General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Daymaker knockoff headlights

Old 12-24-2015, 05:55 PM
armydgp
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink Daymaker knockoff headlights

Had anyone installed one of the ebay daymaker headlights. Looks pretty similar?

http://m.ebay.com/itm/7-Motorcycle-B...247?nav=SEARCH

Could you use the stock headlight ring if you drilled and tapped it?

Old 12-24-2015, 06:34 PM
gr82bagn
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by armydgp

I didn't install those specific lights, I installed an Eagle Light black daymaker headlight I purchased from Amazon. This was a true plug and play and the light is super bright compared to the stock light. At $150 with free shipping it beats the heck out of a 499 daymaker. IMHO

Amazon.com: Eagle Lights Black 7" Round Harley LED Projection Daymaker Headlight for Harley Davidson Motorcycles: Automotive Amazon.com: Eagle Lights Black 7" Round Harley LED Projection Daymaker Headlight for Harley Davidson Motorcycles: Automotive

Old 12-24-2015, 07:28 PM
Kevinsmidt
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am not trying to champion the quality of HD parts and I will be the first to admit that the Daymaker is probably hugely overpriced. That being said, I would be very careful with buying any cheaper headlight off of eBay for a motorcycle. Having a knockoff headlight go out in a car is a nuisance, but having your sole source of light crap out while your flying down a road in pitch black conditions could be deadly. If you don't go the Daymaker route, I would strongly suggest buying a one from a reputable company.

Old 12-24-2015, 10:21 PM
E8USMCRET
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 20,250 Likes on 6,546 Posts

I had a stock bulb go out on my Softails Rivera Primo headlight at bike week in Myrtle Beach last summer. It sucked to be stuck in the campground until morning when I could get to the nearest auto parts store. It would suck even more to have it go out while riding at night. Beware of the allure of something cheaper because you just might regret that decision when you need the light the most.

Old 12-25-2015, 09:54 AM
gr82bagn
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevinsmidt
I am not trying to champion the quality of HD parts and I will be the first to admit that the Daymaker is probably hugely overpriced. That being said, I would be very careful with buying any cheaper headlight off of eBay for a motorcycle. Having a knockoff headlight go out in a car is a nuisance, but having your sole source of light crap out while your flying down a road in pitch black conditions could be deadly. If you don't go the Daymaker route, I would strongly suggest buying a one from a reputable company.
I agree so I should also add that I purchased the light I referenced in my post only after a very good friend of mine recommended it. He's been riding with one on his bike for about 3 years now and he's had no problems with the light at all. Safety first! Merry Christmas, time to go out for a ride!!

Old 12-25-2015, 02:40 PM
Freak Show
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 510 Likes on 448 Posts

so what is the brightest LED replacement bulb you can buy that fits into the stock headlight?

Old 12-25-2015, 02:46 PM
deadman77
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 137 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Freak Show
so what is the brightest LED replacement bulb you can buy that fits into the stock headlight?
I bought one of these.

http://www.fuelmotousa.com/i-2112160...ment-bulb.html
Price is right and works very well. You do have to remove the rubber seal at the back of the bulb assembly.

Attached Thumbnails Daymaker knockoff headlights-dscn3908.jpg   Daymaker knockoff headlights-dscn3909.jpg  
Old 12-25-2015, 02:52 PM
Freak Show
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 510 Likes on 448 Posts

why do you have to remove it..looks super bright

Old 12-25-2015, 03:02 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 484 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by armydgp

At that price, your pretty darn close to a Truck Lite. And they aren't a knockofff of anything. They are a known proven light.

Old 12-25-2015, 07:00 PM
bp03
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

JW Speaker/Daymaker vs Knockoff comparison.

http://betterautomotivelighting.com/tag/knockoff/

Is almost double the price worth probably the higher quality? Up to you. I think for the 150 the knock-offs are going for is a hell of a price, But I am also big on reliability so I sprung for the new Daymaker. Keep in mind the above posted comparison is with the V1 daymaker.

I think a good in between is the Truck-Lite, I see them for around 200. I would have no concerns running them, our trucks in Afghanistan ran the 7 inchers for headlights and never really gave too many problems.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Daymaker knockoff headlights