General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Peeling Chrome on a 2014 ... the usual stuff

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2015, 12:22 PM
bishopatdaclub
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Peeling Chrome on a 2014 ... the usual stuff

Just looking for some advice - so I have 25k on my 2014 Ultra Limited. I am heading to Arizona for the winter and decided to have HD go through my bike - 25k service, new tires, some recall items etc.

I mentioned the chrome was peeling in strips from my rear rim (it is the stock aluminum rim, the chrome was peeling like a sticker). The dealership looked knowingly, and stated that's a common complaint, and then showed me where my front was starting to bubble. I simply asked they replace them and was told the bike was now 7 weeks outside the factory warranty so it wasn't covered. (yea I do most of my own work, and didn't buy the extended warranty). The rims would cost me 565 each plus labor, bearings etc.

So I opened a case with the factory. Basically, if the radio blew fine, but this level of failure to a rim was clearly not something that happened overnight. I've been riding Harley for 30 years, and drop serious coin, so I figured no big deal. It was denied.

I ended up purchasing two new rims, sending them out to be black powder coated, and installing them. With the 25K service and rims work, plus rear tire and bearings, it came to 2400.00 dollars on a 2 year old Ultra.

I figure they will deny any case on the first round anyway. Having a rim fail to the point it can't be salvaged, even via powder coating however in just 25 months, baffles me. It doesn't happen on cars, so why now. The SM remarking it was a known issue only made it worse in my mind. Sadly, I am thinking after recalls on the clutch and abs, failures on the left side module, left side radiator cover (fell off), saddle bag locks, and delaminating heated grips, this may be my last HD.

So what would YOU do in this case? has anyone had success with HD on things like this? Like I said a) known issue b) corrosion not mechanical c) 7 weeks past warranty d) initial case denied

I'm just curious how to proceed, or if I should even bother - At the minimum I am going to appeal the original decision. Thoughts?

Mombo

Old 12-14-2015, 12:59 PM
Coastal CVO
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 471 Likes on 278 Posts

Apparently you have not used the search function.

MoCo aint going to do ***** for ya, and the folk around here won't have much sympathy for ya either.

I've posted along with others that the H-D product including the finishes are crap, all I got was crap.

Old 12-14-2015, 01:17 PM
bishopatdaclub
Novice

Apparently I HAVE .. but thanks for the assumption. Now, if someone actually has a constructive based on past experience, I'm all ears. I've got over a quarter million miles on bikes since 1984 (it's actually right around 340k, I had to raise kids in the middle there); I am looking for others who have been down this road. I am WELL aware of the finish issues, had them on an 08 and my 12. I fully figure I am screwed, but sometimes someone does something and they catch a break. Hence the posting.

Old 12-14-2015, 01:20 PM
big papa AZ
Stellar HDF Member
Received 328 Likes on 215 Posts

Everyone is at the manufacturers mercy. You can quit HD, and look at some of the Polaris models, but they are having issues too, and their factory support isn't any better than HD.
Would like to see pics of wheels so damaged they were not salvageable.

Old 12-14-2015, 01:24 PM
bishopatdaclub
Novice

^ I would also but in an ode of sorts to Coastal CVO, the only pics I bothered with were taken at the dealership to be attached to the open case at Harley's request. (i.e I get what he is saying, but what the hell, may as well try).

Basically, the rear rim looked like the chrome was a sticker. Razor sharp metallic tape. It was peeling because the aluminum rim under it was oxidizing (whether due to salt,I ride year round in New England, poor prep or perhaps both). They sent it to be blasted and powder coated but the aluminum was so pitted, it wasn't worth the hassle. Hence using the term 'not salvageable'. Yes, I could have painted them (nobody sees the rear anyway), but the corrosion under the chrome on the front would have continued to get worse, painted, plasti dipped, powder coated or whatever I chose to do. Sucks

Old 12-14-2015, 01:39 PM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 620 Likes on 386 Posts

At least you made it to 25k miles. The last new Ultra I bought had porosity in the engine cases and leaked oil like a sieve. With only 2k miles, the motor had to be removed from the frame and rebuilt with new cases. All work was covered by warranty, but I was left jaded. This happened 13 years ago and I haven't bought another new Harley since. I buy used.

Old 12-14-2015, 02:02 PM
Coastal CVO
Outstanding HDF Member

If you come here with 3 posts and you ask a question about a topic that's been covered and then you get all buffed up and proud of your mileage, dollars spent and your wrenching skills, your not starting off on the right foot.

But since your new to riding, ("I've got over a quarter million miles on bikes since 1984") here's an actual experience for you, I had both mechanical and finish issues so I sued MoCo and I won. It took two years.

Get a lawyer and hunker down cuz they are going to deny your claim as you stated, they will spend 10X the dollars not paying you than if they just fixed the issue, and if you ever do win in a court, they will attempt to gag you so you don't ruin their reputation. Here's where we find out what your made of, can you go the distance with MoCo?

Good luck to ya!

Old 12-14-2015, 02:23 PM
bishopatdaclub
Novice

^ responses like this make me smile - so it's best to just ignore good luck Sir

Old 12-14-2015, 02:27 PM
Coastal CVO
Outstanding HDF Member

And to you as well.

Old 12-14-2015, 02:42 PM
threedeuce5
Cruiser
Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Just wondering, since you said you ride in the salt of NE, do you wash your wheels regularly during the winter? Harley stopped sealing their wheels some time ago and it wouldn't surprise me that road salt would mess up an un-sealed aluminum wheel like that. Can't expect Harley to be responsible for user error and/or poor care. Would be nice if they sealed their wheels though.

Quick Reply: Peeling Chrome on a 2014 ... the usual stuff