General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A "supertune" on a 08FXSTC ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2015, 04:25 PM
TheTallMan
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default A "supertune" on a 08FXSTC ?

Hello Gentlemen, Today i had the pleasure of conversing with a Harley tech at a dealership in SW OHIO. I listened as he explained how a dyno works. He then said that they were able to do a "supertune" for 1000 bucks. He even said that fuel moto and powervision are NOT a reliable as everyone says.
The bike in question is a 2008 Softail custom 96 stage 1.
His job is to SELL Harley services and parts. I UNDERSTAND that, but is there a such thing as a "supertune"?
My first bike and im not mechanically inclined as everyone else here may be but Ill get there.
Also , what is an INDY, i read ppl here refer to?
Thank you all for your wisdom......And the bashing im about to get!

Old 12-26-2015, 04:36 PM
wwiiavfan
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,103 Likes on 489 Posts

Originally Posted by TheTallMan
Hello Gentlemen, Today i had the pleasure of conversing with a Harley tech at a dealership in SW OHIO. I listened as he explained how a dyno works. He then said that they were able to do a "supertune" for 1000 bucks. He even said that fuel moto and powervision are NOT a reliable as everyone says.
The bike in question is a 2008 Softail custom 96 stage 1.
His job is to SELL Harley services and parts. I UNDERSTAND that, but is there a such thing as a "supertune"?
My first bike and im not mechanically inclined as everyone else here may be but Ill get there.
Also , what is an INDY, i read ppl here refer to?
Thank you all for your wisdom......And the bashing im about to get!
Yeah, but you gotta have the Snap-On supertune 6500 digital USB 36.5 adapter and the right kind of hydraulic lift to accomplish this.

Ah, I'm just yankin yer chain...and so is your tech, in my opinion.

All kidding aside, indy refers to an independent (non-Harley dealer) mechanic. Tend to be a little bit more straight shooters than the dealer techs, since they don't necessarily have to sell you something.

Old 12-26-2015, 07:19 PM
torchmaster
Road Warrior
Received 156 Likes on 99 Posts

My dealer calls it a smart tune. No dyno time just downloads and vtune. They might get it running really good or really bad depending on how experienced they are or aren't with efi and tuning. I would go with fuel moto over any dealer any day. They live efi and building motors and maps for those builds. Ask anyone who has ever dealt with them and your decision will be easy.

Old 12-26-2015, 11:21 PM
OldEnuf2NoBtr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,811 Likes on 1,064 Posts

This Tech that you speak of in SW Ohio, does he have a last name of Barnum by chance?

Old 12-27-2015, 06:53 AM
richie
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Shop around , a super tune for a 1000 bucks with a stage 1 will not give you the surprise in power you are expecting . The only surprise will be the amount of moneys you spent to find this out.

Old 12-27-2015, 01:32 PM
Bingee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 349 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by wwiiavfan

... indy refers to an independent (non-Harley dealer) mechanic. Tend to be a little bit more straight shooters than the dealer techs, since they don't necessarily have to sell you something.
There's no basis at all to say that. None. I've yet to have a dealer tech not be straight with me just to sell something. Never heard of it happening either. And I've been around a lot of them since the 60's. If anybody believes they're a shady bunch, why in the world buy their motorcycles.

Old 12-27-2015, 01:42 PM
Rick58
Road Warrior
Received 325 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by OldEnuf2NoBtr
This Tech that you speak of in SW Ohio, does he have a last name of Barnum by chance?
Probably his cousin Bailey.

Old 12-27-2015, 10:02 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 571 Posts

The tune he is talking about used to be called SERT. But now is the SE Super Pro.

However it is not legal for street use as it is a race tune for the drag strip or race track and not compliant with EPA emissions.

With it, a lap top and a cable connector to the ecm you can check after each run and fine tune the set up based on the read outs.

That is the set up that I have on my 13 Dyna drag bike with the 120R.

The bike has a 62mm heavy breather intake. 6.2 gram injectors and the most radical SE cam with 10.5 compression pistons. I can be advanced to a 12.5 piston and 6,7 gram injectors. But it barley idles with the current set up. The max set up typically yields 150 hp but the current set up is at 135 at the rear wheel and that is about this 75 year old heart can endure.

I did one bike for the street with the 120ST and the SEPST tune which is street legal. The engine is the same as the R in all ways except the tune,5.7 gram injectors, 58mm heavy breather and a less radical cam. It is a very smooth running engine and still has awesome torque. I didn't dyno it but typical results are 112 hp at the rear wheel with 122 torque,

And yes a SE SUPER PRO tune can go in any FI HD engine. If you can find a dealer that wants to risk a $10,000 EPA fine per unit that they instal go for it the $1K fee for the tuner, instal and dyno is about right. Skip the dyno as the tune will be very close to what your existing set up is and you can adjust it yourself. Doing wot launches will provide the data needed to adjust it to optimum.

To the negative comments that some posters stated abut HD techs and dealers just because have a bike does mean that you know shitz.

Last edited by lh4x4; 12-27-2015 at 10:42 PM.