General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Bike

Old 12-31-2015, 12:55 AM
Bibbles
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Bike

So I've been trying to figure out what'd be best for my first bike. I wanted something that could seat me and my girl comfortably. She's your average sized girl so I'm not too concerned about her but I'm 6' 4" and am worried about getting a bike that's too small. But at the same time, I still want the bike to have a little attitude. I was thinking about a Dyna Wide Glide, but I'm not exactly an expert on Harley-Davidson.

Old 12-31-2015, 01:22 AM
PanHeadRich
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 53 Posts

Dyna's are a great choice! I kinda like the Low Rider myself.

Old 12-31-2015, 05:42 AM
Mxdad
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 456 Likes on 356 Posts

Get ready to hear that you should not buy a Harley as a first bike but instead get a smaller metric cruiser and ride it for a year or so. While I think that is not necessarily bad advise the fact is not all people are the same. Folks come into bike riding with different experiences, skill sets, natural ability etc... Lets face it riding a bike is not rocket science, but you also have to put in the effort to become more skilled. Experience is often the best teacher and you will find that no matter how long you ride you will learn something new each ride. Most important is to ride within your ability

I do think there is a lot said for taking a riding course as a new rider, starting slow and spending time in empty parking lots and country roads with little traffic.

My first street bike was a Wide Glide back in 03. Prior to that I road dirt bikes some as a kid but it had been 20+ years since I had spent any measurable amount of time on a bike and never had any experience riding a the streets. The only real experience I had on a street bike was again 20 years prior when I put a few miles on a cousins Honda (I think it was around a 500cc) riding around the small town he lived while visiting one weekend as a teenager. other than those experiences in my teens I spun a lab or two every now and then on one of my sons MX race bikes as he was growing up.

When I was 40 with a huge desire to own a Harley a good friend who rode invited me and my wife to tag along with him and other friends for a ride on the Natchez Trace on Sunday afternoon. His brother who was looking to sale his Springer loaned me his bike for the day. I am not sure who was more crazy, him for allowing a newb to take his bike for the day or me for taking my first real ride 2 up with my wife. Needless to say that trip was wonderful and I was hooked. I studied up enough on different models and test rode a few to see that the Wide Glide seemed to fit me the best. 2 weeks later I purchased my first street bike and it was a Wide Glide. After many miles with many rides through the Smokies, Rockys, Black Hills etc... I do not regret the Harley being my first real bike. I started slow and spent a good bit of time getting comfortable in empty parking lots and on slow country roads getting comfortable on the bike and developing my skills.

Bottom line is your first bike is your decision, getting a smaller metric to learn on or getting a Harley its up to you. Both options have their pros and cons, in the end trust your instinct and most important be honest with yourself as to your skill and ability. Don't make the decision solely off what worked for other people it has to work for you, but you have to be honest with yourself in accessing your skill and ability

I am 6'7" and the Wide Glide fits me great with some mods made to the bars to make it more comfortable and 3" extensions on the forward controls to allow me to stretch out even further and a Mustang seat to make the wife more comfortable. Off the shelf the WG will be comfortable for you and will be suitable for any ride you and your wife want to make. I would suggest going to the dealership and test riding different models and see what fits you the best and which one screams "I am the bike you want". With the abundance of aftermarket parts available just about any bike can be set up to be comfortable. I do believe for the taller rider the WG is going to give you one of the most comfortable bases to work from

Last edited by Mxdad; 12-31-2015 at 05:45 AM.
Old 12-31-2015, 06:53 AM
Ikelove
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 12,103 Likes on 3,784 Posts

Most of what can be said on this topic was just covered in this thread:

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/gener...sportster.html

Old 12-31-2015, 07:42 AM
UUNetBill
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 417 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by Mxdad
...I am not sure who was more crazy, him for allowing a newb to take his bike for the day or me for taking my first real ride 2 up with my wife.
Let me answer that for you: He was. WAY more crazy.

Old 12-31-2015, 07:58 AM
YeOldeStonecat
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,098 Likes on 1,490 Posts

A Dyna (FX chassis) can certainly be fine for 2-up riding. My prior ride was an '06 Street Bob...redone a bit to be more like an old SuperGlide.

I am 6'5" and 210 lbs...my wife is 5'5" and back when was around 140 lbs, and we put a lot of 2-up miles on Josie (the bike).

I had the 2-up seat, mini sissy bar, I also put on highway pegs so I could stretch my legs....and I used my heels for braking and shifting. I also left the mid controls on, for occasional spiritied twisties riding..so my legs and feet had the "best of both worlds".

Here's a pic of how she was done up...

Old 12-31-2015, 08:09 AM
HKMark23
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,934 Likes on 1,111 Posts

My 2014 Breakout purchased Sept 2013 is my first. IMHO, a Rider Safety Course and ABS brakes will be your friends as a new rider. A MC with attitude is doable but riding with attitude,, not so much. Ride carefully, conservatively, and using planned routes and times which tax your riding abilities least at first. You may be well advised not to ride 2 up at first also. Mxdad's advice is sound.

Old 12-31-2015, 08:27 AM
Peter Chadwell
Cruiser
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I bought my first bike this year in May. It is a 2014 Wide Glide. I had been admiring the wideglide for a few years and finally decided to get one.I just turned 39 last month. I honestly can't believe I waited so long. I love it. Like others have said previously, Take the basic riders course. It will help you out so much. Good luck with whatever bike you decide.

Old 12-31-2015, 09:08 AM
Mxdad
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 456 Likes on 356 Posts

Originally Posted by UUNetBill
Let me answer that for you: He was. WAY more crazy.
LOL I'd agree.

Old 12-31-2015, 10:45 AM
Bibbles
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe my use of the word "attitude" wasn't a good idea. Maybe "style" would have been better word. I probably came off like a bit of an arrogant ***, huh? Well, I simply meant that I wanted something with that nice sleek look the Wide Glide offers. And I would never dream of putting anyone I cared about on the back until I feel VERY confident on two wheels. You've all given me something to consider. Thanks.

Last edited by Bibbles; 12-31-2015 at 10:49 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: First Bike