General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ceramic Coated Exhaust and or Heat Wrap

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2015, 11:57 AM
awlsnsr85
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ceramic Coated Exhaust and or Heat Wrap

I've been thinking about putting True Dual on my Fatboy however due to the heat on the left leg i'm going to put Ceramic Coating on the pipes. If done properly is it true you can touch the pipes after 30 minutes of riding and it will be warm but not hot to the touch?
How about Heat Wrap, how effective will that be?

Last edited by awlsnsr85; 12-29-2015 at 12:02 PM.
Old 12-29-2015, 12:13 PM
E8USMCRET
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 20,250 Likes on 6,546 Posts

My Samson's are ceramic coated from the factory and they cool real fast even on hot days.

Old 12-29-2015, 12:41 PM
wwiiavfan
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,077 Likes on 487 Posts

I'd go ceramic if I were going to do it. Wrap looks nice at first, but I'm not a fan of how it looks after some time.
Maybe the method of installation of the wrap makes a difference in appearance over time??

Old 12-29-2015, 01:29 PM
PanHeadRich
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by awlsnsr85
I've been thinking about putting True Dual on my Fatboy however due to the heat on the left leg i'm going to put Ceramic Coating on the pipes. If done properly is it true you can touch the pipes after 30 minutes of riding and it will be warm but not hot to the touch?
I highly doubt that ceramic coated pipes run cool enough to touch while riding. Probably ok for a quick touch, but probably not with prolonged contact. I'd love to believe that though. Somebody please advise if you know otherwise. It would help justify the expense of having it done. I was quoted $300 to coat my little 2 into 1 header pipe, so I went the cheap route of exhaust wrap. Even with the wrap, if your pant leg is in prolonged contact with a section of exhaust, it will burn. So I'm using wrap with heat shields. The combo does work great now, but yeah, the appearance of the wrap does go to crap over time. It's also been said that wrap will cause your pipes to brittle & crack. Other say as long as the pipes & wrap aren't exposed to dampness, it wouldn't be an issue. I personally think ceramic coating with the use of heat shields would be ideal.

Old 12-29-2015, 01:43 PM
OldEnuf2NoBtr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,811 Likes on 1,064 Posts

Originally Posted by awlsnsr85
Let me know when you're going to experiment with touching the pipes after 30 minutes of riding so I can be there with a camera to film it. I haven't posted anything funny to You-tube in a while!

Old 12-29-2015, 02:26 PM
sharpshooter
Road Warrior
Received 148 Likes on 63 Posts

Not hi jacking a thread but.. If a guy is in business doing powder coating. Is it safe to assume he can ceramic coat stuff too?

Old 12-29-2015, 04:51 PM
PanHeadRich
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by sharpshooter
Not hi jacking a thread but.. If a guy is in business doing powder coating. Is it safe to assume he can ceramic coat stuff too?
Not from what I experience when calling around. I was checking on both, Powder & Ceramic. I didn't find any shops that offered both. In fact I found local Powder Coat companies all over the place. But very few companies to offer Ceramic Coating. Which is another turn-off for me. Nearest is about 1.5 hours away.

Old 12-29-2015, 07:07 PM
69thumper
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ceramic coating works quite well if done inside & out. pipes will be cool enough to touch abt. 20 minutes after shutting down your bike. had a set of triumph pipes done awhile back, turned out great.

Old 12-29-2015, 07:52 PM
OldEnuf2NoBtr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,811 Likes on 1,064 Posts

Originally Posted by sharpshooter
Powder Coating and Ceramic Coating are two different processes entirely.

Old 12-30-2015, 05:58 AM
peg20
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Heat wraps are good if you want that "held together by rust" look. They hold in the moisture, maximising the potential for rust. Also collect all the road grime without the ability to clean it out, for a true "rat bike" look. Is that what you're going for?

Quick Reply: Ceramic Coated Exhaust and or Heat Wrap