minnesota, should be a no-brainer.

Old 12-04-2015, 06:35 PM
wparente
Cruiser

I have a couple dealers in the area that have what I want. I'm just trying to get a feel on what the overall inventory / availability is out there and how hungry the dealers might be before I go in and start trying to make a deal.

Old 12-04-2015, 07:25 PM
not a sock
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 983 Likes on 551 Posts

You can have them change the color on a bike to get what you want.
I have done this several times.
They can contact the factory,take any Ultra LTD and change the color as long as the bike
isn't on the line yet.

Old 12-04-2015, 07:48 PM
Dsm Limited
Received 8,106 Likes on 2,927 Posts

Originally Posted by wparente
Considering that volume is down overall with Harley sales is there a warehouse in Milwaukee or somewhere else that has 95% of the model and color combinations that a guy might want. I am asking because I am considering the purchase of a new Ultra Limited Black Quartz and want to know if the dealer doesn’t have one how hard it is to get one. Is it just a matter of if they can’t do a dealer swap locally, they just call up HD and say load one up out of the warehouse on the next truck out of Milwaukee or do they not have inventories? Also does anyone know when HD fiscal year end is, when they have to dump inventory to avoid being taxed on it. I’m trying to be prepared to deal with any BS the sales guys start putting out when negotiations start!
Surely your dealer can get you the color you want. On a 2016, you can rest assure, that while you may be able to deal a little in the winter, there are no huge discounts given.

As far as blowouts before a fiscal year end where the Moco worries about paying tax on inventory, that's not happening. You either pay tax on your inventory at cost, or sell the inventory and pay tax on the money with profit. Either way, you always pay the piper.

Old 12-04-2015, 07:59 PM
mglax13
Road Master
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
Default A Generic Question about Dealers & HD Production

York, it comes from York, PA.

Just sayin...

Last edited by mglax13; 12-04-2015 at 08:02 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: A Generic Question about Dealers & HD Production