General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My biggest fear; front end blowout/mechanical failure

Old 12-28-2015, 10:53 PM
Jax Teller
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My biggest fear; front end blowout/mechanical failure

This is a thread for all of the p.ussys of this forum to cine and talk **** and act tough because they're "bikers"!

Last edited by Jax Teller; 12-31-2015 at 11:50 AM.
Old 12-28-2015, 11:06 PM
Iarecobra
Road Master
Received 58 Likes on 54 Posts

With proper maintenance front end complete failure is minimum. I'm more concerned about the other drivers. The texters. The drunk drivers. The ones who "didn't see you" and rear end you at a stop light, or pull out 5 feet in front of you when your cruising down the road.

Old 12-28-2015, 11:07 PM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,371 Likes on 2,947 Posts

It sounds to me like you don't understand how things work up front. Once you gain this knowledge, your fears should mitigate to an acceptable level. Find a mechanic that can show you the inner workings of your front end. Bearings/races/lubrication. All of it.

Since you've been riding "a few months", I'd say enroll in an advanced rider course. Hopefully, you've ridden 4 or 5,000 miles in those "few months..."
This should help minimize your fears too. Riding scared isn't enjoyable.

Your protective gear is a choice. Make a better choice!
Asphalt is very hard...and, it's quite abrasive (by design.)

Humans, on the other hand, are soft and squishy, (and taste great with hot sauce.) But I digress.

Anyway, keep on keeping on!

Old 12-28-2015, 11:09 PM
EZRider76
Cruiser
Location: Aspen, Colorado-living in a trailer, 4 part time jobs & a 15 yr old HD
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You might consider riding one of those new (HD Forums) double-front wheel nightmares. If you blow a front tire you'll have a spare...
Seriously though, try listening to music to take your mind of those dark thots. First time I road on a 4 lane interstate at 70+ I was scared shitless. I was wearing a full face helmet and started singing out loud to myself to calm my nerves. After about an hour I was right as rain....
I would consider ditching the name too, that might help...

Old 12-28-2015, 11:13 PM
Jax Teller
Banned

Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ
It sounds to me like you don't understand how things work up front. Once you gain this knowledge, your fears should mitigate to an acceptable level. Find a mechanic that can show you the inner workings of your front end. Bearings/races/lubrication. All of it.

Since you've been riding "a few months", I'd say enroll in an advanced rider course. Hopefully, you've ridden 4 or 5,000 miles in those "few months..."
This should help minimize your fears too. Riding scared isn't enjoyable.

Your protective gear is a choice. Make a better choice!
Asphalt is very hard...and, it's quite abrasive (by design.)

Humans, on the other hand, are soft and squishy, (and taste great with hot sauce.) But I digress.

Anyway, keep on keeping on!
Even if the front end is unlikely to mechanically fail, I assume a front tire blowout while my speed > 75 mph would be quite the pickle to be in, no?

Old 12-28-2015, 11:17 PM
bdtaylor1979
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 228 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by Iarecobra
With proper maintenance front end complete failure is minimum. I'm more concerned about the other drivers. The texters. The drunk drivers. The ones who "didn't see you" and rear end you at a stop light, or pull out 5 feet in front of you when your cruising down the road.
Same here.

Old 12-28-2015, 11:25 PM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member
Received 167 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Jax Teller
Even if the front end is unlikely to mechanically fail, I assume a front tire blowout while my speed > 75 mph would be quite the pickle to be in, no?
I had a front tire blow-out instantaneously (tube tire) at 85mph. It was really no big deal. The worst part of it was as I was slowing (gently) the squirminess got worse the slower i got. As I remember (this was about 7 or 8 years ago) the worst part of the entire ordeal was from about 40mph to zero.

Luckily I was travelling in a straight line. If it happened leaned over in a turn I'm sure it would be much worse. But in a straight line like riding down the Interstate it was really no big deal.

Old 12-28-2015, 11:25 PM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,667 Likes on 1,660 Posts

"I'm more at home and relaxed on my bike than anywhere else in the world."

If your post is any indication of what you are like when you are relaxed, you must be one nervous guy.

There is something rather absurd about riding down a busy, multi lane highway on a motorcycle. For all practical purposes, you are sitting there in a chair, completely exposed, going 70MPH, cars all around you, and if any one of them ****s up you could be dead in seconds.

If you turn that into "worry", you're doing it wrong. Turn it into alertness instead. All worry does is clutter your mind with things you can't control.

If you have real doubts about the condition of your bike, get that addressed. You should always be 100% confident in your mechanicals.

Old 12-28-2015, 11:39 PM
JustOneDean
Road Warrior
Received 67 Likes on 49 Posts

Every time you swing a leg over the saddle, there's no guarantee you're coming back in the same shape you leave in, or even that you're coming back at all. Once you just accept that, it's much easier to enjoy the ride.

Old 12-28-2015, 11:45 PM
Jax Teller
Banned

[QUOTE=0maha;14696421]"I'm more at home and relaxed on my bike than anywhere else in the world."

"If your post is any indication of what you are like when you are relaxed, you must be one nervous guy."

My post refers to my biggest fear. So, no, it's not an indication of what I'm like when I'm relaxed..obviously. To be clear, this is not the way I feel all the time. It's when I've been doing around 85 mph for 20 mins or more and dark thoughts try to take over my mind.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My biggest fear; front end blowout/mechanical failure