General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking of converting

Old 12-31-2015, 07:05 AM
Lloyd Turner
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking of converting

My last Harley was a 72 Kick start superglide.

My two month old Ness Victory Cross country was found burnt ruined in my garage the 15th. How it did not burn down my whole home is a mystery. Investigation to commence after holidays. I don't need a fire starter motorcycle in my garage-house again. I have a Victory veags still and a GS 1200 BMW.

I am looking to get a Harley again. I need the riding position and wind protection because I am getting to old for other bikes. Wife is cancer survivor, but she will not be riding much.

I want some good handling as much as possible. The cross country did that pretty well.

Any help on what model of Harley I might pursue would be appreciated.

I will try and post a picture of the Victory. Polaris is being very quiet. My insurance company is after them..

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/c...IMG_1079_1.jpg

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/c...1/IMG_1044.jpg

Old 12-31-2015, 07:18 AM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,784 Likes on 9,863 Posts

Oooof. Sorry about your luck on that. I'll avoid all the cheap shots.

Welcome to the Forum from Colorado!

If you're used to riding a touring bike, A Road Glide, or Electra Glide are the bikes to look at. Take one of each for a test ride! Good luck with your search.

Old 12-31-2015, 07:32 AM
UUNetBill
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 417 Likes on 247 Posts

Sorry to hear about your bike and garage - that's not good. But at least it didn't take your house, so there's that.

The Cross-Country is, I believe, Victory's shot at a Street Glide. The CC Touring was more of a Electra Glide competitor. Although the Street Glide looks great, it loses an inch of suspension travel compared to the other HD touring bikes. I'd agree that the Road Glide should be on your short list. And I think the Ness versions are Victory's 'customs' so if you don't mind dropping the coin, you can look at the HD CVO bikes - good features but not cheap.

Glad you're both okay, the garage can be fixed - and I hope whatever you end up getting gives you years of great riding...

Old 12-31-2015, 07:34 AM
MikeBel
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,491 Likes on 636 Posts

Welcome to the forum. Wow, so glad for you that the fire only consumed the bike! That was a small miracle!

Might want to look at the Dyna Switchback. Smaller & lighter than the big touring bikes but with power (103 motor), bags and windshield. Lot of people like'em.

Best of Luck, it's obviously already on your side!

Old 12-31-2015, 07:34 AM
Lloyd Turner
Novice

Bring the cheap shots. The Victory guys are in pure hatred for me posting a pic on their forum of my experience. I have found 2 other X bikes that might have done the same if someone was not around to hear the bike churning. My Dowco bike cover saved my whole place. It contained the issue till battery terminal melted off battery. Bike was two months old..

Anyways. I have to have automobile type cruise, lower back support and tunes.

Old 12-31-2015, 07:39 AM
JMC22
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 328 Likes on 243 Posts

Take a stroll thru the touring section of the forums - great info to be found there.

As QC said, test ride several prior to buying - now is a great time to purchase, either thru the Dealer, CL or local posting.

Let us know how you fare and the results of the fire investigation - karma was with you in only losing the bike and not the whole house.

Old 12-31-2015, 07:43 AM
Lloyd Turner
Novice

Fire is life threatening and I do not think Polaris can convince me to return to any of their products at this point. The insurance is really going after them big time. I never seen anything like it in my 40 yrs of auto body business. This is going to be interesting.

Old 12-31-2015, 07:50 AM
UUNetBill
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Lloyd Turner
Anyways. I have to have automobile type cruise, lower back support and tunes.
That kind of eliminates the Switchback and Heritage - I think any of the touring bikes will have electronic cruise, the Road King won't have tunes standard (windshield vs. fairing) but the Street Glides, Road Glides, Electra Glides will all have cruise and tunes. All have handlebar mounted batwing fairings except the Road Glide which has a frame mounted fairing. People who buy the Road Glides fall in love with them, but the looks are controversial, some love 'em, some not so much. But the Roadie gets great reviews as a highway tourer.

As to back support, you're probably gonna have to get an aftermarket seat if you want good support. I know HD has some seats with rider/passenger backrests but most will tell you that an aftermarket seat (I use a Mustang with rider backrest) will give you the best bang for your buck.

Best thing you can do is to know what kind of riding you're going to be doing, what is important to you, and what your budget is and then hit the HD website, then the dealer.

Good luck.

Old 12-31-2015, 08:36 AM
Bluraven
Grand HDF Member
Received 751 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by UUNetBill
That kind of eliminates the Switchback and Heritage -
The 2016 Heritage does have factory cruise.
Also you can always add tunes via handlebar mounts or do as I have and add a full fairing with tunes.

As for the back; there are many nice aftermarket seats out there to provide outstanding support.

I think the OP needs to visit a local dealer and view all the bikes that are available.
Then dwindle down the selection by what appeals to them to the eye.
Then they can start looking at all the options from the short list and start taking some test rides.

Old 12-31-2015, 08:48 AM
UUNetBill
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Bluraven
The 2016 Heritage does have factory cruise.
Also you can always add tunes via handlebar mounts or do as I have and add a full fairing with tunes.
Thanks for letting me know - I didn't know they'd added that as standard. Nice...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Thinking of converting