General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Post Hip Surgery Return

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2015, 04:03 AM
KenRice
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Post Hip Surgery Return

I just had hip replacement surgery. Is anyone able to share their personal experience and timeline for return? Thank you very much.

Old 12-22-2015, 05:50 AM
stereoguy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 547 Likes on 185 Posts

I was back to work in 4 1/2 weeks each time, I have had both replaced.

Old 12-22-2015, 06:27 AM
katiedog
Cruiser
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I had a double hip replacement in 2008.My surgery was the full incision on both sides.I waited close to 5 months to ride again.Fortunately there was a lot snow and ice on the roads anyway.

Old 12-22-2015, 06:34 AM
JHP
Tourer
Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

I had a Zimmer (Ceramic) total hip replacement in 2003. I was out of the hospital with a walker in about three days, then walking and driving to therapy in a week. I was back to work after two weeks and walking without assistance in about 4-6 weeks. Make sure NOT to get a "METAL" device; that's what all the lawsuits are about. Friction of the metal on metal hip replacement releases metal shavings and dust into nearby tissues and blood, this can lead to many painful side effects including cobalt poisoning, severe inflammatory reactions, loss of mobility, pain in the groin, breakdown of muscles, tendons and other soft tissue, and bone loss.
The only concession I've had to make as far as riding is concerned is Replacing the stock seat, passenger back rest and sissy bar on the Elactra Glide with a LePera Villain 2 Up Seat. Having the left hip replaced gave me a problem with swinging my right leg up high enough to clear the old seat, (by having to put all my weight on the left leg). If you have the option; go for "hydro-therapy" (in a pool), that helped me get back real quick. GOOD LUCK

Old 12-22-2015, 08:36 AM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,481 Likes on 1,540 Posts

left hip replaced on 4-10-12 and i rode my bike four weeks later. really i shouldn't have ,it was to soon and a little scary. i started walking a little farther each day and have done very well with it. i don't even think about any longer. one of the best things i've done.

Old 12-22-2015, 08:46 AM
WRE4U
Road Master

Received 215 Likes on 125 Posts

Like others have said...4-6 weeks, however fully recover about 5 months. Here was my response last October to a member with a new knee....

I had both knees replaced over the course of the last 10 months....first one, rehab took about 4 weeks before I was able to ride. The last knee was replaced in May....back on the bike in June. It will most likely take about 4 months before your knee feels 100%. I also have had both hips replaced as well, in the last 10 years. I hope to be done with getting new parts....really no problems whatsoever, however I did change my ride from a Heritage to a Tri Glide, but looking to get back on 2 wheels soon!

Good luck and get well soon!

Old 12-22-2015, 09:11 AM
inkdemon
Road Captain
Received 55 Likes on 38 Posts

Had both hips done and revised. You looking for being back to work, or on a bike? Work as others have said should be 4-6 weeks per the doctor. Also with what you do for work. Each person is different depending on healing, pain tolerance, and no set-backs. ( I've dealt with blood clots in the leg a few times) ...... As for the bike, this will also depend on if ya had the small incision, or like others(included) ya have scars that look like a shark bit ya going down the sides of your leg. With the latter, things inside take time healing. After the first 45 days I would start going out into the garage and see if I could lift the leg to go over it.and even then when you can accomplish it, can you put your foot on the peg or floorboard,and operate the bike? That was always my motivator. And of course stick to the physical therapy,and weight bearing limitations. Good luck on a fast and full recovery!

Old 12-22-2015, 11:39 AM
KenRice
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you very much for all of your responses. It definitely alleviated the concerns I have for being able to return to work and riding.

Old 12-22-2015, 07:01 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,830 Likes on 17,453 Posts

I'm following this one, looking at a right side replacement sometime. My issues are the job, on my feet 90% of the day and last count 16,000 steps is average , it's a 1/3 mile hike to my shop from the parking lot. This part worries me a bit why I'm foot dragging on getting it done.

Old 12-25-2015, 08:23 PM
ptagrad2001
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Make sure to tell your physical therapist about what YOUR goals are. We always work towards returning people back to function. This is much harder to do if the patient does not express what they want to be able to do at the end of therapy.