General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Items for sale which aren't as advertised

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2015, 11:05 PM
Jaystn62
Stellar HDF Member

Received 213 Likes on 155 Posts
Default Items for sale which aren't as advertised

I have never posted in this section of the forum before and I may be wrong for posting here. Just a general bitch about people posting things for sale that not are what they claim to be and or asking you to pay full retail price for a used item that you can get it new at an online store for much less. And when you call them out on the price or the item they get defensive. And it's just not here. I see it on FB pages and others. Do people just not research what they have? Are they taking the word of a buddy? If you are posting something online and it has a part # then you should research it before you try to sell it. Evidently you can since you are selling it online. I'm venting I know. But I just seen someone trying to sell a stock Road King seat as a Sundowner on a social media site. When I suggested to check the part #. I was told if I wasn't buying the seat to leave him be...his words.

Old 12-27-2015, 11:14 PM
White Ice
Stellar HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 184 Posts

People need to research before they buy. You were given good advice.

Standard practice on a lot of forums....When you see an item that interests you, ask questions. If you're not buying, move along.

Old 12-27-2015, 11:19 PM
Jaystn62
Stellar HDF Member

Should you let someone buy something you know is not as advertised....just turn a blind eye? We spend enough on these bikes without someone trying to take advantage of that.

Old 12-27-2015, 11:22 PM
bdtaylor1979
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 228 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaystn62
I have never posted in this section of the forum before and I may be wrong for posting here. Just a general bitch about people posting things for sale that not are what they claim to be and or asking you to pay full retail price for a used item that you can get it new at an online store for much less. And when you call them out on the price or the item they get defensive. And it's just not here. I see it on FB pages and others. Do people just not research what they have? Are they taking the word of a buddy? If you are posting something online and it has a part # then you should research it before you try to sell it. Evidently you can since you are selling it online. I'm venting I know. But I just seen someone trying to sell a stock Road King seat as a Sundowner on a social media site. When I suggested to check the part #. I was told if I wasn't buying the seat to leave him be...his words.
Sounds like he was trying to pull one over on people and he got mad when you exposed him. I say good job for that.

Old 12-27-2015, 11:25 PM
Qdog002
Stellar HDF Member
Received 866 Likes on 546 Posts

I`m with you on this J. Sometimes they really don`t know what they have and are grateful for you pointing it out. Other times they are complete a$$es about it.

Old 12-27-2015, 11:29 PM
Bone Doc
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,863 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Your intentions are good. In all cases, the buyer will likely be happy you exposed the problem with the sale and the seller won't.

Ultimately, it's between the buyer and seller. As the old saying goes... Caveat emptor

Old 12-27-2015, 11:37 PM
Jaystn62
Stellar HDF Member

Exactly...but I've seen several over last couple years do this. One in for instance was asking close to full retail for a set of slip on mufflers and when someone brought up"which wasn't me" that you could get them new ( with free shipping ) much cheaper I started watching the ads here and on social media pages. It seems to be pretty common. Sad...all I know to say. Just watch what you buy on here or any other forum or social media. I'm no expert...but if you ask I'll try to research anything you want if I'm available at the time. What I seen earlier with Road King seat was a joke. Hope the person didn't buy it.

Old 12-27-2015, 11:46 PM
DBlass
Tourer
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

It is too bad when there is no honor among the theives. I answered an ad in Craigslist for a Harley hammock seat. The seller wrote a fairly involved story about wanting a heated version instead of the one he just "bought". He told me his story that after 500 or so miles, he and his wife wanted the heated version. He was really friendly and all but his story really never rang true. I never checked the part number of the seat that I bought. It turns out that it was a stock seat off of his brand new 2015 Ultra Limited. It was a big improvement over my old worn (and wide) 2009 RK seat (early 2009 seats were very wide at the front). I don't mind the seat and for $225, it was an "ok" deal, but I don't know why he had to lie about it.

Old 12-27-2015, 11:47 PM
Bone Doc
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,863 Likes on 4,113 Posts

It's not just parts. How many people overvalue their bike when they go to sell it? They expect to get every cent they spent on parts and accessories back when they sell the bike.

There are scammers in every corner of the world and every aspect of our lives. We're not in Mayberry any more, Paw!

Old 12-28-2015, 02:57 AM
Bluraven
Grand HDF Member
Received 753 Likes on 461 Posts

As a prospective buyer you could certainly make an offer.
If you're not a prospective buyer, then just shake your head at the price and move on.

If someone pays too much for something it's their business not yours.
Unless you're buying, keep your opinions about the price to yourself.

If someone has described something incorrectly, there's nothing wrong with informing them of the error.

Quick Reply: Items for sale which aren't as advertised