General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2010 FLHP, Won't Start, Turns Over?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2015, 10:14 AM
David O'Neal
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2010 FLHP, Won't Start, Turns Over?

Okay, so back around the end of October I bought a new battery for my 2010 FLHP, retired Police Bike. I installed the battery, rode it around the neighborhood for about 15 minutes and put it back in the garage. This past Friday I thought I might ride it to work, pulled it out of the garage and it will turn over but won't start. I've never had this happen with this bike. It has been setting up for about six months and it's had gas in it for that long.

I thought it might be the gas so I poured a bottle of Start into the tank and let it set for 15 minutes. I've had very good luck with Start in the past with my generator. I also put my battery charger on the battery and put it in the start mode, supposed to be another 50 amps.

Tried starting it again and it swill won't start. I pulled the air cleaner off thinking maybe something was blocking that? Still no luck. I've read on another site where someone had a similar problem with there same year Ultraglide and it was the battery in the key fob. But I don't have the security system on this bike and have never had key fobs for it.

I've not looked at the plugs yet, I can't imagine they just went so bad it won't start. I also need to verify all of the fuses are good, but again, what fuse would blow that would keep it from starting? I could see if it wasn't turning over at all?

Any ideas or suggestions would be great, thank you in advance.

Old 12-22-2015, 10:38 AM
DanRC
Road Master
Received 187 Likes on 73 Posts

Do you hear the fuel pump pressurizing? Are you getting a spark?

Old 12-22-2015, 10:45 AM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 968 Likes on 731 Posts

By "no start" do you mean it cranks over but won't fire, or it won't crank over at all?
A fuse that would not let it start could be for the fuel pump. The starter relay and fuel pump relay should also be checked.
Putting a new battery and riding for 15 minutes may not have gotten it up to a full charge. Then having it sit for a couple of months didn't help matters. Make sure it's fully charged, even if you have to take it out and get it load tested.

Old 12-22-2015, 10:53 AM
Hippie49
Elite HDF Member
Received 228 Likes on 146 Posts

I don't think you have a full charge on it yet.

Charge it completely then put some miles on it.

Welcome to the forums and good luck.

Old 12-22-2015, 03:21 PM
David O'Neal
3rd Gear

DanRC - I hear it pressurizing when I move the selector to ignition. I'm not 100% sure the best way to verify spark. Too bad my Uncle is not here, I've watched him grab onto Spark Plug boots while turning a car engine over and say, "Yep that one's getting fire", I've never been able to do that. I know I could remove the plug, ground the threads and watch for fire, but I'm going to need some help for that.

nevil - It turns over sounds like it wants to start, just won't.

Hippie49 - I should have put in the OP, when I bought the battery I let it charge for two days on a real battery charger, not a 1 amp Battery Tender. I used to sell batteries for telecom applications and I can usually spell it correctly two out of three times. It turns over pretty strong it's not dragging or anything. Thinking the battery might not be putting out enough umph I connected the battery charger, no small feat having to remove the seat and computer mount, set the charge to jump start and it's still not starting. The charger I have is a smart charger and I've left it on the battery since this all started last Friday because I didn't want to run the battery down after repeated attempts to start it.

So I don't think it's a battery issue, BUT I've seen strange things and after I verify it's getting fire, maybe replace the fuel, and verify all the fuses are good I might have to bring it back and get a replacement battery just to eliminate it. It's only two months old so I can get a full replacement.

Thanks for all the suggestions, I'll keep trying. I'm sure it's something simple.

Last edited by David O'Neal; 12-22-2015 at 03:23 PM. Reason: I can't spell.
Old 12-22-2015, 07:17 PM
Silent Glider
Advanced
Received 32 Likes on 12 Posts

.... set your run / off switch to RUN.
.... pull your clutch in.

Old 12-22-2015, 07:21 PM
Silent Glider
Advanced

... your 50 amp battery charger probably blew main fuse !!
( 50amps?? wtf !!)

Old 12-22-2015, 07:29 PM
David O'Neal
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Silent Glider
.... set your run / off switch to RUN.
.... pull your clutch in.
If the Run/Off Switch is in OFF it won't turn over, it's turning over. And I never start a manual without the clutch disengaged. Not sure what t would do if I tried without the clutch disengaged and the bike in netural I'm guessing it won't turn over.

Old 12-22-2015, 07:32 PM
David O'Neal
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Silent Glider
... your 50 amp battery charger probably blew main fuse !!
( 50amps?? wtf !!)
The 50 amp mode on the charger is for when you are trying to jump start something. And it's smart enough if you don't try to start it within 10 to 15 seconds it drops down to almost nothing. I put the charger in the auto AGM mode when charging the battery, it will supply what is needed to charge the battery then drop down to a trickle and back up to 2 or 5 amps if the battery drops below a specific voltage for a specific time. I don't want to say it's idiot proof, they are always making smarter idiots.

Old 12-22-2015, 07:33 PM
Silent Glider
Advanced

..... ok , I had heard that cop bikes had a safty switch in the clutch handle , and
needed to be pulled in to start ... dont know if it's a fact.

Quick Reply: 2010 FLHP, Won't Start, Turns Over?